The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 199

User Info Menu

Wow, would have loved to hear some before and after. The stock pickups on my 371 have not led me wanting for anything more. They are warm, easy to control and sensitive, all in a good way. Dial back the tone a bit and just lovely.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My 371 arrived an hour ago. I'm happy with it, including the Bare Knuckle Blue Note P90 installed by Foulds. It has TI 11s on, which seem a bit light, so I might beef them up a bit. The third string pickup screw needed adjustment to even-out the string to string volume.

The pickup is great. I can go down to zero on the tone control without it sounding in the least muddy. I think I'll just leave it there. It's going through a Roland Cube 40GX, JC Clean channel, and sounds fine. I'll make a sound file or video if I get time at the weekend.

I wouldn't say it is too bright. The neck is great, and it's easy to play. Yes, it looks gorgeous too. Really good case included in the price too. Full marks to Foulds for a hassle-free transaction, good communication, and good setup.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 04-28-2015 at 01:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Klatu, not remorse as such, and I've already forgotten about the alternative. Too early to say how it compares with the 371 of my student, but I imagine not a world away. He eventually replaced his pickup with a Classic 57, so I'd love to get them side by side. Unfortunately, he is "taking time out", so it might be a couple of months before I see him.

At the moment everything is new - guitar, strings and pickup - so I look forward to the day I don't have to think about it. Looking forward to breaking it all in.

Thanks, Wes Fan!

User Info Menu

I went through a dozen pickups on my 371 and there was not a massive difference between them. That said to me that the tone is inherent in the guitar construction, strings, and amp. Eventually I returned to one of the first pickups I liked and learned to love the sound for what it was. The Eastman is built light and airy, and that sound comes through. A guitar with heavier construction would give you more thunk (less sustain, more bass). A P90 will be brighter though, more acoustic-sounding. A PAF will be softer / warmer.

User Info Menu

I wasn't entirely happy with the first video I placed here, made very shortly after getting the Eastman AR371. There have been a couple of changes which, I believe, have made a positive contribution towards a better amplified sound.

I had already replaced the stock pickup with a Bare Knuckle Blue Note, but the screws needed adjusting. Even now the 6th string is still very loud, but I can cope with it. overall, though, the balance is better.

One big change I made this week was replacing the flatwound TI's with the roundwound archtop strings (12s) from Newtone. I much prefer their acoustic sound, and they also seem to deliver a more interesting amplified sound too.

And, finally, I'm playing through a Yamaha THR 10C, the Blues version of the line of amps. Previously I went though a Roland Cube 40GX. The Cube is a good amp, but I haven't quite got control of all the options yet - I'm not an amp lover!

Here's Erstelita, the George Smith arrangement from Masters Of The Plectrum Guitar (Mel Bay)

And Romance by Harry Volpe, closely followed by Sweet Lorraine, Mel Bay's great arrangement from the same book. Please forgive the one or two hesitations - at 56 years old, my memory is beginning to play games with me!

Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 05-22-2015 at 08:13 AM.

User Info Menu

I think the AR371 works great with roundwounds.
    I've got TI bebops on mine & they sound & feel very good -- I may give these newtones a try next time around.

I've got flats on a couple of guitars, but overall I'm leaning toward rounds more & more these days.

User Info Menu

Hey Rob,
    Aside from the wonderful sound, Great Playing. You can make any guitar sound beautiful.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Rob,
    Thanks for posting these! Lovely playing, great sound. You've reminded about Newtones, and how much I liked them for several years on my archtop. Time to get back to them. Also you've reminded me about the Mel Bay book. Hope it's still in print---meant to get it for my library some time ago and well, the shelves are already pretty full. But those are nice arrangements and would be fun to learn.
    best,
    -P.

User Info Menu

You have a beautiful tone! Very well balanced. To many people chase that mid-honk. Your sound is very sweet.
    Have you ever used La Bella round wound strings? I use the 56-13 set.
    I wonder how they compare with the New Tones.
    Your videos got me wondering now.

User Info Menu

Paul - thanks for the comments. The book is still in print, I believe. I'm sure you could make room for it somewhere

Melodic Dreamer - Thanks, also. I like sweet! I did try the La Bella roundwounds once, but not so far on this guitar. Good strings. I might try them next, although I'm happy with the Newtones.

User Info Menu

+1, Great playing, really love the guitar tone. That Bare Knuckle Blue Note sounds great. How is it for noise ?

User Info Menu

3rdwave - thank you very much. Glad you like it.

puby - I do like the BN Blue Note - I was worried which one to pick, but I think the Blue Note works well for my style of playing on this guitar. Noise? What noise? I don't hear any, but I haven't played it LOUD.

I've decided to keep the 371 and sell the Manhattan for my student. Although the Manhattan is twice the price, I wouldn't say it was twice the guitar, though its not a bad guitar by any means. The 371 suits me better.

User Info Menu

Sounds great. I got my 371 a couple months ago. My D string has some quiet notes around the 10th fret. I have a feeling it might be the bridge; it leans forward, which seems odd to me. Ill change the strings again and fiddle with it, but usually when I do that, things go from bad to worse.

User Info Menu

I just got a chance to listen. That is some nice tone. When I was looking for a 175 variant, I was afraid to head up to Guitars n Jazz because I was pretty certain I might leave with one of those ES371 guitars without checking out my other options.

User Info Menu

And here's another video, with more tweaking of the sound - just on the amp and guitar.

User Info Menu

I am interested in the Eastman AR371.
    From all the photos that I have seen, and these are photos mind you, it seems that from the base, wheels and top of bridge there does not seem to be a lot of room to lower anything any lower.
    I am basing myself on the bridges of a Eastman mandolin which seems to have bridge room after string height set up.
    also, does the base of a archtop bridge need to make full contact with the top, unlike mandolin bridges which only has the feet touch the top.
    What do I ask the vendor to check on these guitars.
    Is the neck angle usually good on most of these.
    It will need to be shipped.
    Just trying to learn.
    Thanks,
    Ronald

User Info Menu

I love my Eastman AR371. I haven't even changed the strings (12 rounds I think), adjusted action or anything at all. It's my office guitar but it gets played almost daily. I've seen a few others and they have also played very well.

User Info Menu

On my 371 the bridge is pretty much at the mid-point with fairly low action. Plenty of room to adjust up or down.

User Info Menu

RonDen,
    Hello & welcome!

Love my AR371; mine is a few years old, a sunburst & yes it looks green at certain
    angles in certain light: the infamous "snotburst." I don't mind but you asked for info.
    I think I've heard this has been rectified on newer production but I can't state with authority.
    My sweetie also has the famous 'soft lacquer' that marks easily; again, so be it.

About the bridge: my model has the "full contact" bridge-base and I've got about 2-1/2 mm
    left to go down if needs be (plenty.) My neck enjoys a good 'back-angle,' which I like and I think
    improves a guitar (just my opinion.) My guitar is just 5-1/2 lbs., which makes me happy.

If I were doing it again I'd look for the Blonde (not available when I purchased) 'cause I'm a sucker
    for that and I'd be alert to the weight and, as you are, the neck angle.

Mine's neck is broad but slim and suits me with it's "Gibson" scale. These things are
    all maple laminate (except for a few brown bits) and I like its feel & response; very acoustic
    in character.

Best of luck to you, hope I haven't dampened your enthusiasm, these boxes are swell.
    I was a guy who COULD NOT imagine buying an Eastman 'till I found this one.
    Last edited by rabbit; 03-14-2016 at 05:11 AM.

User Info Menu

I bought my 371 from Guitars N' Jazz in New Jersey. It came set up beautifully from them. The bridge is set up very low but plays great. I love this guitar. The only real issue I've had is the pick guard warped. I contacted Eastman and they sent me a replacement at no cost. I haven't put it on yet because I'm trying to learn to play without anchoring my hand and this forces me to do so. Not a 175 but a good solid guitar. I'd highly recommend them.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for all the replies.
    I have read everything that I could find on the AR371 .
    It seems to be that either people love it's sound or completely dislikes it.
    One of the biggest dislike is that it sounds too acoustic when amplified.
    Wasn't the point of amplification in the late 30's and the forties just to make a acoustic guitar
    loud enough to play larger venues and keeping the plain acoustic sound of, ( in our case) a archtop.
    Ronald

User Info Menu

I played an AR371 at GnJ. Although I finally decided on the Peerless Monarch 16, I was very impressed by its playability and warm smoky tone. A very nice guitar at a reasonable price.

As an aside, I think it's great that there are good quality, reasonably priced instruments available that provide excellent performance for those of us who have neither the resources nor the inclination to purchase an L5, Golden Eagle or fill-in-the-blank hyper expensive instrument, but still desire to make music. (is the preceding a run-on sentence?)

"It ain't the wand. It's the magician!"

User Info Menu

It is now between the 371 or the 372.
    I have never played a electric before.
    So...
    BTW, I have seen some AR371 albeit few, with the pickup mounted at the end of fretboard
    without the space that is normally seen on them.
    Would this be from the earlier one?
    Ronald

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonDen
    It is now between the 371 or the 372.
    I have never played a electric before.
    So...
    BTW, I have seen some AR371 albeit few, with the pickup mounted at the end of fretboard
    without the space that is normally seen on them.
    Would this be from the earlier one?
    Ronald

I think you will find a lot more AR371s available at less cost. For a laminate it does have a lively top. I tend to view the 2nd pickup and associated parts as another potential source for rattles and buzzes.

User Info Menu

I tried one a year or so ago. It was dead simple to get a really nice sound, I mean dead simple: plug it in, spend 5 seconds twiddling the knobs, play a tune. To my ear it leaned towards the late 50s ES-175 vibe rather than the more electric sounding late 60s-70s-80s ones. The neck was nice, playability was excellent and this was just as hanging on the wall at the shop.