The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 82

User Info Menu

What are your thoughts on Guild X-700 guitars?

And about the 24 3/4 scale?

Thoughts on Guild X-700 Please-guild-x-700-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can only talk about the price: Joe Vinikow had a Sunburst in 2011 for $2995.00. Now, I am not sure if Joe sold it for that price eventually but that was the initial offer. I guess I may say safely between $2695 and $2995 for one in "lightly played" condition: http://www.archtop.com/ac_98x700_311.html

The closest Gibson is the L-4 CES.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-01-2012 at 12:56 PM.

User Info Menu

The Guild X-700 has laminated maple back and sides, and 24.75" scale length. That is why I said the closest Gibson was the L-4 CES.

(I have 2 L-4 CES and 1 L-5 Wes Montgomery.)
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-01-2012 at 02:11 PM.

its a beautiful well made instrument-im not sure what you mean by different build quality-solid maple, carved spruce, fan braced i understand, laminate maple neck-this is what ive found in researching the guitar-the sides and back are not lam-as i understand

and being spuce topped, and basically the guild competition to an L5
    i thought it would be close-but for guild pickups

its not short shrift -
    it simply i thought it would be essentially like a workingman's L5 or even a 'deluxe'/upscaled 175D/L4 CES -'cept its bigger
    and he told me that it doesnt sound similar-thats what i understand

i take his comparison to heart since he had both
    and
    to be honest, deep down i really want an L5 but was hoping the guild would be as nice-obviously theres a very big difference in price

the shorter scale length shouldnt make that much difference-some yes-i have guitars with both -but he really told me what i wanted to know-as i want a full rich, probably gibson-like sound

its just the x700 is so highly spoken of on the guild forums, and it is clearly gorgeous, and there dont seem to be that many of them or folks that have them, so i thought id ask-since this would have to be shipped and the seller wants top dollare and a hefty re-stock charge if i dont like it and return it

but for a 3 1/2 inch depth, you oughta get something kind full sounding, or, you can be comfortable with a slimmer guitar with that type of sound

and given that the guild artist awards are so amazing, i , mistakenly, thought the x700 would be equal to a shorter scale L5 CES

i have always loved guild flat tops , and i would compare them to martins in sound, top notch guitars-even the old mahog topped D-50s
    so you can understand my expectations
    Last edited by stevedenver; 03-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Just to set the record straight, the X-700 has laminated maple back and sides, not carved, not solid : Guild X700 Stuart - Westerly Guild Guitars . Check out the specifications.

As I said, it is no L-5 CES copy. An even closer Gibson than the L-4 CES would be the L-5 Studio: same price-point, almost similar lower bout and rim depth, laminated maple back and sides, carved spruce top and not forgetting that Venetian cutaway. The L-5 Studio does not compare favorably with the L-5 CES either but it is a fine guitar in its own right at its price point. I would describe the sound of the L-5 Studio vis a vis the L-5 CES with almost the same comments as Jerzy used on the X-700. It is just not an L-5 CES being thinner, less woody, less acoustic, less organic sounding but for under $3000.00 used, a good sounding archtop in its own right.

Don't discount the X-700.

(To classical guitarists, 10mm difference in scale length makes it either monstrous or playable. You may find this edifying too: http://ronclegg.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/guitars/ )
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 03-01-2012 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Hello Everyone!
    I've read many posts about the (legendary) Guild X-700's/X-500's of yesteryear, and communicated privately with forum member Marty Grass about his Guild X-700 experiences.
    Let me take a brief moment to admonish large USA companies who acquire smaller USA companies, only to close manufacturing plants, and ship production overseas attempt to improve margins! Anyway, I've never played a guild, but have heard marvelous tones from Guild archtops, so I decided to make a move.

This particular Westerly X-700 is in shockingly good condition! I'm not one to fuss about everything having to be perfect cosmetically, but this guitar has zero fret-wear, and could pass for new, save for subtle tarnishing on the tailpiece and humbucker sides. It's as though it were kept in a time capsule for 20 years! The pickup screws have never even been touched! The HB1 pickup is not your everyday humbucker. It is not PAF sounding (which I love), and has it's own unique vibe. Guild-O-files will have you believe the HB1 is the best pickup (EVER) on the planet, and while this is certainly a matter of perspective, a listen to Jim Hall with his HB1 laden D'Aquisto could make you a convert.
    This guitar has a 1.75" nut ,and a medium "C" neck profile. The back is a single piece (laminated veneer?). The case is a classy dark brown color. The neck plays very, very well!
    I have attached a brief demo video (a few chords from "Embraceable You"). Please pardon my playing, as the video was rushed into production for this post.
    I confess that I'm a bit excited about this guitar! Cheers, Jeff

User Info Menu

Damn, that's nice, congrats! I like your playing too!

HB-1 is da best, compare to PAF, no way, PAF have nothing on these pickups. Jim Hall and Ted Green preferred them for its clarity.

I really love the sound and playability of Westrely made X-175/500/700s, and considered one of those for myself, but, alas, I'm a small guy, and those guitars are rather bulky and heavy built for me, so I have to stick to my Hoboken era Guilds.

Regardless, Guilds are fantastic guitars , and yours is sure a keeper!

User Info Menu

Hi Jeff,

congrats on your NGD. It sounds and looks great. Enjoy her and play her in good health for many years to come. I agree that the pickup sounds lovely and quite unique.

cheers,
    Frank

User Info Menu

Woah! Love the Sunburst! A Guild X-700 can stand proudly on its own merits! That looks jazzy without even being plugged in.

Man, some of you fellas really know how to start a new year.

Play "Misty" for me.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-06-2016 at 05:24 AM.

User Info Menu

What a great looking, great sounding guitar! Your grin says it all. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Those Westerly Guilds were fabulous. I sold my X-150 Savoy (similar to Gibson ES-175) several years ago and I really regret it. That X-700 looks like the one to have.

User Info Menu

Fancy guitar, I love that song too. Enjoy !

User Info Menu

Congratulations Jeff! Sounds great - nice playing! I thought the best part of that video was your smile at the end! I agree with citizenk74 - it definitely said it all.

So what year is this axe? I see you addressed the 1 5/8 nut width issue with a 1 3/4 nut! Man Guild is all over the map with this parameter. How does it feel? That might be a bit too wide for my small hands - it's like a Martin OM acoustic fingerstyle type nut width. But I bet I could get used to that much easier than getting used to the 1 5/8 nut.

Also - you might want to experiment and lower the bass side of the pickups for increased clarity - but I'm not sure if that's just a function of the video recording - maybe it's not really an issue.

Again congrats on the great find.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar.

These are grossly underrated IMO.

My 1996 also has a 1 3/4" nut.

If it had a Gibson headstock on it, it would get the respect it deserves in the jazz guitar community.

User Info Menu

Lowering the pickups can make a big difference with Guild X-500's, but this X-700 of yours sounds great as is. I am suddenly getting gassy again!

User Info Menu

I am a huge Guild fan. I share in your joy.

User Info Menu

I believe this is very, very similar to the X500 but with a carved instead of laminate top. yes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by VinceMGuitar
    Congratulations Jeff! Sounds great - nice playing! I thought the best part of that video was your smile at the end! I agree with citizenk74 - it definitely said it all.

So what year is this axe? I see you addressed the 1 5/8 nut width issue with a 1 3/4 nut! Man Guild is all over the map with this parameter. How does it feel? That might be a bit too wide for my small hands - it's like a Martin OM acoustic fingerstyle type nut width. But I bet I could get used to that much easier than getting used to the 1 5/8 nut.

Also - you might want to experiment and lower the bass side of the pickups for increased clarity - but I'm not sure if that's just a function of the video recording - maybe it's not really an issue.

Again congrats on the great find.

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!

Hi Vince,
    This X-700 is form 1996. I can live with a 1.75" nut (I have a guitar with a 44mm/1.73 " nut and I think it's perfect). I guess Guild was a bit over the map with widths!
    As to the tone, I just got the guitar yesterday (when I made the video) so I haven't dialed things in just yet. I do notice the guitar is very prone to feedback, so lowering the bass side to the pickups would probably help that too.

The HB1's are beautiful in their unique way.
    I'm a bit surprised the boutique pickup makers haven't attempted to reproduce the sound, but in PAF dimensions (if that's even possible). I understand the Seymour Duncan HB1's were quite good (after Fender bought Guild, but before Fender started making their own version). Best wishes, Jeff

User Info Menu

Love the tone you are getting. Very nice. Easy on the ears.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments!

Hi Vince,
    This X-700 is form 1996. I can live with a 1.75" nut (I have a guitar with a 44mm/1.73 " nut and I think it's perfect). I guess Guild was a bit over the map with widths!
    As to the tone, I just got the guitar yesterday (when I made the video) so I haven't dialed things in just yet. I do notice the guitar is very prone to feedback, so lowering the bass side to the pickups would probably help that too.

The HB1's are beautiful in their unique way.
    I'm a bit surprised the boutique pickup makers haven't attempted to reproduce the sound, but in PAF dimensions (if that's even possible). I understand the Seymour Duncan HB1's were quite good (after Fender bought Guild, but before Fender started making their own version). Best wishes, Jeff
    Wonderful! My X500 is from 1976.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark
    I believe this is very, very similar to the X500 but with a carved instead of laminate top. yes?
    Barry, I believe you are correct, and the X-500's I've heard sound awesome! There are a few forum members who know a lot about Guilds (certainly not myself) and will likely weigh in. Jeff

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Barry, I believe you are correct, and the X-500's I've heard sound awesome! There are a few forum members who know a lot about Guilds (certainly not myself) and will likely weigh in. Jeff
    I am super happy you found this before me. haha. This is the year my youngest daughter was born. I would have had to find a way to go into debt to get it. haha. So... thank you. haha. My wife would have killed me. "You literally JUST got a guitar 3 weeks ago!"

The one I got was made the year my wife was born. So, I have one for my wife and two of my three children.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark
    Barry,

Yes, the X-700 and X-500 are basically the same guitar with the 700 having a carved top and the 500 being laminate.

User Info Menu

Hey, now, that's a beautiful archtop. Good sounding, too. I admire your playing and selection of a chart, i.e., Embraceable You.

Enjoy that X-700. The necks on those guitars are marvelous. Top of the line.

User Info Menu

Helios,

Pacific Northwest brother, Congratulations on such a great guitar. My older brother had a blond big bodied guild like that in the late '60's, two p/u, and I played it through my twin reverb with JBL's. I liked to play loud back then, and man, when that thing went to feed back, it would rattle the house and windows. Loved playing it though.

Your guitar is absolutely gorgeous, and the sound is fantastic. I wish you many years of guitar love and playing enjoyment with it.

Steve