The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42
    I have been looking at 335 alternate models as I cannot afford a Gibson model. I have been looking at some Yamaha SA models. The SA2000 models get fairly good reviews. There are models ranging form 900 to 2500. Are the difference finishes or is there construction differences? There are differences in the SG Yamaha models like neck thru and sustain blocks etc. I was wondering if there are significant difference in the Semi-Hollow models. They seem to get decent reviews and can be had right around $1000 or less depending on the model. Is there any reference on the differences?

What are some other good sleeper semi-hollow models around the $1000 range that are sleepers...
    Last edited by revelation2012; 04-18-2012 at 02:32 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Ibanez 80s AS guitars are very good usually although I know there are different eras among them and some are supposed to be better than others.

I know some guys here who have the SA2000 and like them a lot but I never played one.

User Info Menu

I nearly went for a SA2000 when I was looking for a new guitar, but by accident I found another one instead.

I never played one but they are supposed to be very good value for the money and a very good guitar.

Jens

my main axe is yamaha sa 2000s, which was a special line, since it has a solid spruce top.

the sound and finish is awesome and if you ask me, it sounds better than most of the gibson 335.

but to be honest i have never played a yamaha sa 2000, so can't say anything about the sa 2000.

User Info Menu

John Etheridge played two of those yam 335 copies for years as his main
    guitars ..........they're really good and versatile

sorry dont know the various specs

User Info Menu

about 7 weeks ago I got it in my head that I need a semi-hollow body. Looked at 335's but just couldn't bring myself to spend that much-- I then spent 2 weeks on the web, and read about so many models. I found a SA2000 on ebay. It had a Bigsby on it, so I was a bit nervous. I've had the guitar now for about a month. I LOVE this guitar. The finish is excellent. The previous (original) owner treated this like a baby. It's an '85 and it looks like it just came from the factory. Sound is so amazing whether I'm playing jazz, blues, rock. The guitar is so diverse. I have a Peavey Wolfgang and a Telecaster, but I love this guitar so much I (literally, about 10 minutes ago) just bought a 2nd 2000 (the first one I bought was the sunburst, the one I just bought is the red finish).

If this second model is as nice as the sunburst I have, I'll keep it red. If not, I might do it up in black and silver to mimic the 335 Keith Richards has in the Louis Vuitton ad. I can't wait to get this new fiddle. I can tell you, the Heritage 535 and 555 look very interesting to me. I think I'm chasing one of those (or their h-150 Les Paul -- this is just too good looking)

Good Luck

User Info Menu

Any comments on the Yamaha SA2200.....is it the follow on version of the SA2000?

yes it is! 'But I think it is a little bit unfair to compare 30 years old guitars to new one's.

Last edited by hans halmackenreuter; 07-24-2014 at 05:16 PM.

User Info Menu

The one I played was a bit heavy and the neck was to thin for my taste, also I think it might have an ebony fretboard which I don't like so much.
    Having said that it seemed like a really solid guitar and a lot of people really like them. My first electric guitar was an old Yamaha superflighter which now is converted into a fretless guitar.

User Info Menu

Here's Frank Gambale playing a Yamaha SA2200 (or SA2100) a few years ago. He'll solo at about 2min30 Sec into the video:

User Info Menu

A few(?!!) years ago

I mostly hear the chorus effect and not so much the guitar.

It's nice to hear Frank G in this setting.

Thanks for the video!

Jens

I own a SA2200 and I just loved it, I also had a Gibson ES335. In my opinion the Yamaha was a better guitar, sweeter sound. I played it tru a Fender Twin and a JC 120. I ended up trading the 335 for a mint 71 Fender Tele Cream color and some money. Then a few years later I had to the Yamaha go to pay Hospital bills on my daughter. The SA2200 hundred was an awesome guitar I would love to have another.

User Info Menu

Dear friends, yesterday I bought this guitar Yamaha 2100. Anyone know that pickups originally had, as it brings are "neck-Patent Aplied For" "Pat No. 2,737,842 bridge." I can say it, the pickups are original? Was worth the purchase? pay for it 615 us dollar. Try uploading an image but do not succeed. Thank you for your help.Yamaha SA models-08-jpgYamaha SA models-01-jpg

I would have to say straight off the bat that I don't like 335's.

As it happens however I have come into contact with quite a few ranging from the 70's to the 2000's, all models ranging from the original 'Super Axe' scripted headstock 70's to the sa21000 (solid spruce variant) and then on to the sa2200.

To be honest a 'Super Axe' 700-900 is a great guitar. They all are but those I found to be the best.

The Sa2200 is a little heavy and has a very glassy tone so its actually not my fav.

In regards to comparing them To Gibson, there is no comparison. They are essentially identical accept Yamah has far better QC uses better woods and asks you to pay a lot less (IMO).

Be careful though because some of the cheaper SA models where made in indonesia (they are still very good) but people try to sell them as Japanese models.

The best way to avoid that trap is to make sure that if the model number is low Ie SA700 and it doesn't have 'Super Axe' scripted on the headstock, then it is not a japanese model.

If your going to buy an Es335 and your trying to maximise the return for your money, in terms of value, quality and over playability, you do not need to consider a Gibson with Yamaha or Tokai around. Actually many Japanese builders for that matter.

Be especially careful though when buying a 335 and make sure the neck is straight and the trus rod works with plenty of room to tighten. Double that if your buying from japan. Make sure you get the seller to put that in writing. Normally ask him or her over ebay and they will respond through ebay. That way you have it contractually written and if they are lying you can open a case with paypal and get your money back. don't ask and you leave yourself in no mans land. Although you could argue that the guitar is not fit for purpose and does not function properly, which is in direct breach of ebay rules, so you will be ok

:-)

Some of the guitars I have listed are overpriced I don't see why any of them should be over $1000 so if you have any queries on the price, you can ask me and i will help you value them.
    Last edited by GoergeBenson; 07-24-2014 at 09:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Recently bought a Yamaha 2100, but to revise saw that were not the original pickups. You know that brand or model are the pickups have your 2200? I want to get the originals.Yamaha SA models-08-jpg

User Info Menu

Gibson pickups are better than Yamaha pickups from the 80's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Torcazo
    Recently bought a Yamaha 2100, but to revise saw that were not the original pickups. You know that brand or model are the pickups have your 2200? I want to get the originals.Yamaha SA models-08-jpg
    Are you in USA or Europe?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    Are you in USA or Europe?
    In Mexico. Saludos.

User Info Menu

In Mexico. Saludos.
    Oh, I see. Not my neck of woods, I'm afraid.

I can't help you with finding what you want there, but, my word of advice is to sell those Gibson p'ups (being vintage are pricy) and get a Seth Lover set.

You'll end up with a better-sounding instrument and maybe even with some change in your pocket.

HTH,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoergeBenson
    I would have to say straight off the bat that I don't like 335's.

As it happens however I have come into contact with quite a few ranging from the 70's to the 2000's, all models ranging from the original 'Super Axe' scripted headstock 70's to the sa21000 (solid spruce variant) and then on to the sa2200.

To be honest a 'Super Axe' 700-900 is a great guitar. They all are but those I found to be the best.

The Sa2200 is a little heavy and has a very glassy tone so its actually not my fav.

In regards to comparing them To Gibson, there is no comparison. They are essentially identical accept Yamah has far better QC uses better woods and asks you to pay a lot less (IMO).

Be careful though because some of the cheaper SA models where made in indonesia (they are still very good) but people try to sell them as Japanese models.

The best way to avoid that trap is to make sure that if the model number is low Ie SA700 and it doesn't have 'Super Axe' scripted on the headstock, then it is not a japanese model.

If your going to buy an Es335 and your trying to maximise the return for your money, in terms of value, quality and over playability, you do not need to consider a Gibson with Yamaha or Tokai around. Actually many Japanese builders for that matter.

Be especially careful though when buying a 335 and make sure the neck is straight and the trus rod works with plenty of room to tighten. Double that if your buying from japan. Make sure you get the seller to put that in writing. Normally ask him or her over ebay and they will respond through ebay. That way you have it contractually written and if they are lying you can open a case with paypal and get your money back. don't ask and you leave yourself in no mans land. Although you could argue that the guitar is not fit for purpose and does not function properly, which is in direct breach of ebay rules, so you will be ok

:-)

Some of the guitars I have listed are overpriced I don't see why any of them should be over $1000 so if you have any queries on the price, you can ask me and i will help you value them.
    I should add in it's not just Yamaha and Tokai for the high quality Japanese 335 copies, and you can easily order newer guitars as well from a variety of brands. It used to be difficult to order directly from Japan, but the barriers are down. There is Fujigen made 335s...History, Greco, and well...Fujigen. This is not to mention the new seventy seven guitars. The 335 style is probably one of the most common guitars made in japan.
    I don't feel to worried about blindly ordering either a new or recently made used MIJ guitar. The vintage ones I would be a bit more cautious about.

I should note, with the recent korean made guitars, especially the semi-hollowbodies, there some are great guitars in their own right.

I have to agree, for a 335 style guitar there are plenty of great options, even if you have a limited budget. The ones made in japan are probably the best option.

For the record I love semi-hollowbody guitars. But it's a tone prefrence for certain types of music that I play.

User Info Menu

I'm late to this thread but I have a question please.

Is paying $1611.57 (1509.17 euros + shipping as of today's exchange rate) a fair price for a brand new SA 2200.

Yamaha SA2200 - Brown Sunburst image (#640107) - Audiofanzine

Only thing is the German store selling it can't find out if it's made in Japan because it's ships directly from Japan to the buyer's destination.

I located one eBay shipping from Japan. They assured me it's MIJ however the price is about $2200.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

that neck PAF pickup is worth BIG money man

User Info Menu

how do you identify a vintage PAF?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    I'm late to this thread but I have a question please.

Is paying $1611.57 (1509.17 euros + shipping as of today's exchange rate) a fair price for a brand new SA 2200.

Yamaha SA2200 - Brown Sunburst image (#640107) - Audiofanzine

Only thing is the German store selling it can't find out if it's made in Japan because it's ships directly from Japan to the buyer's destination.

I located one eBay shipping from Japan. They assured me it's MIJ however the price is about $2200.

Thanks!

1500 € is a f*£$ing good price for a new SA2200. It normally is 1790 €.
    You may find some used here in the area of 1200 €

But didn't you mention some trouble with a german store in another thread a few days ago ?