The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Of the various lightweight solid-state amp heads out there (Acoustic Image, Henriksen, Evans, Fender Ultralight, any others?), does any one have a view on the quality of the digital reverb that comes with these heads? In other words, are any of them of acceptable enough quality that a separate pedal isn't required? Are any of them great (as opposed to "meh") quality? I've read a few posts about the Henriksen reverb, but nothing about AI, etc. By way of context, I currently have an older Evans head with a built-in spring reverb tank (which sounds wonderful), but have lately been thinking about getting a smaller, lighter head like an AI Clarus or Henriksen convertible. Thanks for your input.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Pretty much "meh."

I use an old alesis nanoverb if I need reverb (most places I play I don't use any, but some rooms are "dead."). I actually don't like Spring reverb for jazz, so it suits me fine.

User Info Menu

The reverb in the Henriksen is just terrible imho. Sort of really small room reverb (I tend to like hall / plate reverbs. Spring are usually fine for me). I have heard the AI reverbs are good - Alesis chip. Heard bad things about the Evans reverb also...

The reverbs on the jmul are fine... Three modes and one of them is usable allmost all the way. I use it on small gigs / jams / reharsalls. For any important event I always bring a reverb pedal (reverb addicted).

User Info Menu

On my AI clarus (series II) the reverb is very good.

User Info Menu

Agree about the Hendriksen; awful...the AI reverbs are good, and the Evans too- I've owned both, and still have the Evans. Both sound very like the nanoverb halls IMO.

My understanding is that the late Bud Hendriksen never liked reverb, thought his amps didn't need it, and eventually installed one with the shortest possible clanky delay, under ''market pressure''. He gave me a prototype module to try ( for free) , I emailed back saying it was like a short oilcan delay, and he said ''that's right''. In some ways I admired his attitude and self-confidence ; he certainly wasn't ''market driven''! In fairness to Henriksen, apart from the reverb issue, his timing and concept was dead right for the original Jazzamps, although they're not for me. For some reason they seem to have discontinued the Convertible version, which was a pretty good idea.

Anyway, don't want to hijack the thread....back to reverbs....

User Info Menu

The reverb on my AER Compact 60 is pants
    never use it
    They've got a mk2 now so may have sorted it out

User Info Menu

The built-in Digital Reverbs on my AI Clarus+ is actually pretty good. I've used it on several gigs without any external verb or delay. I don't think the built-in delay or chorus are nearly as good. If necessary, I use pedals for those effects.

User Info Menu

I still prefer spring-reverbs over any digital reverb that I've heard so far.... I agree with everone else dat de reverb on the Henriksen is quite awful (for me the reason not to buy it, when I tried it in the store). I got rid of my Cube 30x because I grew very tired of the cheap and digital sounding reverb (the Cube being in a totally different leaugue than Henriksen of course).

User Info Menu

I had a jazzmaster Ultralight and I ended up buying a fairly expensive Van Amps Reverb unit to go with it. The quality of the onboard digital reverb in th JMU was ok, but I had been using a Roland Cube (older 100 watt) prior to that with real spring reverb and it was so much more agreeable to my ears.

User Info Menu

It's not exactly reverb, but I use a bit of the "Ambiance" knob on my ZT Lunchbox. It's supposed to simulate the sound of an open-backed amp over close-backed, and having it at about 10 o'clock seems to round my tone out a bit without drenching things in Dick Dale wetness.

User Info Menu

I don't love the reverb on my Acoustic Image Clarus II. I much prefer the spring reverbs of my other amps.

User Info Menu

The reverb on the Evans RE200 is pretty good imo. I would guess - but I don't know - that the same reverb is used in the AH200 head.

I owned an early Jazzamp 10R for a while. The reverb wasn't to my taste.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I still prefer spring-reverbs over any digital reverb that I've heard so far....
    I agree - nothing sounds like a genuine spring reverb for electric guitar.

User Info Menu

I've just come back from the music shop, where I bought a TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb to go with my Henriksen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I've just come back from the music shop, where I bought a TC Electronics Hall of Fame Reverb to go with my Henriksen.
    The sound clips I've heard on line are fabulous. Let us know your verdict after you've had some time with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    I agree - nothing sounds like a genuine spring reverb for electric guitar.
    I disagree - I like digital reverbs better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    I love that pedal and the Henriksen just begs for a reverb pedal... Let us know your ideas.

User Info Menu

Just as an aside, at the music shop I tried the Hall of Fame and they gave me to play an Ibanez GB200 plugged into a Jazz Master Ultra Light, Head + Cabinet !
    I think I got such a nice jazz tone.

User Info Menu

They had a jazzmaster ultralight there? it's my amp - I just love it! They are quite rare actually... it it used?

User Info Menu

Yes they have it here, used, almost new, Head+Cabinet at 1100 euros.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    The sound clips I've heard on line are fabulous. Let us know your verdict after you've had some time with it.
    The verdict I have is quite simple: I prefer playing the Henriksen+Hall of Fame Reverb rather than using the amp's built-in reverb.
    Honestly I can't say how good the Hall of Fame is because I never used another reverb pedal, so I cannot make comparisons.
    There is a whole thread of nice suggestions_for good reverb pedals.

I just say: I like it and always use the Henriksen with that pedal.

I sometimes also use the Hall of Fame with the Normal Channel of the Deluxe Reverb.