The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Wenol. a micro fiber cloth, and elbow grease will take the gold plating off while leaving as high a luster as one desires on the original metal beneath. I've used it for 30 years. It's what auto shows used back in the day to prep flat aluminum wheels to create a high luster finish to them. It'll make flat aluminum look nearly chrome if one is willing to put in the work.
    Dura Glit on the belt buckles on my dress blues . . . then a real tight military gig line! Remember those days?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wenol. a micro fiber cloth, and elbow grease will take the gold plating off while leaving as high a luster as one desires on the original metal beneath. I've used it for 30 years. It's what auto shows used back in the day to prep flat aluminum wheels to create a high luster finish to them. It'll make flat aluminum look nearly chrome if one is willing to put in the work.
    Thanks for the tip. What I would really like is a dull nickel finish so I don't want to polish things up until they gleam. As I said I'm not keen on gold plate and even less on high lustre chrome finishes. None of this is going to make me a better player, I just like understated simple guitars.
    Last edited by Dirk; 05-19-2018 at 01:25 PM.

User Info Menu

I often wonder why the chrome and gold pickups are used so often.

Is there any disadvantage to using a pickup that's just plain black enamel?

Danielle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Dura Glit on the belt buckles on my dress blues . . . then a real tight military gig line! Remember those days?
    Yes, one tiny speck on the back of the brass
    and we were in big trouble too.With the RSM
    screaming at you one inch from your nose .
    Happy days !

User Info Menu

Just picked up basically a new guitar with gold hardware. The last guitar I had the covers on the pickups tarnished extremely quickly. Perhaps that was a function of the quality. I realize the plating is extremely thin. However, I have seen a guitar or 2, older, that have maintained a quality finish. Perhaps the hard work of the owner, or climate. BTW I do not live in a dry part of the USA, and do not have a climate controlled home or space.

User Info Menu

I don't worry about gold wear, but you can try applying a thin coat of wax.
    might help a little but not a permanent solution.
    Older guitars usually have a thicker plating on them.

User Info Menu

I don't worry about fading or tarnish on gold hardware either. The resulting patina is part of what makes the instrument uniquely yours. Ditto dings and dents.

User Info Menu

When you say "tarnish", do you mean that the gold itself has become stained/discolored somehow (a rarity with gold, which doesn't oxidize easily), or do you mean that the plating has worn off and the base metal underneath is now showing through and/or oxidizing? I think that's probably more likely, and there's not that much you can do about it. It's mainly a function of the thickness of the plating, plus environmental factors you can't do much about (e.g., the acidity of your sweat). Wiping off sweat and other grime with a soft cloth ASAP helps (or so I've heard ... I'm not exactly Mr. Fastidious ...). That, and when you polish your guitar, try to keep the polish away from the gold parts. But most pick-up covers are thinly plated, and most of them wear out (all of mine have).

User Info Menu

Try cleaning it and buffing it lightly with something like a glasses-cleaning cloth. If that doesn't work, assume the plating is just wearing off.

John

User Info Menu

rub on some beeswax!...100% pure...non toxic... found bulk in some hardware stores or art supply stores....or just buy a small 100% pure beeswax candle..a little goes a long way..& great for so many guitar things !! ie. loose strap button screws!

cheers

User Info Menu

I have read about various waxes too with some interesting photo evidence of older guitars with clean looking gold hardware. Too much trouble for me and besides, I like my guitars to age with me (usually more gracefully than me but still)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

I clean my guitars with natural chamois. I've found it does a better job of keeping gold looking new than cotton or microfiber cloths. Costco used to sell it in large pieces (duh!--it's Costco!), which I cut into suitable size squares. For gold that has become discolored, I use a very mild, non-abrasive jeweler's polish, being very careful to keep it off the wood, and then wipe it down with very old, well-washed flannelette.

The important thing is to wipe down the gold with the chamois directly after each time you play the guitar. I have a chamois square in my gig, but if I don't have a chance to wipe it down at the gig, I do so as soon as I get home.

Despite all this, over time the very thin gold plating wears away, but you can keep it looking new-ish for many years before that happens.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 04-06-2017 at 08:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I got this tip from Joe D. A coat of Menzerna Power lock a couple times a year. Your gold will never tarnish.

User Info Menu

Open up the case on a frequent basis to let any gas build up out of the case.

User Info Menu

I bought a couple of jewel's cloth to wipe her down.

User Info Menu

Some people just have acidic sweat that will tarnish gold and nickle very quickly. Gold plating tends to be extremely thin to begin with and will just wear off as you touch it before it will tarnish. Just play it and let it happen.

User Info Menu

First. If these parts lose their gold plating, it's because the plating is so incredible thin today (look at the price point of these parts). Sometimes it's just a couple of atoms thick and gold is a soft metal.

I have had a couple of parts re-plated. It was done in a big plant so I couldn't order it directly. Found a brass instrument maker, these guys have to do it on a regular base and send in lots of parts to be plated in bulk.

If you want to do it make sure it is "Hard Gold Plating" (they use some kind of gold+X alloy, no idea). It's a bit more expensive but pure gold plating wears off again rather quick.

User Info Menu

I would consider re-plating to make the coating heavier. Any names or links to someone to do this is appreciated.

User Info Menu

I'm sorry, that was a small company in Germany called "Der Bläserspezialist", where a friend of mine worked as a trumpet maker. It's more then 14 years ago.

Brass makers - people who actually make instruments, not only repair - all have connections to gold plating companies or do it even by them self. After the instruments are assembled and soldered they get gold plated (and then lacquered).

The plating process is a galvanic one and there are hazardous liquids (acid and the like) involved, the reason it is normally done in special plants. I guess looking for a small brass instrument maker company could be the ticket.

Sorry I couldn't help further!

User Info Menu

Car wax. 2 or 3 coats. Works well. I have a '57 Classic with gold plating that hasn't tarnished yet and it's several years old, I assume due to the car wax I put on it when new.

User Info Menu

If I tried the Wenol and micro fiber cloth think it would get the gold nicely off this L-4 tailpiece?
    Can I do it while the tailpiece is on the guitar with some protection under it, or better to remove?

Good way to clean "gold" hardware?-l4-jpg

User Info Menu

If you want the gold removed then absolutely Wenol will remove it. But why would you want to remove the gold on an L4CES? You do realize that removing the gold entirely will impact the resale value of the guitar? But definitely Wenol would do that job. I use it on dulled aluminum wheels to bring the rims back to a high luster. Best!

User Info Menu

i had some masking tape residue on my GB10 tailpiece WD40 spray on toilet paper, worked fine,

certain it would work fine on pups too.

it is a lubricant not abrasive (it does not state that on tin)

not much rubbing is needed at all, the WD seems to just lift it.

User Info Menu

WD40 has a multitude of uses. Removing adhesives is one of them. It also works as a fish attractant on lures. Among many others.

User Info Menu

Ok guys we got crazy yesterday and de-golded my 89 L-4 CES
    We upgraded the tuners, replaced the bridge with a tune-o, pulled off the wacky pickguard, and rubbed off the gold from the tailpiece. The gold actually came off pretty easy using a Gorgomyte condition cloth we had. I know it may impact the resale, but I think it looks a 1000% better; I'm just not a fan of gold at all. Not to mention it was so oxidized and worn down, it looked sloppy. I'm actually shocked how easy the gold came off!

Next step is to customize and replace with a black bound pick guard and get it re-fretted with stainless frets

Good way to clean "gold" hardware?-l4-jpgGood way to clean "gold" hardware?-original-pickguard-jpgGood way to clean "gold" hardware?-l-4-de-golding-tuners-jpgGood way to clean "gold" hardware?-l-4-de-golding-2-jpgGood way to clean "gold" hardware?-l-4-bridge-de-golding-jpgGood way to clean "gold" hardware?-l-4-tune-o-replacement-jpgGood way to clean "gold" hardware?-l-4-de-golding-jpg