The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 212

User Info Menu

I purchased a 35/45 watt MicroBlock several months ago to use with headphones. Sounds great, about the size of a deck of cards, and has an auxiliary input as well if I want to play back tracks.

The first one I received (from CME) had an issue with the headphone volume. I sent a note to Quilter asking a question about it (wasn't sure if it was an issue with the unit itself or just part of the design) and got a response from Pat Quilter within a couple of ours saying they'd replace it even though I bought it from a third party retailer. The replacement works just fine.

Excellent customer service.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I owned both a 101 mini and a 101 mini Reverb, both for a short time. I could not find a sound I could accept out of either, no matter what I tried. But some people seem to like them. I returned the reverb model, and the seller said he was getting a lot of returns on it.
    I owned a 101 for a bit. I test drove one of the original Micropro models and I bought and returned an Aviator 8. They all had a mid-range tone that absolutely couldn't bond with and couldn't dial out. They seem like good amps and they work for a lot of people but they definitely have a sound of their own that doesn't work for everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I thought the Aviators are open-back, no?
    I thought the same thing, but according to their web site, the Aviator 8" is described as having a "sealed enclosure". Since they don't actually show any pics of the back, i'm assuming that based on that language that it is in fact enclosed.

User Info Menu

Ah yes, I found this picture of the back of one, from a reverb ad.

Quilter Amps-quilter-8-b-jpg

User Info Menu

The one I'm interested in is the Microblock 45. That should go into the neck pocket of your guitar case as a back up amp. As someone above mentioned, you will always finish the gig.

I've played many gigs with an old Polytone MiniBrute head into a MiniBrute III extension cabinet. Never had a problem with the head, but it's now about 35-40 years old. I always keep a MiniBrute III in the trunk as a backup. The Quilter would be a more elegant backup plan, IMO. Also, no need to run out to the car.

(In all these years, though, I've only seen one Polytone fail--my bass player's amp blew a fuse one night and he didn't have a spare. I happened to be playing a Fender Deluxe Reverb, or I probably would have had a Polytone spare fuse, myself. Don't try this at home, but I ended up bypassing the fuse and we finished the gig. One fuse replacement the next day and that amp is still going strong 25 years later.)

User Info Menu

I've also been interested in the Microblock, but I'd like to be able to try one before ordering, since that Tri-Q scares me, and nobody in this area stocks them. I've called some places and they all say they don't stock them, nor do they plan to. Bummer.

User Info Menu

Aviators are open back except for the 1x8" which the pic shows it's closed. That's to increase the Bass response. Always surprised by people saying the mids are so heavy with Quilters. Just dial them out and voila instant Fender Clean. Also the Highcut works well with my Telepartscaster.
    For me the 100 watts is as low in power that still sounds full with the Quilters. The 200 watts would be even better, but then speaker choice would be very important.

Love the size, power, sound and versatility of the Pro Block 200. I use it with a 1 10"" Ragin Cagin speaker in an oversized 1 10"" Cabinet. Great tones

User Info Menu

Wow, guys thanks...a lot of responses and a lot more people using them than I would have thought. I have enjoyed reading everyones experiences with them, both positive and negative. I have considered getting the Steelaire and trying to make it work for both my steel and guitar, but just hard to shell out that much money...I currently use Rolland Cube 30 amp and am satisfied, but I know there are much better amps out there. Thanks for all of the food for thought...lots to munch on !!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I've also been interested in the Microblock, but I'd like to be able to try one before ordering, since that Tri-Q scares me, and nobody in this area stocks them. I've called some places and they all say they don't stock them, nor do they plan to. Bummer.
    IMHO The Tri-Q on the Microblock works like a mid-boost. Turn it clockwise to increase the mid frequencies. Turning it up also seems to increase the volume a bit, which is probably more a psychological phenomenon. I've set it to one o'clock and leave it there. It doesn't make any radical changes. I have not yet found a setting that didn't sound good.

I was more scared by the absence of any other tone controls, but now I finally know what that knob on my Tele is for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcpicker47
    Wow, guys thanks...a lot of responses and a lot more people using them than I would have thought. I have enjoyed reading everyones experiences with them, both positive and negative. I have considered getting the Steelaire and trying to make it work for both my steel and guitar, but just hard to shell out that much money...I currently use Rolland Cube 30 amp and am satisfied, but I know there are much better amps out there. Thanks for all of the food for thought...lots to munch on !!!
    Gear Tip: "If it ain't broke -- and you can't afford something else -- don't fix it!"

[Also: "If you can afford it, and you want to try it, then go for it!"]

User Info Menu

101 Reverb here, after quickly returning the DV Mark small jazz amp.

The 101 Reverb has more intuitive tone controls than the original 101's Tri-Q.

User Info Menu

Anyone use a steel air 15" ?
    I bet they'd be nice for clean ...

User Info Menu

I've owned the Pro Block 200since September. It's a lot of amp to be sure, but it has lots of clean headroom and takes pedals well. You can dial in a jazz tone easily.

User Info Menu

101R and OD200 here. Love them both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I owned a 101 for a bit. I test drove one of the original Micropro models and I bought and returned an Aviator 8. They all had a mid-range tone that absolutely couldn't bond with and couldn't dial out. They seem like good amps and they work for a lot of people but they definitely have a sound of their own that doesn't work for everyone.
    This is my assessment as well. I own a Micropro 200 and I use it when I need more power than my PRRI, or if I don't know how power I'll need going into a gig. It'll get awfully loud. For tone though, the PRRI wins over everything and if that isn't enough power, I also have a '59 Bassman LTD

User Info Menu

Interesting that people talk about trying to dial out a midrange tone. I run with the mids up around 6 and the bass and treble reduced to 3 and 4 respectively. Trying to reduce the mids results in a tone that I find does not respond well to pedals, and gets lost with other instruments.
    Last edited by krusty; 12-17-2017 at 10:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm sure the Quilter Steel Air is great for both guitar ,steel, as well as other things like keys as well. Best of luck, you'll be very happy indeed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by krusty
    101R and OD200 here. Love them both.
    Is there a difference in the clean tone between the two? Aside from the reverb (which is not a deal breaker for me) is the limiter something I'd miss if I went with OD200?

User Info Menu

I absolutely love my 101 Mini Reverb. I use it with a 1 x 12" cabinet. My 335 and 175 sound great with the jazz ensemble I play with. Last weekend, I used it during a blues jam session. It takes pedals wonderfully and was plenty loud enough at 12 o'clock. To my (jazz) ears, it has very much a Fender Blackface tone with adjustable mids. You can't go wrong with a Quilter

User Info Menu

quilter's really stepping up their game. It's definitely the most versatile of the SS jazz amps on the market. None of the others can do funk, fusion, etc.

User Info Menu

I have an Aviator Twin Ten. It's a terrific amplifier - I find the twin 10'' speakers a lot more sweet sounding than a single 12'' speaker... they seem less directional too, not as beamy (is that a word?).

Since I bought my DV Mark Little Jazz, haven't been using the Quilter as much lately, but I will be using it for the next few gigs as they're just a little too big for the Little Jazz.

User Info Menu

5 stars for Quilter service (on a 1 to 5 scale)

Reverb failed on my six year old MicroPro 200, which was my first issue with what is my main amp that has tons of miles on it.

Quilter service was very easy to contact to deal with. I packed it up, had Fedex pick it up, Quilter when they received it quarantined the package for 3 days, fixed it the next day, shipped it right away, arrived at my doorstep about one week after I shipped it out. Only about $100 including my shipping cost.

I'm a very happy customer. And by the way, I love the amp.

User Info Menu

I love my various Quilter Aviator amps and TB202 head. Gigging them for 5 years now. Never any issues, and always sound great no matter the voltage they see from the power source! Oh yes and the light weight, did I mention how thankful my back and shoulders are?
    Last edited by jads57; 06-15-2020 at 01:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Super glad to hear this ... I have the v1 MP200 and it's beginning to hiss intermittently. I'd rather ship to Quilter than let someone conduct a science experiment locally. I love the tone of that amp. It's just rich.