The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 212

User Info Menu

I have a Pro Block with a 1x12 cab. You should be able to put that together for the price you listed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The 10 used to be the most popular for jazz before we came out with the 12 HD. The 8 has always been through best seller because it really does get the job done for most situations. The 10 is currently popular with the harmonica crowd. The cabinet the 10 is in is the same size as the 12 so guitar players usually just go all in with the 12 HD if they're going to go with anything larger than the 8. Oddly enough the most expensive version(12HD) is the second most popular. Hope that helps!

User Info Menu

I have a Micropro 8 and it is remarkably warm and powerful. I love the sound of the on-board reverb, in fact I prefer it to my Boss RV-3 pedal (I wish it had delay on-board, too).

I've played in a small pub and a large hall and it sounded great in both settings. I've never had to turn it up to the mid-point. (3>4 if there were numbers on the dial...). I bought it used from my teacher at the time who upgraded to the Aviator - and he went with the 8. He gigs often and also takes advantage of a PA system.

Is that AV8 still available on the forum? It was a great price and included the bag. It's worth a search and a PM if you can find it.

User Info Menu

I own the Original Micropro 8". My main gigging amp since I bought it. One thing I noticed right away is Iwas playing at a lower volume but could hear myself just fine. Also everyone on stage and the club heard me fine. That 8" speaker just has a presense I've not heard in any other amp.

User Info Menu

"That 8" speaker just has a presence I've not heard in any other amp"

....agreed, a sparkle to it.. unlike other amps I've tried.

User Info Menu

Does the Aviator 8 sound boxy at all? I'm looking at these for home use with hollowbody guitars for clean tones without the background noise inherent to tube amps.
    Not looking for overdrive, just clean natural sound.

User Info Menu

using mp2 HD --very clean crisp tone super light and lots of power,

aviator is a more stripped down version but with great tone

User Info Menu

Ive been gigging consistantly with the Aviator 1x8" Combo for a year w/out any trouble. If I want more sound I add a small 1x12" cab underneath and can keep up with a very loud Rock Drummer,LOL!

User Info Menu

Just curious how many of you own a Quilter and what you thought of it for jazz guitar sounds and which model you would recommend.
    Thanks in advanee...I apologize if this topic has been covered, I did a search and didnt find a topic dealing with it.

User Info Menu

Ive been gigging with Quilter amps for the last 2-3 years Starting with the Aviator 1x12"Combo (still use it) I also use an Aviator 1x8" Combo which I prefer for my Elferink carved archtop. I believe the smaller speaker cuts down on low end feedback.

I tried a Micropro 2 head a ToneBlock v.1 as well as the 101 heads for a short while. I found the Aviator sounded best and easyist to dial in quickly, just like a trad Fender amp. I can't say enough good things about them from consistant tone at every gig,light weight,dependable, etc. If you are looking for a basic clean tone amp that works with every guitar you own and can cover all genres of music, small to large venues at a reasonable $ Quilter is it!

User Info Menu

I have the original MicroPro and love it.

User Info Menu

I got myself a Quilter Microblock 45 a month ago. I admit that one month is not really enough time for a solid assessment, but I'm absolutely in love with it.

I play a Telecaster into a 1x12 Fender box and it's got the sound I want (for the next four months, as my wife reminds me ). I usually set the gain to three o'clock, just before it starts breaking up, and then turn the volume down on the guitar.

I play in a band with five horns, doing stuff from Count Basie to the Blues Brothers, and finally I cut through effortlessly, both comping and soloing, and without the others complaining about the noise. Moreover, it's very responsive to dynamic playing, playing with the volume and tone controls, and switching pickups.

So yes, recommended. Besides, how could you possibly go wrong for 150 bucks and a free t-shirt thrown in by CME?

User Info Menu

Micro Pro 2 8" combo. Love it

User Info Menu

I have an original MP200-12 Combo. In addition to the usual jazz stuff, I have to do a lot of other styles/sounds, especially for pit orchestras. And a loud modern big-band. The MP does everything well, from jazz, to rock, to acoustic, and more. Lots of options for channel switching and EQs. I swapped in the same Celestion BN12-300s speaker they use in the newer Mach 2 HD version. The amp now weighs just under 21lbs for a 12" combo! I am considering getting another one, either the head or the 8", so I can leave everything plugged in at home and just keep the combo 12 ready to go.

But if you don't need that kind of versatility, I'm sure the Aviator would be fine (if you want a combo that is).

User Info Menu

Just a note after owning the Micropro 2: While it has more bells and whistles ultimately the Aviator works just as well for every guitar from archtop,flat top,electric, even synth. The different voicings as well as the Boost were really moot for me since I use pedals for that.

The tremelo was a nice addition!

User Info Menu

I've had a Quilter Aviator (8") for a few years. A very nice sounding and VERY portable amp. It's a pro quality piece of gear, ruggedly constructed and reliable. I put some tilt-back legs on mine.

User Info Menu

I owned both a 101 mini and a 101 mini Reverb, both for a short time. I could not find a sound I could accept out of either, no matter what I tried. But some people seem to like them. I returned the reverb model, and the seller said he was getting a lot of returns on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    Ive been gigging with Quilter amps for the last 2-3 years Starting with the Aviator 1x12"Combo (still use it) I also use an Aviator 1x8" Combo which I prefer for my Elferink carved archtop. I believe the smaller speaker cuts down on low end feedback.

I tried a Micropro 2 head a ToneBlock v.1 as well as the 101 heads for a short while. I found the Aviator sounded best and easyist to dial in quickly, just like a trad Fender amp. I can't say enough good things about them from consistant tone at every gig,light weight,dependable, etc. If you are looking for a basic clean tone amp that works with every guitar you own and can cover all genres of music, small to large venues at a reasonable $ Quilter is it!
    Jads,
    Will the Aviator 8" combo work in a big band scenario?? What differences do you notice with the closed back if any? I'm used to open back Fenders(specifically an 82 lb. Twin), but really need something that is easier to carry. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Tried 101 Reverb pretty good, so light, the cable was heavier. Maybe should have tried it longer.

Went full gig for the MicroProHD12, Princeton is now gone. It is wonderfull.

Firstly the sound, think Blackface with mids.

Then the weight, so convenient.

Maybe not the best bedroom amp I find it much better at volume. I find the gain needs to be at noon and master volume at least noon and it is so wonderfully warm. Very Kenny Burrell, Herb Ellis as in his Salute to Charlie Christian sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Bought a Micropro Mach 2 about a month ago. Both of my other amps have seen no use since I brought it home. Love the jazz tones I get out of it with both my Tele and my Sadowsky.

User Info Menu

I use an Aviator Twin Ten - as ggomez describes - think Blackface with mids. Sounds better turned up a bit - like most tube amps.

The Twin Ten configuration easily fills large rooms and even works well for outdoor gigs without a PA. It's a seriously loud amp, on par with something like a Fender Twin (although much less heavy!). Only thing IMO that is missing is a good spring reverb. The digital reverb isn't bad though.

Loads of clean headroom and very nice natural sounding overdrive.

I am tempted to get an Aviator 8" for little gigs and for rehearsals.

The Quilters are the least 'solid state' sounding solid state amps I've heard (if that makes sense).

There are amps that sound better than my Quilter - for example for totally clean jazz guitar, my 70's Peavey Session 400 is better, however it is extremely large and heavy and nowhere near as versatile.

User Info Menu

Telecaster > pedals > Micropro 200-8 = heaven add the 12" cabinet = even better.

I think the amp is voiced really well for single coil pickups. I set it up just a hair past clean and it is responsive to dynamics, lean into it and get just a tiny bit of overdrive. I stack two overdrive pedals for additional dirt levels.

User Info Menu

Bop P. > The best combo for me is the Aviator 1x8" Combo along with a small 1x12"cab underneath. Very full sounding,loud Clean headroom, portable, and no need for amp stand or tilt back legs.

That said the 1x8" is the same head just smaller 125 watt 8" speaker in a small closed back cab that easily covers small to medium clubs and band situations. When the extra cab is added it also adds a bit more power to cut in a large venue and a LOUD drummer,LOL!
    The other advantage is you have a Princeton size amp that's easily 2-3x's as loud and light weight to use for rehearsal.

User Info Menu

I liked the Aviator 8; a student of mine has the original MicroPro, but there are too many bells and whistles for my taste.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bob P.
    Jads,
    Will the Aviator 8" combo work in a big band scenario?? What differences do you notice with the closed back if any? I'm used to open back Fenders(specifically an 82 lb. Twin), but really need something that is easier to carry. Thanks.
    I thought the Aviators are open-back, no?