The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 82 of 82

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeford
    I have a friend who has an immaculate Guild X-700. He collects guitars and has quite a few and after doing him a favor for him last year, he's trying to get me to take the guitar for free.

I've tried to come to a price, trade him something but it's nothing or no guitar. I don't feel comfortable just taking it.

Anyone have an idea that might make the deal go done in a more equitable fashion?

Mike

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I agree with Marty. I have given away many guitars, and the new owners can do with them as they please. I appreciate it when they play and keep the guitars, and don't mind at all if and when they decide to sell it; it is, after all, their property. As far as taking the guitar back, in all likelyhood I would have a job of finding a spot for it.

User Info Menu

I have a friend who has an immaculate Guild X-700. He collects guitars and has quite a few and after doing him a favor for him last year, he's trying to get me to take the guitar for free.

I've tried to come to a price, trade him something but it's nothing or no guitar. I don't feel comfortable just taking it.

Anyone have an idea that might make the deal go done in a more equitable fashion?

Mike
    There’s only one thing to say. “I’d be so honored!” Your friend is only attempting to show you some love. Don’t hurt his feelings by rejecting it. Just say thank you.

User Info Menu

My wife always tells me "accept a gift with grace". I too have a hard time accepting things of value, but I realize I may put a different value on things than others. I am a business man. Enjoy the guitar like he wants you to.
    Thanks John

User Info Menu

Every possession is a blessing and has a burden of responsibility. If you truly value something, you then must take care of it.

User Info Menu

Mike

I can see your point very well, and also have a tough time accepting gifts, especially those that seem too extravagant and therefore make me uncomfortable. If he really is your friend, he will understand your reluctance to accept such an expensive gift, aka respect your decision.
    If it absolutely has to be ' all or nothing ', 'my way or the highway' even after listening to your gracious reasons against it, I'd take a pass.

If he'd offer to sell it you for fifty bucks or fifty cents to make you feel better, that'd be a good place place to start. : )

It reminds me of those old expressions where ' haste to repay a favor is a form of ingratitude', meaning maybe ' the guy doesn't want to be beholdin' to ya '.

Good luck, and of course, just MHO.

User Info Menu

My Dads attitude on someone gifting him was ‘Ill buy him a six pack’. So maybe there’s something nice, meaningful yet fun that you could gift back? Wine, strings, something that says thanks. Does he have a charity or a cause he believes in? Maybe a small donation in his name? Just an idea.
    I agree with Marty et al. Be gracious, thankful and realize its not about you, its about his kindness and generosity. Why resist that, theres so little of that anymore.