The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

What is the proper way - or piece of equipment - to go from guitar out to multiple (2) amps? Thanx!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

a delay pedal or similar with a stereo out

User Info Menu

Radial BigShot AB-Y true bypass switcher

Heard good things about this one - you can have A, B or A and B. And you still have a ground loop and the phase reverter switch.

as above or a splitter?

http://www.lehle.com/about_Lehle/dow...II-15x10cm.jpg

or something like this to switch between them:

http://www.lehle.com/about_Lehle/dow...al-15x10cm.jpg

Thank you. I will look at these options. Appreciate it.

User Info Menu

I've found the Boss LS-2 suitable for all such requirements and a lot more. It's like a mini-mixer.

User Info Menu

Stereo chorus, too, or any stereo rack unit.

What are you trying to do -- get more volume, or have "stereo" sounds?

Not more volume. More sound and options through two amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwackbob
    Not more volume. More sound and options through two amps.
    OK, that's cool. If you don't already have two amps, try to get two that are somehow different: I had an 18W EL84 tube amp and a 20W 6V6 tube amp in stereo, and it was very cool! If you want to get fancy, you can have one set of effects through one, and other effects through the other, etc.

HAve fun!

That's exactrly the case: I have a Mesa Lonestar and an Acoustic Image Ten2. About as different as you can get. I thought the blended sound should be very interesting.

User Info Menu

Hmmm... can anyone explain the difference between simply running two amps (or speakers) and running them in STEREO?

Also has anyone tried running a tube amp in stereo with a solid state? Could be interesting

User Info Menu

Kreisberg always use one tube / one solid state in stero. I like his sound a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aniss1001
    Hmmm... can anyone explain the difference between simply running two amps (or speakers) and running them in STEREO?

Also has anyone tried running a tube amp in stereo with a solid state? Could be interesting
    Aniss1001,

If both amps sound the same or too similar you will not get a stereo image. The sound of the two amps will "collapse into the middle" and it'll sound mono.

To get a stereo sound you want the sound out of each side (in this case each amp) to be different, different enough to create the stereo image.

One way to do it is use different amps like Marcwhy said. Another way is to use some sort of stereo effect like a stereo reverb or a stereo chorus. These stereo effects send different sounds to each amp and even if you are using identical amps you will get a stereo sound. Another way is to eq the identical amps differently.

User Info Menu

Interesting! You always see players like John Abercrombie with two identical amps for their stereo - I guess if you're hiring amps that's what you'd want. I've recently bought a SS and a 2x6V6 amp for my setup. I have a Radial ABY pedal, and the idea was to use that with two guitars - now I'm inclined to try two amps!

Jorge - thanks for the heads up on Jonathan Kreisberg. I like his style - his tone is a bit like Adam Rogers, but he doesn't put a 2KHz limit on the EQ! I see he's touring Europe at present, and the UK next week, so I'll go check him out.
    Jamie

User Info Menu

John Abercrombie's Stereo Rig - Premier Guitar

Abercrombie here explains his stereo setup, I guess he doesn't always use the same two amps. Scofield used two idential Mesa Boogie amps in stereo for a long time.

Jamie I get what you say about Adam Rogers. I am not sure he puts a 2k limit on the EQ - I guess he manages to put the bass pretty high without getting a muddy or boomy sound and that gives him a very dark sound indeed... Kreisberg's sound is much more "alive". He is one of my favorite players although sometimes he plays too many patterns - go check him out, his technique is awesome!

VitalSigns: Have you had any problems with the little Radial ABY pedal? Anyone here use one of the Lehle splitters?

User Info Menu

Bob - I've not used the Radial splitter much yet, but I have their J48 and X-amp DI boxes and they're very good. Radial, Godin guitars - I seem to have a lot of Canadian gear suddenly..

Jorge - I think Jonathan Kreisberg has a sound nearer to what I'm aiming at, not so muffled as Adam Rogers. But I think AR has him beat on patterns! From the little I've heard of JK, his sequences are more tonal - "Patterns for Jazz"/Metheny rather than Nicolas Slonimsky type AR ones. AR can be quite atonal at times, but he comes back inside eventually!
    Jamie

User Info Menu

I never got much into Slonimsky actually but Adam Rogers patterns seem to be more integrated in his playing than Kreisberg ones... I actually don't hear AR that much probably because of his sound mainly, too dark and cold. But I do hear Kreisberg a lot, some of his stuff is just incredible. Enjoy the show!