The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 188

User Info Menu

I just got it out to measure for the benefit of anyone who might like to know....

Mounting rod dia.= 3.26mm or .128"
    Width= 23.65mm or .931"
    Width where the cable enters the pickup= 30.42mm or 1.198"
    Thickness= 9.2mm or .361"
    Length= 84.34mm or 3.320"

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

this 1100 comes with the neck mount rod and the Monkey stick.

If you wanted to mount the 1100 using the neck rod what would become of the volume control? Might it be possible to create a volume pot for the 1100 and mount it to the pick guard, as opposed to using the original old style vol-tone control?

I prefer the look of the 1100 mounted to the pre 90 Guild Artist Awards.

User Info Menu

Yes, there is. That's why the other shorter bracket (rod) is included in the sale.

User Info Menu

Seems a lot of money for a re-issue....I say that because originals usually have a resistance of around 15K ohms; this one seems to measure under 7K, by the look of the pic. And the cap is new...

Sorry, not answering yr question. People used to fix the control box to the underside of the pick guard

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Yes, there is. That's why the other shorter bracket (rod) is included in the sale.
    Yes, but in using the neck rod mount are you snipping the wire to the existing volume control and routing the wire to a proper volume pot mounted to the pickguard?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    People used to fix the control box to the underside of the pick guard
    Yes, I've seen that done. But Guild didn't do that on the Artist Award. That's the mounting configuration I'm most interested in.

User Info Menu

In the old days the volume/tone box did get mounted to the pickguard. I have a '50 Gretsch Synchromatic that has a Screw on the pickguard just for that arrangement. Absent a DeArmond, the pickguard has a "for nothing" screw through the real estate back near the bridge.

I have seen many a D'Angelico, Gretsch, Gibson, etc., with an 1100 mounted on a neck rod and the controls mounted to the ass end of the pickguard. Very 40s-50s period looking.

User Info Menu

edit - Were there "reissues" this exact, with the MS and volume-tone parts? I've only seen the reissue 1100 with pickup only. There's one of those on ebay for $350.

per the owner of the 1100 he's selling all original parts. Could it be Franz you're simply mistaken, or assuming this is a reissue?

Guys, I'm not interested in retro mount info....please read original post. Thanks.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 12-09-2014 at 06:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I took the guts out of the control box and mounted the pot and knob to my pickguard with a normal hole, then routed the output to a Vintage Jack mounted in the endpin hole.

User Info Menu

So, is that newish looking cap and solder job part of the tone-switch disconnection mentioned by the seller? That's a lot of cash for a unit that was disabled and then refurbed. Just my opinion. I am no expert, but I have built a few radios and worked on a few amps and other small electronics from the 40s-80s, and if it were me, I'd get an expert to take a look at the close up of that cap and solder job; not a lot of oxidation on it compared to the rest of the solder work. It could well be the original cap, but I would want an expert's opinion. Again, just my opinion. I hope it all goes well for you, 2B. You might have GUYBODEN (if he's still around the board) take a look at the close up photo - he designs and builds all sorts of electronics and has knowledge of old gear.

User Info Menu

Doesn't look like a reissue, to me. Don't know about the impedance, but it looks like an original 1100.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    per the owner of the 1100 he's selling all original parts. Could it be Franz you're simply mistaken, or assuming this is a reissue?

Admittedly I've never seen a re-issue 1100, so it's a guess, and I could be mistaken.

But, I did have an original 1100 on an AA a few years ago. The pickup arrived DOA from a well known US vendor/ player, so I had to open it up and reconnect the corroded coil wire. This gave me a good look at the internal wiring, and the unusual rubber magnets.

What I can say is that clearly the control box cap isn't original, and that my original 1100 read about 15K DC resistance. I understand that this was the standard winding, and a quick look yesterday at another 1100 for sale on ebay has a winding at around 17K. But, I suppose it's possible this pickup has been ( incorrectly) rewound - it reads 6.9K, less than half the usual winding resistance.

I'd want some reassurance if I was considering buying this item. If it was genuine and I was selling it, I'd expect to have to explain the very unusual low coil reading; the high resistance coil/ low magnetic strength of the pickup is a key part of the 1100 characteristic sound.

Incidentally, genuine 1100s sound great on AAs...

User Info Menu

The 6.96Kohm is a red flag. I have seen resistance being reported as between 11.5Kohm and 15.5Kohm of those I have seen sold.

How about just getting a close-sounding one from Kent Armstrong? I am pretty happy with a Johnny Smith mini-humbucker pickup unless you just absolutely have to have that sound.

2bop, just watching out for your back, buddy. I tried with that GBJS but you doubted my sincerity. (I had a side bet with a forum bro that it would not last a month with you. We were both wrong. You put it up for sale in under a week.) I can sense GAS bubbling up within you...again. Caveat Emptor.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 12-10-2014 at 07:03 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a feeling the reissue pickups are wound at this lower resistance.

Re the KA pickup, I tried that one first, and can confirm it does sound very similar, when used on the 11k winding tap. It's a great option IMO. I then got the 1100 because ( the shame of it..) I wanted it to look right. I also made a short rod ( but couldn't face piling into that weird thread)

It worked out though...it was a breeze to sell at much more than what I paid for it, with the 1100 on it...

User Info Menu

Franz, I'm thinking what you're thinking. And I think you may be right. Note that the real DeArmond 1100 has a date stamp on its backside. 14.53Kohm reads one. 17.68Kohm reads the other. 6.96Kohm is unusually low.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    The 6.96Kohm is a red flag. I have seen resistance being reported as between 11.5Kohm and 15.5Kohm of those I have seen sold.

How about just getting a close-sounding one from Kent Armstrong? I am pretty happy with a Johnny Smith mini-humbucker pickup unless you just absolutely have to have that sound.

2bop, just watching out for your back, buddy. I tried with that GBJS but you doubted my sincerity. (I had a side bet with a forum bro that it would not last a month with you. We were both wrong. You put it up for sale in under a week.) I can sense GAS bubbling up within you...again. Caveat Emptor.
    Thanks for the backup to the backup J-Dub!

For me, a DeArmond 1100 is like a Gibson L5 WesMo...Until I actually owned one, I had to own one.

You were both wrong on the GBJSA. It's still here for now. I may keep it...I'm undecided. But it was very nice of me to place it on the forum at a ridiculous price for the benefit of other members, yes?

Your warning was appreciated, but it was on the bucket list, so a guys got to do what a guys got to do. I understood your concerns, but regarding the scale length it was a non issue. No playability issues on the GBJSA...it plays like an L5 in my hands. Try one, you'll like it. Finest acoustic archtop you never played. Patrick was right. Uh-ohhh

User Info Menu

It's a great pickup, but it's not going to blow your socks off with a universe of previously unheard, or even unimagined, sound quality. I am not sorry I got one (with a neck rod) for my '47 non-cut blonde L-5, because if resale ever became necessary, it will likely enhance rather than detract from the value. And it certainly sounds really good. It's kind of like a slightly more hi-fi PAF.

But again, it will not change the world as you know it. $1,000 will buy a buttload of lessons, sheet music, fine wine, CDs, dinners out, or even electric bills. Proceed as you see fit...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback RP. So why's everyone making such a fuss, some on other threads defining it as the finest floater ever made?

User Info Menu

My guesses are that first of all, it IS one of the finest floaters ever made. And I don't think it's been properly cloned in a package that is affordable and readily available. I just don't necessarily think it's such a mind-boggling improvement over some other models, like, for example, the KA 12 pole floater. The KA is much bigger, though.

Consider the original PAF humbucker, too, as one of the world's best ever pickups. But one will note that there are a zillion PAF clones, from factory cheap to boutique clones also claiming their share of grail status. So the originals are mainly fodder for collectors and people who like/need to have the "very best" of everything, or who must have OEM parts in a vintage guitar.

The 1100 is adjustable and fully useable with both nickel and bronze strings - which until fairly recently there were not too many options in that category. A Johnny Smith floater is old enough to be considered, but it has a brighter sound. The 1100 is (and all the DeArmonds are) very thin so it fits on lots of vintage guitars where even a Johnny Smith won't, and the KA 2D is a recent product relatively speaking. Plus the latter is not adjustable.

Sheer rarity draws the high price, I imagine, along with the factors above. I'm just saying it's not literally going to shake your world, at least I don't think so.

User Info Menu

The RC 1100 that is used on the new Guild AP Artist Award, and is supposed to be an exact recreation of the original RC 1100, is now available for purchase on the Guild website for $129.00!

Guild DeArmond Rhythm Chief 1100 Pickup - Gold | Guild Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    The RC 1100 that is used on the new Guild AP Artist Award, and is supposed to be an exact recreation of the original RC 1100, is now available for purchase on the Guild website for $129.00!

https://shop.guildguitars.com/produc...0-pickup-gold/
    Now that's a find whose time has come. Nice one snoskier.

What's going on with the far left edge though? Is that a beveled raised edge or a reflection on the top of the far left edge? If it's not a reflection it's not like the originals.

User Info Menu

Thanks snoskier.. I ordered one before they drop off the radar again.

User Info Menu

It's not clear to me how these get installed. Does the pickup pivot freely on the long rod? Is it snug? Is there a hidden set screw to lock it in place? Does one side get glued to the bottom of a pickguard?

Thanks

Danielle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Thanks snoskier.. I ordered one before they drop off the radar again.
    Ditto. Too risky to pass up. I'm thinking Super 400 for this one since I have a repro guard I don't mind notching. Luckily I have a couple of monkey sticks to audition it with before permanently installing anything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    It's not clear to me how these get installed. Does the pickup pivot freely on the long rod? Is it snug? Is there a hidden set screw to lock it in place? Does one side get glued to the bottom of a pickguard?
    It pivots on the rod, yes, and there is no set screw. In practice, it finds its equilibrium once installed and does not move on that axis. It is able to pivot on the rod so that the other end can lodge under the pickguard. Which is what happens - the tab on the right side lodges under the guard. You shouldn't glue it and you don't have to if it's correctly installed. It is supposed to be snug but moveable.