The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

I know this may be a tired question. But...I've decided to sell all the extraneous guitars and amps I have laying around here and buy one really good high quality guitar (should net about $4,000). I'd like it to be somewhat versatile but very capable of handling jazz and I don't want it to be too large. Also, I can probably throw another $1,000 on the pile if it is really worth it. And of course, I certainly don't absolutely need to spend all of this money either.

I'm considering things like the Benedetto Bambino Deluxe or the Collings SoCo or I-35. Also like the ES-175 and the Pat Martino. I have also been a big fan of Heritage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sadowsky...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Playerizor
    I know this may be a tired question. But...I've decided to sell all the extraneous guitars and amps I have laying around here and buy one really good high quality guitar (should net about $4,000). I'd like it to be somewhat versatile but very capable of handling jazz and I don't want it to be too large. Also, I can probably throw another $1,000 on the pile if it is really worth it. And of course, I certainly don't absolutely need to spend all of this money either.

I'm considering things like the Benedetto Bambino Deluxe or the Collings SoCo or I-35. Also like the ES-175 and the Pat Martino. I have also been a big fan of Heritage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    It doesn't sound to me like you need any help at all. The guitars you are considering are all quite good and will probably fit your bill just fine. My only question of that group would be the versatility of the Benedetto.

The ES 175 can do just about anything . . . and it has. If you do recoup $4,000 in selling of your other unwanted gear, and you are willing to spend an additional $1,000 as you say you are, then your options are almost limitless. For $5,000 you can get a great vintage ES 175. It would be as versatile and as functional as you need it to be, and it would retain all of it's original cost if you do decide to sell it. The Heritage equivalent (upgrade?) is of course the H575. You could find a great one for less than $2,000 pre owned. I would also consider the Heritage H 550, as well as semi hollows like the ES 335 and the Heritage H 535. All very versatile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clem_gael
    Sadowsky...
    Agreed.

User Info Menu

I think you should stay away from an ES-175 because you're going to pay about $2,000 just to get the Gibson headstock, and that money can go to better use. Of course, the Gibson will retain a high resale value, but if you're really thinking of making it a keeper then that shouldn't matter much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clem_gael
    Sadowsky...
    I Think So...

User Info Menu

Lots of options at that price range ...

Sweet 16, L4CES, Campellone, Triggs

Consider used and you are getting into used L5 range.

User Info Menu

Best jazz guitar fo $4,000?

I don't think there is such a thing as best.

User Info Menu

Is this a vote thing where the most amount of people that like a guitar determine that it's the best? Cool! I've never tried a Sadowsky but I'm convinced.
    Sadowsky +1 it is!
    Could somebody post a picture of one so I can see it?

User Info Menu

I think Wiz has J.Hall model.

User Info Menu

when you say "somewhat versatile" what styles do you want it to cover?

User Info Menu

Here's a pic of a Sadowsky Jim Hall. I won't say it's best, but I'll say mine is very nice indeed. Closer to an ES-175 than a Bambino, I suppose. There's a ton of great guitars available in that price range though.

User Info Menu

I wish I had your problem!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I wish I had your problem!
    +1

User Info Menu

For my money I think an extremely versatile jazz guitar is the Gibson es137. It is a les paul in es175 clothing. I have had mine for 4 years and I love it. It is perfect for every style of music that I have gigged it with...straight ahead jazz,smooth jazz, jazz rock, fusion, reggae, blues rock. I love that it NEVER feeds back in that bad way of the howling archtop. I also have a Heritage H575 custom which is my most cherished guitar. It is a GREAT American made solid wood archtop that is exquisite in tone looks feel etc. This is the guitar I play for all my high dollar private/corporate gigs. So to sum it up Gibson 137 very versatile Heritage H575 great Archtop guitar.

User Info Menu

For 4K you could get the Collings I-35lc(laminated) or the Soco 16 lc.
    I haven't tried any of their laminates yet, but everything else I have played by them(including my own soco deluxe) has been great.

User Info Menu

I'd go with the Sadowsky Semi Hollow or a Collings. I have the Bambino Deluxe, and while it's terrific for jazz, it's not really a fusion type of instrument.

User Info Menu

id say hands down a vintage 40-50s Epi Triumph. same if not better than a Gibson equivalent from the same period.

User Info Menu

I am lucky after playing for 35 years to have an L5 Wes, a recently acquired Sadowsky Jim Hall and an Ibanez GB-10. I love them all for different reasons, but I think if I could have only one arch top, I would spend the money on an early to mid-60's 175 with as wide a neck as I could find, or stick with the GB-10, which is incredibly versatile. At $4000, considering the price of a used GB-10, you could pick up a very nice 335 and mod it with heavier strings, different pickups, etc and have two great guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Here's a pic of a Sadowsky Jim Hall. I won't say it's best, but I'll say mine is very nice indeed. Closer to an ES-175 than a Bambino, I suppose. There's a ton of great guitars available in that price range though.

lovely looking guitar. if i had $4000 i think i would spend a lot of time going to shops and trying guitars out. a guitar that someone else loves may not flick your switches.

User Info Menu

One good jazz box...it is not so easy.You can not play all kind of jazz on it.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Man, I love spending another cat's money

How about a Moffa Lorraine? I think he's got a 1.5 year build wait...but man these are luscious, imho...beautiful bell-like tone. (Check youtube for certain Kurt Rosenwinkel videos in which he plays a Moffa, if you are interested.)

Moffa Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    Man, I love spending another cat's money
    Excuse me, if I want someone else to spend my money for me, I have a perfectly good wife for that kind of thing.

User Info Menu

If I was in that market, I'd check out this used L5 'Studio' for $3500
    1997 Gibson L-5 Studio

IMO it needs a plain pickguard but that's easy enough.

Last edited by AlohaJoe; 04-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.