The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 42 of 42

User Info Menu

Several years ago I had the opportunity to try a new SA2200 at my home for a short period. Craftmanship was superb, as well as playability, except that I discovered I'm not comfortable playing ES335-type guitars (they're too big and heavy for me).

I was told by a reliable source that Yamaha and/or Ibanez (my memory is hazy, sorry) guitars from the "lawsuit" era had pickups that sounded very much like Gibsons, but were replaced with differently sounding pickups in order to differentiate the guitars from the Gibsons. The pickups in the SA2200 seemed in fact to have a clearer, flatter sound compared to PAFs. This is not to say thay didn't sound well; moreover they seemed to be quite versatile, especially considering the possibility to split them and to bypass the tone control.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The black sticker says: PATENT APPLIED FOR, and you could measure the lenght of the screws (don´t know the numbers but the web is full of information). If this is the REAL thing...I´ve seen people spending 2500 Eurobucks for one of these. They show up from time to time when a ES175 is so worn down that you can make more money with the PUs than with the guitar itself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    1500 € is a f*£$ing good price for a new SA2200. It normally is 1790 €.
    You may find some used here in the area of 1200 €

But didn't you mention some trouble with a german store in another thread a few days ago ?

For some reason I didn't get the email alert for this one or I would have responded earlier.
    Yes I mentioned trouble with a German store that has since been cleared.
    Some how my initial email to the store got intercepted. The price the shall we say "email interceptor" offered me was too low and so that raised a red flag.

Long story short. I called the store and the export guy was flummoxed but professional about the alleged "hack". The store rep quickly got to the business at hand then emailed me. After that it was all good.

The price to ship out of the EU quoted me was $1640 USD (1506 Euros) because I negotiated. (of course, prices change due to exchange rates) Great store! No complaints.

Yamaha - SA2200 Semi Hollowbody Electri c Guitar, Brown Sunburst : Semi-acoustic guitars
    Last edited by West LA Jazz; 04-22-2015 at 02:07 PM.

User Info Menu

While I've never played the SA2200 either, it gets great reviews. I happen to be partial to Guild guitars, and their version of the ES335 is a Starfire IV. A nicely preserved 70's or 80's version can be had for around $1500, and there are no bad years to be concerned about.

I have also been very curious about Carvin semi-hollows. They are single cutaway guitars, but based on the solid body Carvin I got a while back that was an excellent playing and sounding guitar, I have really wanted to try others in their line. I think Frank Gambale has a signature model that may be similar in style to the ES335, but I'm not certain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    While I've never played the SA2200 either, it gets great reviews. I happen to be partial to Guild guitars, and their version of the ES335 is a Starfire IV. A nicely preserved 70's or 80's version can be had for around $1500, and there are no bad years to be concerned about.

I have also been very curious about Carvin semi-hollows. They are single cutaway guitars, but based on the solid body Carvin I got a while back that was an excellent playing and sounding guitar, I have really wanted to try others in their line. I think Frank Gambale has a signature model that may be similar in style to the ES335, but I'm not certain.
    The Guild guitars I have seen have been very well made. Only thing is for some reason, I haven't come across that many in the stores I have visited.

Frank Gambale's FG1 (latest model) styled off his old one SH645 even though looks like the ES335 is more ES339 in actual size. Carvin's hollow bodies are excellent guitars. I have never owned one (they're about $4000) but I've been to the store many times to try them out.

Eastman guitars has the T184mx and T185mx thinline almost ES335 style guitars that are fantastic and probably are in the size range of the FG1.

Almost every single review of the SA2200 has been mostly positive to outright glowing. On minus that I remember is someone complaining that his particular guitar didn't stay in tune nearly as well as another guitar this person had. Other than that, it's been great to try to find almost non existent negative reviews.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure where you are seeing Carvin guitars for 4K, but I suppose people try to resell for a profit. If you go to CarvinGuitars.com - Custom Guitars & Basses, Made in the USA you can have Carvin make you your own semi-hollow for 2K or less (without built-in midi). I had them make me their version of the PRS, and with a few upgrades was still around $1700.

As for Guild, the new models that are being made are from Korea. Those from the 60's through the early 00's are all made in USA. Prior to 1995 they had Guild pickups, which many people prefer, although those that followed were good as well. A mint 1969 burst just sold on EBay for $1699.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snoskier63
    I'm not sure where you are seeing Carvin guitars for 4K, but I suppose people try to resell for a profit. If you go to CarvinGuitars.com - Custom Guitars & Basses, Made in the USA you can have Carvin make you your own semi-hollow for 2K or less (without built-in midi). I had them make me their version of the PRS, and with a few upgrades was still around $1700.

As for Guild, the new models that are being made are from Korea. Those from the 60's through the early 00's are all made in USA. Prior to 1995 they had Guild pickups, which many people prefer, although those that followed were good as well. A mint 1969 burst just sold on EBay for $1699.
    I shouldn't have searched for Gamble's model. The rest of the hollows are definitely priced way better. I'll have to go see if I can test drive and see how they compare to the PRS JA-15 which is in the 4k range also.

Regarding the Guild's I'll have to actually play them. They're to gorgeous for me not to try them out first. Thanks for the info!

User Info Menu

The Gambale model without midi starts at $1849 direct from Carvin. I believe all of their guitars have a carved top, so that is a consideration at less than 2K new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Torcazo
    Recently bought a Yamaha 2100, but to revise saw that were not the original pickups. You know that brand or model are the pickups have your 2200? I want to get the originals.Attachment 13469
    Hola amigo también soy de Mexico y estoy sobre de una en eBay, pero viene de Japón y no se qué tal la importación y eso, como te fue a ti? Me echas una mano? Gracias

User Info Menu

Lo mejor que puede hacer es hablar con vendedores de guitarras yamaha usadas en Japón a través de ebay o Reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Lo mejor que puede hacer es hablar con vendedores de guitarras yamaha usadas en Japón a través de ebay o Reverb.
    Hola gracias por contestar, si ya estoy en contacto con un par por eBay y todo parece marchar bien, incluso no tienen inconveniente con facturar por menos valor la guitarra para que aquí en Mexico la aduana no me cobre demasiados impuestos.

Aún no decido entre unos modelos, no se si sepas algo más de info de ellos que me pueda ayudar.

Orville by Gibson es335
    Yamaha SA2200 y sa2000
    Greco sa900
    Greco sa550 walnut model

Gracias saludos

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Poseo Yamaha SA 2200. La forma en que el diapasón se siente es tan buena o ligeramente mejor que un semi hueco Sadowsky.
    Compré mi Yamaha de Alemania.
    Aquí está el sitio web. Sabía que tenían un sitio para hablantes de inglés. Parece que también tienen uno para hispanohablantes. Puede enviarles un correo electrónico y preguntar sobre retiros. Podrías tener suerte.
    (MUSIC STORE professional)

No sé mucho sobre la marca de guitarras Greco.
    Encontré este enlace aquí en este blog. Parece que alguien está tratando de reemplazar las pastillas originales que venían con su Yamaha SA 2100.

Yamaha SA-2100

Hay bastantes personas en este hilo que parecen querer cambiar sus pick ups originales. Míralo y mira. Buena suerte.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by West LA Jazz
    Poseo Yamaha SA 2200. La forma en que el diapasón se siente es tan buena o ligeramente mejor que un semi hueco Sadowsky.
    Compré mi Yamaha de Alemania.
    Aquí está el sitio web. Sabía que tenían un sitio para hablantes de inglés. Parece que también tienen uno para hispanohablantes. Puede enviarles un correo electrónico y preguntar sobre retiros. Podrías tener suerte.
    (MUSIC STORE professional)

No sé mucho sobre la marca de guitarras Greco.
    Encontré este enlace aquí en este blog. Parece que alguien está tratando de reemplazar las pastillas originales que venían con su Yamaha SA 2100.

Yamaha SA-2100

Hay bastantes personas en este hilo que parecen querer cambiar sus pick ups originales. Míralo y mira. Buena suerte.
    Oye muchas gracias, pues también le eche un ojo a una Yamaha SA2200 pero quien la anuncia en eBay no me sabe decir que año es, tu sabes si hay cambios importantes entre años de producción? O siempre ha sido la misma?

Gracias de nuevo saludos

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

User Info Menu

...that's a coincidence, I just joined this site 2 minutes ago looking for information re the guitar above that I bought of John Etheridge back in the '90s. I'd lent it to a good friend for years who incidentally used to back a folkie guy called MR Streets of London, Ralph McTell.

I was looking for general info about the SA1800 when I spotted that posting - so I have here one of the two Yams' John played back in the day! I'm going to enjoy being here I think!

PS I'm looking to have the 1800 revamped as I think one of the pots has gone on it - ahh well lend it to a friend and...!!

User Info Menu

A local seller has a 1982 mij SA 800 for sale, the impressed serial# is faint but matches 1982 mij numbers. Pickups and hardware all seem original, the mystery is the headstock decal is an offset flower, I have not seen that on 1980s SA series guitars, only on later Yamaha acoustic models. Has anybody seen this before? Legit or not?

Yamaha SA models-screenshot_2021-03-08-10-49-17-png

Yamaha SA models-screenshot_2021-03-09-20-53-40-png

User Info Menu

Hi Hans
    I have one of these I was lead to believe there was only 21 built. Is this true ??

Quote Originally Posted by hans halmackenreuter
    my main axe is yamaha sa 2000s, which was a special line, since it has a solid spruce top.

the sound and finish is awesome and if you ask me, it sounds better than most of the gibson 335.

but to be honest i have never played a yamaha sa 2000, so can't say anything about the sa 2000.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by macjb
    Hi Hans
    I have one of these I was lead to believe there was only 21 built. Is this true ??
    I think I've read that the limited run was on the natural finish. There are other SA200s models floating around out there offered in sunburst and red/burgandy. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on one. Anything that I should know about? I'm also considering a new SA2200 for about the same price, but i like the idea of a solid top and the older/sweeter broken in wood. I was wondering if there are any differences in the neck size/shape.