The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 82

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of this model. IMO, it has the craftsmanship and tonal nuances on the level of the L-5CES. I'm not saying they are the same guitars at all. The HB-1s do sound different some. I'm just saying they have the same amount of goodness but are different flavors.

Thoughts on Guild X-700 Please-2018-09-27-14_44_22-guild-x700-1996-blonde-_-richs-gear-outlet-_-reverb-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-1-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-2-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-2018-09-27-14_45_06-guild-x700-1996-blonde-_-richs-gear-outlet-_-reverb-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-3-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here's some demos from our own Archtop Heaven.

User Info Menu

westerly guilds were some fine guitars...that looks like a beauty

congrats & enjoy

get your benson on!

cheers

User Info Menu

That's a beauty....goodness. Was curious about the nut width and shape/ size of neck. So pretty and such a wonderful shape as well as fixtures.

User Info Menu

We'll see how big it is when it arrives!

It should have a 1 11/16" nut and a 24 3/4" scale. The body is very similar in size to the L-5.

I should maybe temper my comparison with the L-5. The X-700 has laminated sides and back. I'm not sure that even matters though. It's not an acoustic instrument, and neither is the L-5CES, at least not primarily.

The L-4 has some similarities but is a smaller guitar with less glamour.

They're all good.

User Info Menu

Now, that's my idea of the perfect-looking jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    It should have a 1 11/16" nut and a 24 3/4" scale. The body is very similar in size to the L-5.
    I should maybe temper my comparison with the L-5. The X-700 has laminated sides and back. I'm not sure that even matters though. It's not an acoustic instrument, and neither is the L-5CES, at least not primarily.
    The L-4 has some similarities but is a smaller guitar with less glamour.
    They're all good.
    Thats really nice MG. Guilds are excellent guitars. They take a back seat to nothing. It’s in excellent shape too. I have a feeling you are gonna like this one, at least for a little while.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

She's a beauty. Makes me think about the first archtop I played, it was in the late sixties, and belonged to my older brother. A Guild not unlike yours. He had a Hammond B3, and we worked up Wes and Jimmy Smith tunes. Pure bliss. Thanks for sharing! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

The X700 is a great jazz guitar. I listened to a jazz guitarist play one at a club with his trio years back. I was jealous of both his lines and his tremendous sound. Fine guitar.

User Info Menu

Isn't that identical to the guitar Gary repaired the neck on several years ago?

User Info Menu

I just loved the neck on my GAA. Substantial, yet so comfy.

User Info Menu

I'm a fan of this model. IMO, it has the craftsmanship and tonal nuances on the level of the L-5CES. I'm not saying they are the same guitars at all. The HB-1s do sound different some. I'm just saying they have the same amount of goodness but are different flavors.
    And if/when you use both pickups, you have a master volume. Awesome.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-04-2018 at 10:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Isn't that identical to the guitar Gary repaired the neck on several years ago?

It is except for the pickups. Gary has that X-700 now. As you know, it's a great sounding instrument.

I got the "new" one today. It arrived in fine shape. I took it to Pete Moreno's to set it up.

The guy I got it from developed arthritis at the base of his left thumb. He lightened the strings to keep playing but finally had to throw in the towel. He apologized that he shipped it with 10s on it. Sad.

User Info Menu

i'm keeping a healthy attitude about it but i am still a little upset you have one and i don't. i've always been a low key guild guy, but all of them are acoustics, and i've failed to wade into the electrics. but this seems like a pretty nice ride, with the big head stock and the neat art deco pick guard and such. bet you could do a lot with one of these. and that is a fancy neck on it, too. wow.

User Info Menu

I just this back today from Pete Moreno's shop after buying this a few weeks ago. He buffed decades of stuff off of it. It looks virtually new aside from some metal patina.

The guitar is very much like an old L-5. It's heavy the same way. The workmanship matches my experience with instruments from the old plant- just super. The woods are premium.

It sounds pretty good acoustically, but it is definitely an electric from the ground up.

Thoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_140933-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_140952-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141005-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141044-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141013-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141009-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141332-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141327-jpg

User Info Menu

Thoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141323-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141143-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141053-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141133-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141058-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141242-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141251-jpgThoughts on Guild X-700 Please-20181117_141315-jpg

User Info Menu

Gorgeous! In pictures, for years, I liked everything about the Guilds I saw, except the harp tailpiece. That is, until I saw one in a store I frequented. I was knocked out. I told the store owner I was ready to buy it on the spot, without even discussing the price. He told me it was not for sale, and that if and when it was, I would have to get in line.

Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Guild picked up the banner from Epiphone (when Gibson swallowed Epiphone) as the number one competitor to Gibson in the archtop guitar world.

What you have there is a fine example of their work. A first class jazz guitar. And a beauty. Congrats.

User Info Menu

That's a real nice piece Marty... I take it Pete's finger is improving ??? Maybe he'll start working on parlor guitars again soon.

Big

User Info Menu

MG, Now that’s nice.
    Ya know, if I was a beautiful piece of wood, my lifelong dream would be - to be made into a guitar some day.
    And that piece of wood hit the jackpot MG!
    Cherish every bit of work you can get out of Pete. Some day, he won’t be there anymore. I called Ronaldo the other day and Pastore Music has closed its doors forever. He will resurface but I am not sure where. But him not being at a Pastore is an end of an era for me.
    Enjoy that gorgeous guitar MG.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I gotta tell you man that guitar is soooooo sweet. Having had Pete revive my '39 L5P that had tones of old cigarette smoke and grime from sitting unused in a closet for 53 years I know he is a miracle worker who does things his way. Like Joe was saying once he's gone I don't know what folks will do. His talent is waaaay beyond his legendary status.

You really did hit a home run there Marty.

Big

User Info Menu

Guild built some GREAT guitars...and that's one of them. That's a beauty!

User Info Menu

Nice spruce top. Happy NGD!

User Info Menu

The waves on the woodgrain are making me motion sick.

Stunning guitar!

User Info Menu

Here's an update. The strings that came with it were round wound 10s. The owner of this 21 year old guitar had used 12s. Then he developed arthritis at the base of his left thumb. He backed the strings down to 11s. He later had to go to 10s. Now he can't play.

I put D'Addario Half Round 12s on it. They were rough feeling for maybe 30-60 minutes. Now I don't notice the feel. That has been my experience with Brite Flats and Half Rounds.

The action is low with no buzzing. It sounds very good acoustically, more than I expected. The amplified sound is excellent. The lows are articulate. The decay and brightness are somewhere between rounds and flats, which is good for me.