The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hey all, I've decided that I want to sell off some of my gear and use the cash to buy one really nice guitar for myself that I'll keep for years to come. My budget is going to be in the low $2k range. I'd ideally like something that has a great acoustic tone, since I'll be playing unamped a lot (possibly most of the time, since I'm trading off my amp to afford this and it might be a while before I can pick up a new one). What's important to me is that it can pull off some gypsy jazz tones in addition to the standard jazz Wes/Charlie Christian sound, since a lot of what I do is gypsy jazz. I'll still have my Gitane D-hole around, but I would hate to spend that much money on an archtop and not play my primary style on it.
    I was thinking of some of the Jazz 16 models that Guitars 'n Jazz has in stock, but am open to all suggestions.
    Also, as for getting an amp, do you think a Cube 60 would fit the bill? Nice, cheap, and good for an apartment. Only downside is no headphone jack or direct to computer jack for recording.

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

>>> like something that has a great acoustic tone, since I'll be playing unamped a lot (possibly most of the time,

Well then I'd consider an Eastman 605 CE or the [very] slightly brighter 805 CE.

Both are really fine guitars. I have an 805 CE, but I got it before the 605 was out, and I would have seriously considered the mahogany and rosewood of the 605.

Low $2K gets you a very serious guitar.

User Info Menu

Playing acoustic mostly unamped ---- my 2 cents
    Go fo 17" body with a floating pickup Eastman 810.
    Yep I play a 810 with pickup removed and like it a lot.
    Discuss with Lou at guitars n jazz. He'll help alot.
    Best of luck on you quest.

User Info Menu

Can you find a used Heritage Sweet 16 in this range?

Preferably with a floating pickup.

User Info Menu

Thank you for all the quick responses! Teamster, the 810 model is absolutely beautiful. Do you have any pics or sound clips of your guitar?

Bluedawg: It looks like the Sweet 16 is out of my price range, the lowest I see is approaching $3k
    Last edited by Kalebima; 02-22-2012 at 01:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    >>> like something that has a great acoustic tone, since I'll be playing unamped a lot (possibly most of the time,

Well then I'd consider an Eastman 605 CE or the [very] slightly brighter 805 CE.

Both are really fine guitars. I have an 805 CE, but I got it before the 605 was out, and I would have seriously considered the mahogany and rosewood of the 605.

Low $2K gets you a very serious guitar.
    +1 -- I really like my 805 CE but I think I would have preferred the woods in the 605. Both of these are made in non-CE editions by simply removing the electronics. I have worked a little bit with mic'ing my 805. So far my results have been average (mostly because my recording skills are less than adequate). I believe it will be real sweet when I get it right.

User Info Menu

"higher end" under or around $2k?

thats my starting point for anything i would even want...

again...gotta go with a vintage Epi. anything new for that much $$$ is just a waste towards something worthy...or maybe a vintage ibanez from the 70s if you can even get them for that these days...

User Info Menu

Well, I can vouch for the Eastman 605ce. The mahogany body helps give it such a nice dark sound (plugged and unplugged) that it doesn't even need flatwounds. Plays like a million bucks.

To someone like me, who doesn't make "higher end" money, $1800+ is a "higher end" guitar. In any case, I think there's a fine line between "higher end" and "overpriced".

User Info Menu

That price is high end for me too but in the Grand scheme of things $2000 is probably considered "normal" or mid-low price.

When I started looking into Gibson archtops I couldn't believe how much they go for....5000 - 6000 for a new Es 175....yikes and that's nothing compared to their expensive models.

When I was only playing solid bodies...a high end was like 2-3000 max.

Good idea selling gear and getting one great guitar...have the same thoughts myself.

User Info Menu

Deleted unclear post.
    Last edited by PTChristopher; 02-22-2012 at 12:10 PM.

User Info Menu

No clue what you're talking about, but I was just making the simple observation that many $2,000 guitars do the job just as well as some $5,000+ guitars and that some $5,000 guitars do not necessarily have their price based on quality and tone.
    I made the point politely I think.

User Info Menu

Hey Retro,

I was not at all suggesting that you were anything other than completely helpful, polite and respectful of the subject or the OP. Sorry for not making this clear.

I deleted the unhelpful post.

Really sorry to have awkwardly stepped on your toes here; it was not my intent at all.

Chris
    Last edited by PTChristopher; 02-22-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kalebima
    Hey all, I've decided that I want to sell off some of my gear and use the cash to buy one really nice guitar for myself that I'll keep for years to come. My budget is going to be in the low $2k range. I'd ideally like something that has a great acoustic tone, since I'll be playing unamped a lot (possibly most of the time, since I'm trading off my amp to afford this and it might be a while before I can pick up a new one). What's important to me is that it can pull off some gypsy jazz tones in addition to the standard jazz Wes/Charlie Christian sound, since a lot of what I do is gypsy jazz. I'll still have my Gitane D-hole around, but I would hate to spend that much money on an archtop and not play my primary style on it.
    I was thinking of some of the Jazz 16 models that Guitars 'n Jazz has in stock, but am open to all suggestions.
    Also, as for getting an amp, do you think a Cube 60 would fit the bill? Nice, cheap, and good for an apartment. Only downside is no headphone jack or direct to computer jack for recording.

Thanks.
    Based on what you've said about Gypsy jazz being your primary style, I would suggest not doing this. Archtops and Gypsy jazz guitars sound VERY different and no conventional archtop will do that as well as even an inexpensive Gypsy jazz guitar. If you really want an archtop to play as an alternative, I would suggest that you get something much less expensive that you won't take too seriously otherwise I think you're headed to some very expensive disappointment.

Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.

User Info Menu

Here's a comparison between 'as high as it gets' vs higher to fit most of our budgets:

collings AT16 (waiting list, about $14500/-)

Eastman AR605 ( about $1350/-)

I think there are great guitars out there that are within your budget.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Based on what you've said about Gypsy jazz being your primary style, I would suggest not doing this. Archtops and Gypsy jazz guitars sound VERY different and no conventional archtop will do that as well as even an inexpensive Gypsy jazz guitar. If you really want an archtop to play as an alternative, I would suggest that you get something much less expensive that you won't take too seriously otherwise I think you're headed to some very expensive disappointment.

Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Yeah, I hear you. That's why I'm starting to look now - I plan on buying in a few (5 or 6) months so by then I'll have more of an idea as where I want to take my style. I've been taking GJ lessons for a few months now and I love it, but I'm caught between choosing an Eastman to have best of both worlds or going full on into gypsy style and getting a petite bouche style guitar. Too bad most of the really nice custom gypsy guitars are about double my budget though...
    I'm going to Django in June this summer, so I'm keeping myself open to the possibility of finding a great guitar from a vendor there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Anandbhat
    Here's a comparison between 'as high as it gets' vs higher to fit most of our budgets:

collings AT16 (waiting list, about $14500/-)

Eastman AR605 ( about $1350/-)

I think there are great guitars out there that are within your budget.

Listening to the guitare tones in these video brought me to a possibly dumb question that surely will make most of you barking at me, but there is no stupid question isn't it?
    Where is the added value (not to mention the asking price) to get a typical(at least to my ears) flat top guitar tone from an archtop.
    I'm sure flat top guitare should be cheaper option to get that sort of folky tone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher
    Hey Retro,

I was not at all suggesting that you were anything other than completely helpful, polite and respectful of the subject or the OP. Sorry for not making this clear.

I deleted the unhelpful post.

Really sorry to have awkwardly stepped on your toes here; it was not my intent at all.

Chris
    Not at all Chris, it was my fault in reading it the wrong way.
    Sorry about that.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

FWIW, I went through pretty much the same thing a few months ago. I was comparing the Eastman AR905CE and a Peerless Imperial. I liked them both for different reasons, and went with the Imperial. I think I would have been happy with either instrument and the 905 is still on the wall where I study; maybe next year... <chuckle>. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Once you find ONE very nice, well made guitar that plays really well--generally, above $2k, in my experience, you don't want to mess around with cheapo guitars ever again. That has been my experience.

Unless it's an absolute steal/bargain (or, most likely a situation where a person clearly doesn't know what the guitar is worth), I don't even bother looking at guitars under $1k.

Then again, if you find a well made guitar that plays really well, why even bother looking for other guitars?

There is nothing like having a few select great instruments that you love and play instead of having lots of junk/cheapo instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote: Mambosun

Listening to the guitare tones in these video brought me to a possibly dumb question that surely will make most of you barking at me, but there is no stupid question isn't it?
    Where is the added value (not to mention the asking price) to get a typical(at least to my ears) flat top guitar tone from an archtop.
    I'm sure flat top guitare should be cheaper option to get that sort of folky tone?

end quote.

I find that archtops have more clarity than flattops, especially with chords. There is also this woody tone when comping,as in the old jazz records.I do love the sound of flattops,especially Martin for folk and bluegrass.

Just my humble opinion.

User Info Menu

Hi Kale,

I didn't forget ya here's a link to an Eastman 810ce vid

and a photos of my guitar
    Cheers