The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

Curious about string preferences with a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin.

Just used a set of Thomastik-Infeld JS111 Lights (11s) to replace the stock D'Addario 12s and was pleasantly surprised, it almost feels like a Gibson scale with 10s.

What are you using?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

TI Swing 12s (JS-112). Very nice.

User Info Menu

Thomastik - Infeld Jazz Swing Medium Flatwound 13s. Roundwounds work well, but I can't get away from using flats on this one.

User Info Menu

Usually, D'Addario Chromes with a .012" first. I'm trying a set of DR Flatwounds right now. DR's feel a bit firmer, and not quite as smooth. They do have a good sound and possibly a bit more even output from string to string.

User Info Menu

Chromes, .12's.

I tried rounds, but this is an electric guitar, and sounds best to my ears with the flats.

User Info Menu

TI Benson 12s

User Info Menu

I have D'Addario pure nickel 11 rounds. I was going for a bit of a retro sound which I think works for this guitar. I chose round wounds because I wanted a different sound from my other guitar, which has flats. Nickel is mellower than chrome and was the standard component of strings in the 1950s, which is sort of the sound I was going for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I have D'Addario pure nickel 11 rounds. I was going for a bit of a retro sound which I think works for this guitar. I chose round wounds because I wanted a different sound from my other guitar, which has flats. Nickel is mellower than chrome and was the standard component of strings in the 1950s, which is sort of the sound I was going for.
    Do these sets have wound 3rd strings or plain?

User Info Menu

Ghs white bronze.
    To me the guitar is more like an accoustic one, just amplified.
    Was never happy with flats on it. Sounded somewhat thin to me in comparison to the gibsonesque fat jazz tone that so many of us are going for. The kinpin has a different character to me. It sounds so clear with great note separation and good for chords. Just my 0,02$.

User Info Menu

just a note on the Godin Kingpins...

I've owned 2 models (acoustic only and the 1 pickup version).. both of them needed to have the bridge sanded to match the body properly.

You could easily slide a piece a paper into the gaps between the body and the bridges. After the brigdes were adjusted, I got great use and sound out of them.

I sold my Godin Kingpin 1, after I bought my Eastman ARC-805CE.

Dave

User Info Menu

So I brought my Kingpin to teach some lessons today, and during a break I put a set of John Pearse nickel wounds (.12 gauge, same strings I'm currently using on my Kay) for kicks.

Liking 'em. I might be down to only using flats on my Hofner and tele. Who woulda thought this "flat fanatic" like me might be converting?

User Info Menu

... Sooo, I looked closely at the bridge of my Kingpin (two pickup, cutaway) - and indeed there is a sizeable gap at the edges, where the bridge doesn't make contact with the body. I was really surprised .... Groaaaan. That is not what I am used to from Godin and i totally missed it. Guess I need to consult some sandpaper ... Any advice for someone with two left hands (... And not being a real lefty :-( )? Help is much appreciated!

.... Concerning flats vs rounds I also seem to go back and forth. I am in a more roundwound phase presently and my favorite strings are TI Bebops. The Benson flats sound great on my elistist Byrdland but most other guitars just sound more alive with rounds, either the TI Bebops or pure nickel strings that are also great. I bet the Kingpin sounds really good with either choice (both have actually quite a bit less finger noise than regular nickel plated steel strings one is used to from the rock genre).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLearns
    ... Sooo, I looked closely at the bridge of my Kingpin (two pickup, cutaway) - and indeed there is a sizeable gap at the edges, where the bridge doesn't make contact with the body. I was really surprised .... Groaaaan. That is not what I am used to from Godin and i totally missed it. Guess I need to consult some sandpaper ... Any advice for someone with two left hands (... And not being a real lefty :-( )? Help is much appreciated!
    StewMac has a good tutorial, and I highly recommend the bridge fitting jig.

StewMac Bridge Fitting Tutorial

Something they don't mention in the tutorial is to check the wheel guide setting occasionally if you're taking off much material as the bridge base will start to take on an angle.

User Info Menu

TI Swing 12's here.

User Info Menu

Now I think I should "person"-up and move from 11s to 12s. This is currently my only guitar with flats, really like how the flats feel under my fingers :-)

User Info Menu

I started with .11's on my Kingpin. I really liked the way the guitar responded to .12's--enough to where I'm not going back.

Give it a shot, strings are cheap.

User Info Menu

I'm using TI Jazz BeBop BB112 for jazz. Great tone, great feel, love 'em!

User Info Menu

Hi there, folks!

Sorry to resurrect this old post. haha

I´m from Brazil and got a 5th Ave kingpin I. I´d like to use it with .13 strings and with higher action, for a more acoustic guitar like feel since I play w/o picks.

What strings do you recommend to achieve this king of sound?

Best regards!

User Info Menu

I just got mine and it still has the stock 12 rounds. String tension seem higher that on my other guitars strung with 12's. I'm going to try 11 flats on it next. It sounds very much more like a Jazz guitar when plugged in, but has some flattop qualities acoustically.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input, johnzias! I need to use 0.13 because I do only use this gauge on my acoustic guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by johnzias
    I just got mine and it still has the stock 12 rounds. String tension seem higher that on my other guitars strung with 12's. I'm going to try 11 flats on it next. It sounds very much more like a Jazz guitar when plugged in, but has some flattop qualities acoustically.

User Info Menu

I still use Pure Nickel 12's on my Godin, even though now I have a 5th Avenue with a floater instead of a Kingpin. Just something about that guitar to me makes rounds seem more appropriate. Otherwise, you're just like every other ES-175 wannabe with flats.

So having read through this forum I am no wiser Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin -- what strings are you using?
    I have a new 5th Avenue Kingpin p90
    Loving her tones and the acoustic playability but I'm thinking to replace her strings as low E sounds a bit dull
    I was thinking 11s as I have a bit of arthritis so with that in mind I'm struggling between flats and rounds
    Steel, nickel - so many makes and varieties I'm perplexed what to do for the best. I play a variety of music from sweet child to George Ezra
    But no jazz.
    Any advice please will be helpful

User Info Menu

During its first week my 5th Ave wore three sets of strings. Replaced the stock roundwounds with .12 flats, then tried half-rounds which were the worst. The choice depends on what role you give to the guitar. For jazzy single-string leads and soloing, go for flatwounds as the P-90 pickup is quite bright if not outright stinging. Mine was meant to be a poor man's big band comping tool, for which the roundwounds suited better. Whether .10, .11 or heavier, depends on your finger feel and style, the guitar handles them all well. For me, .11 are ok. For an ES-125 pastiche, roundwounds are more authentic, I believe. One thing to point out is that the Godin's neck is quite sensitive to humidity changes, so don't rely on a very low action if playing outdoors in a tent on a rainy day.
    Last edited by Gitterbug; 07-04-2018 at 02:31 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm using Martin Retro Monel MM 12. Before I used D'addario Pure Nickel. I'm enjoying Martin a lot.

Here you can hear the acoustic sound from it:

User Info Menu

For what I could hear through my laptop, you proved my point on authenticity and big band comping. Great performance!