The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Has anyone ever heard of this? I found one for sale ..the model is FEG780TM/VTG-V...at $650 used it seems over-priced for something I have never heard of. It looks okay...but it's always a good idea to check...you never know when you might stumble on some rare classic....but....my instincts tell me that it's probably nothing special.

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow...got to love Kijiji...check out these rarities..Gibson ES-120T, 140 and 160:
    3 Vintage Gibson guitars - Nova Scotia Musical Instruments For Sale - Kijiji Nova Scotia Canada.

I have always wanted to try the 120...they are so weird looking.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruiner54
    Has anyone ever heard of this? I found one for sale ..the model is FEG780TM/VTG-V...at $650 used it seems over-priced for something I have never heard of. It looks okay...but it's always a good idea to check...you never know when you might stumble on some rare classic....but....my instincts tell me that it's probably nothing special.

Thanks
    Member Tom Karol plays a Crafter hybrid...he likes it a lot. I've not seen any archtops they've made.

They're Korean, good quality, fairly priced instruments.

User Info Menu

Actually, I sold the Crafter SA hybrid to buy my new new Eastman AR403. But I still have a Crafter SEG480TM/VTG-V (335 clone) which is a keeper. Crafters are ... well crafted. They're Korean-made and well distributed in Europe but not so much in North America. I've played an FEG780 - nice 2-pickup laminated fully-hollow archtop. An excellent value. But $700 or so is about what they should sell for new; so it's over-priced if it's used.

User Info Menu

OK thanks for the input...no sense on buying something I am not sure about while saving for an Eastman

User Info Menu

I just noticed that you already have an Epiphone Joe Pass. The Crafter FEG780 is a very similar design - maybe a hair nicer - but I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruiner54
    Wow...got to love Kijiji...check out these rarities..Gibson ES-120T, 140 and 160:
    3 Vintage Gibson guitars - Nova Scotia Musical Instruments For Sale - Kijiji Nova Scotia Canada.

I have always wanted to try the 120...they are so weird looking.
    If you want one of these I'd go pick it up for you. Right in my neck of the woods. lol

User Info Menu

Yes, I do have the Joe Pass..an Indonesian one unfortunately...it's a love hate relationship....some days its wonderful and other days it reminds me that its a carelessly made Epiphone...considering I'm new to jazz and it's my first archtop, I could have done worse.

Getting that Polytone last night has rekindled my interest in the Joe Pass.

koreycraft:

I'm about 2 1/2 hours away from Halifax, that's why I always check NS & PEI kijiji because if I see a good enough deal I will drive a few hours to get it.

Thanks for the offer though....don't have the money to spend on a guitar right..just bought a jeep

User Info Menu

Huh, didn't know that Crafter made an archtop...
    Their acoustics are well known and loved, and I once owned a Crafter Tele that was of impressive quality.

User Info Menu

I remember playing one of these at a music store in Auckland, New Zealand.

It was actually a surprisingly good instrument, and achieved the jazz box tone very well.
    Would instantly change the strings on it though...

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure that's what Nelson Faria is playing in his videos.

User Info Menu

Jim.
    I did a little research.
    Set-up

Cheers.
    Here's another...
    Condor Nelson Faria - Guitarras Condor no Mercado Livre Brasil

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Jim.
    I did a little research.
    Set-up

Cheers.
    Here's another...
    Condor Nelson Faria - Guitarras Condor no Mercado Livre Brasil
    well done. I was looking last week and never found that. So the base model of his signature model sells in Brazil for $450 US! (and that appears to be what he plays in his videos).
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 01-09-2017 at 01:58 AM.

User Info Menu

It's interesting that this post has popped up again because I've been offered a second-hand Crafter FEG 700 N and may buy it if the price is right. It has a solid spruce top, apparently. The 780 can be bought for about £495 new, so that gives me a guide on price. I'll let you know if I get my hands on it!

User Info Menu

Condor jnf-1...Nelson Faria model...Maple body and neck...Made in Korea but Condor is a Brazilian company...Very popular, low price archtop guitar in Brazil!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I had a look at this lefty Crafter this morning. Seller wants $500 for it including the case.

It plays well and sounds well but I'm on the fence.

I'm looking for a number 2 in case there's a problem with number 1 during gigs.

Crafter archtop??-img20210719110934-jpgCrafter archtop??-img20210719110938-jpgCrafter archtop??-img20210719111021-jpgCrafter archtop??-img20210719110941-jpgCrafter archtop??-img20210719110946-jpg

User Info Menu

Yes, I've owned a few Crafters, and they were well designed/well made guitars.
    I don't have any now, though.
    And they seem to have pretty much abandoned the US market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Yes, I've owned a few Crafters, and they were well designed/well made guitars.
    I don't have any now, though.
    And they seem to have pretty much abandoned the US market.
    Thanks Tom. What do you think is a fair price for the guitar in my post above? Thank you

Did you find yourself limited when it came to sound? I'm used to two pick ups and three way switches. Thanks

User Info Menu

I think it's priced a little bit high.
    I'd offer $400, but be willing to go to $450.
    They have a 25.5 inch scale.
    That's not the OHSC, but that's OK.
    I found mixing the piezo and the lipstick pickup in a ratio of of 25% to 75% very pleasing for a Jazz/Pop kind of tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    I had a look at this lefty Crafter this morning. Seller wants $500 for it including the case. It plays well and sounds well but I'm on the fence. I'm looking for a number 2 in case there's a problem with number 1 during gigs.
    Unless it's a shadow artifact, which I doubt, there's some serious fret wear that needs attention ASAP - there appear to be gouges at several places that are deep enough to affect playability, intonation, and bending.

Crafter archtop??-fret_wear-jpg

That fingerboard looks a bit dry - I wouldn't be surprised if it's shrunk a bit and at least a few fret ends protrude enough to be felt. If it is that dry, the rest of the body may also have suffered from a lack of humidification. I'd check carefully for any loose binding as well as palpable fret ends along both edges of the board.

If the electronics are original and in similar shape to the frets, the pots have probably never been cleaned and may well be scratchy or worse. And (based on my experience with Danelectros) those lipstick pickups make noise from every stray signal they encounter. It may be a backup for you, but it still has to be in tip top shape to carry you through a gig - so it almost certainly needs enough work to raise its cost significantly.

I've always carried a basic solid body as a spare. It's been my '90s Epi Les Paul since someone stole the Epi strat clone I bought very used about 25 years ago for $50. I replaced the electronics in the strat-oid with a complete loaded pickguard assembly for $40 or so, blocked the cheap trem, and did the frets (which were down to their last level / crown / polish job before needing replacement). Although I bought the Epi LP new, the hardware and electronics were so cheaply made that I smoothed and polished the bridge saddles, replaced the tuners, pickups, pots, wiring and jack, and dressed the frets before using it.

I'm sure that a lefty Crafter is a find for a lefty who loves the guitar, and it's certainly a cool little piece if you want to clean it up and make it a player. But a backup guitar will sit unattended for long periods of time, and you have to know that it's ready if and when you need it. So if you really want that one, be prepared to put some $ into it.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that nevershouldhavesoldit.

I actually texted the seller today that I would pass on it.

I'm thinking of a Tele or another Ibanez semi. I have an AFJ85 but they don't make them anymore. I'll take my time deciding anyway