The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 49

User Info Menu

Does anybody know some good Archtop Guitar shops in Germany/UK/NL...

I know Foulds in UK. I wrote a question via email, but they never answered...

Best Regards and sorry for the bad english skills.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Foulds in the UK is good. If you email them, write ''attention Dan Johnson'' in the subject line, otherwise it may get lost, as they don't only sell jazz guitars.
    Another UK archtop place is Ivor Mairants in London. Many, or maybe most, archtops are traded privately on the net in the UK; try guitarmart. Some vintage arch tops are traded by Denmark St ( London) shops such as Vintage & Rare Guitars, but they are top end instruments.

User Info Menu

Frans Elferink in the Netherlands builds excellent sounding, all-carved archtops with lots of models to choose from and freedom for your own input

His prices are very competitive, especially for a European builder, about 2900 euro and up depending on your requirements.

Elferink Guitars

In germany try Sonntag ; very nice guitars although more expensive
    Last edited by fws6; 03-22-2012 at 06:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Thank you. More suggestions are welcome.
    Elferink Guitars are really beautiful, but I am looking for a cheaper guitar that I don`t have to worry about when it is left in my car trunk.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redwater
    .... I am looking for a cheaper guitar that I don`t have to worry about when it is left in my car trunk.
    You should worry about all guitars - even the cheapest - when they are left in a car trunk. A car trunk and trhe interior of a car can be VERY hot in the sun, and glues can melt. Bucky Pizzarelly has told about when left a Gibson L5 in a car trunk in the sun. When he opened the case, the guitar came out in pieces - top, sides, back, neck. He had to take it to a luthier to have it glued back together again and set up.

Morale: Don't ever leave guitars in a parked car outdoors.

User Info Menu

if you've got nothing against froggies try:
    Guitare Village, magasin et école de musique à Domont, 95 - Val d'Oise guitares neuf et occasion
    they have a big shop near Paris and a lot of used archtops (click "occasion") and new ones too...

User Info Menu

Yes, I've been to Guitare Village last weekend, they have a nice collection of Ibanez 2355 (the best Gibson 175 copy ever) and other vintage guitars. Price go from 1000 - 4500€. Very nice people, will let you spend half a day in their trying room...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Those Jaen guitars look beautiful!

User Info Menu

Hello Redwater!

I know a good website, where you can find plenty of archtops. The sellers are from worldwide, a lot of guys offer archtops from Germany, also

give it a shot:

Vintage Guitars - Buy Vintage Guitars for sale online | Vintage Guitars on Vintage & Rare

laci

User Info Menu

You could try this one:

home

I don't think he has a shop you can look around, but he is prepared to travel (to meet in Koln or Munchen, for example).

User Info Menu

Thanks Pierrot for the link to Jaen Guitars.
    I 'm found of the 18".
    I often go to Granada, not very far away from Jaen, and will try to visit this luthier as soon as possible
    Any idea about the prices?....

User Info Menu

Thank you so much everyone. I think I will find a guitar for me.
    I Germany it is hard to find some Archtop dealers with plenty of different Archtops.
    By the way: I know how to handle a guitar. It was more of a metaphor for a cheaper guitar that I am looking for instead of a custom made instrument by a luthier... Think Eastman instead of Sonntag :-)

EDIT: These Jaen Guitars are really nice. I did not find any Prices on his Website. Does anybody know the pricerange of these guitars?

User Info Menu

This lutier do not answer for questions...:-(

User Info Menu

Hi guys,

I have no relation with Jaen, I'm just a happy custommer. That said, my Jaen is a Jamaica, which is a small body (15") thin guitar with flat back. It is all solid, is very comfortable to play and sounds very nice.
    I must say that I changed the Seymour Duncan Jazz II PU which was originally mounted. I first tried a Benedetto A6, (had it mounted for one year) and as I wasn't yet completely satisfied, (some kind of brightness on the upper strings I didn't like) I finally went to a Gibson Classic 57. Everything is fine now;-)

This guitar was tagged at 2400€ when I bought it, two or three years ago.
    I think you have to calculate 3500€ for a 16". No idea of the price of a 17".
    Just ask him, he is a nice person..

There is a Rialto for sale in AGL in Majadahonda (Madrid) for 3100€.
    Agl Musical - Instrumentos musicales

You'll have to select "guitarras de jazz" in the menu "familia"

Here are some pics of my Jamaica...

(for some reason, text appears as underlined now?????)

User Info Menu

>I Germany it is hard to find some Archtop dealers with plenty of different Archtops.

Sure. This is the same anywhere. People always fantasize that in another city there will be a shop carrying everything. Well there isnt. Archtops pretty much are a niche market so no single shop in Germany Netherlands or UK will carry more than a few. The shops might list them as available on order through their websites but for sure dont have them in stock in the shop. They just dont sell enough archtops (compared to LP and Strats) to have large selections of such instruments in stock.

Better mention too what your price range is first before suggesting everyone you are looking for high quality archtop - and then telling in hindsight youre actually looking for a run of the mill Eastman on a tight budget. If you say that 2900 for the Elferink is way too much there is no use people suggesting Jean or other individual luthiers who all will be above that mark significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by mambosun
    Thanks Pierrot for the link to Jaen Guitars.
    I 'm found of the 18".
    I often go to Granada, not very far away from Jaen, and will try to visit this luthier as soon as possible
    Any idea about the prices?....
    Guitars Jaen are not in the province of Jaen, but in the village of Horcajo de Santiago (Cuenca), a distance of 100 km. of Madrid.

User Info Menu

who is playing these guitars? I mean artist with good name...:-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by carlescountry
    Guitars Jaen are not in the province of Jaen, but in the village of Horcajo de Santiago (Cuenca), a distance of 100 km. of Madrid.
    Thanks for your info.

Beside this, Cuenca is a very nice touristic place to visit...

User Info Menu

Jazzisten In Denmark

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    who is playing these guitars? I mean artist with good name...:-)
    Vive la politesse!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pierrot
    Vive la politesse!
    ?

not a problem at all....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    >I Germany it is hard to find some Archtop dealers with plenty of different Archtops.

Sure. This is the same anywhere. People always fantasize that in another city there will be a shop carrying everything. Well there isnt. Archtops pretty much are a niche market so no single shop in Germany Netherlands or UK will carry more than a few. The shops might list them as available on order through their websites but for sure dont have them in stock in the shop. They just dont sell enough archtops (compared to LP and Strats) to have large selections of such instruments in stock.

Better mention too what your price range is first before suggesting everyone you are looking for high quality archtop - and then telling in hindsight youre actually looking for a run of the mill Eastman on a tight budget. If you say that 2900 for the Elferink is way too much there is no use people suggesting Jean or other individual luthiers who all will be above that mark significantly.
    I can`t see where I suggested everyone that i am looking for a high quality Archtop. I just asked for some good shops. You came up with the Elferink suggestion. I never asked for Luthier suggestions too. I just mentioned that Jaen builds some nice guitars and wondered about the prices because he does not list them on his Website.
    On the other hand: I am not the only one who reads this thread, so maybe someone else will buy a Jaen or Elferink in the future... :-)

My Pricerange is about 1000-1500€ Thats why I tend to look for a used Guitar.
    Last edited by redwater; 03-25-2012 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Elferink guitars are great sounding instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redwater
    Thank you. More suggestions are welcome.
    Elferink Guitars are really beautiful, but I am looking for a cheaper guitar that I don`t have to worry about when it is left in my car trunk.
    These are new to the market and are only available in the UK at the moment.

This is a thinline version of an ES175 and is priced at £360/EU$430

Here's a link to their site
    Sutherland Trading RT-75

Cheap enough for the car?