The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

So I ordered two sets of these and they arrived today...but there's something weird up here...

The package clearly states that the A, D, and G string are bronze flatwound, and that the 6th string is bronze roundwound.

But the individual string envelopes identify the E, A, and D strings as being roundwound (they are the correct gauge) and only the G string as bronze flatwound. Further inspection reveals the envelopes are not lying-- the E A and D string are roundwound, and the G string is bronze flatwound...

Both sets are this way. I decided to put one set on, just to see what they're like--and they're quite nice...although part of me thinks having a bronze flatwound A and D might be even nicer!

So anybody out there, have you used these strings? Is something amiss with my sets?

Also, for anyone who hasn't used these, I don't think they'd work on a 25.5in scale archtop...silks go too far down the string...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jeff,

T-I mix windings in many sets. You will also find labeling anomalies - like a BB21 (so a "BeBop", thus roundwound) will be flat on the surface. But it will also sound perfect in a Bebop set.

There is a light Plectrum gauge set where only the low E is round and the rest flat.

Mixing the winding config' works, and beats the pants off of many roundwound sets that have a roundwound G that has a persistent whine that would be tamed with a flatwound G.

(Although there is a very expensive German string set that whines like crazy on a flatwound G - so even flats can not tame some odd mix of core vs. winding in at least one case.)

In my opinion T-I makes what sounds balanced and just uses string by string technology as required to get the sound right. What a concept.

Off topic, but it is very easy to tame single strings that whine (lingering sustained unpleasant overtones) a bit. I remember some Eric Johnson (or someone like that) interview talking about using a nylon high E saddle to calm things down a bit.

I find it far easier to just cut 4 or 5mm disks of thin EVA foam and stick them under the string at the saddle. Slide 'em fore and aft to fine adjust the effect, and that does it.

In my opinion.

Chris

User Info Menu

Cool, I'll forgive the mislabeling and trust TI's judgement on this one.

So far, I lie them quite a bit-- they sound like a set of Phosphor Bronze that's already "settled in," and they definitely increase the bass response on my guitar. We'll see how they hold up...if the tone stays pretty consistent for the life of the string, they might have a new fan.

User Info Menu

Hi Mr. B.

I've used TI Plectrums for years on my flat tops and after having a hard time finding the right strings for my 5th Ave, I finally settled on these ones too for it.

A, D, and G strings in the Plectrum Series will be flat or round depending on the gauge. All three will be flat in a light gauge set, they will be round in the medium set and in the medium light set (the one I mostly use), A-D-G are round-round-flat. Some may have experienced otherwise, but I must say that I have never seen any inconsistency.

I love their dark tone . While they do increase the bass response, I find them well balanced. And they just don't have the harshness many other strings have when they are new (which, personally, I can't stand).

You are right about sounding "settled in" from the start. The only exception has been, for some reason, when I put them on my 5th Ave.
    Last edited by Eddie Lang; 02-13-2012 at 03:11 PM.

User Info Menu

sounds interesting... I might ask them to send me a set to try out. I'm not a big flatwound fan but this sounds interesting to me.

User Info Menu

For the record, this info is clear on TI's website-- it's just the outer label of the packaging that's incorrect.

Jake, what's your acoustic these days?

The flatwound G (and it's a bronze flatwound...very cool) really helps balance the sound across the strings, particularly when playing figures that use the third and second string alternately.
    Last edited by mr. beaumont; 02-13-2012 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    For the record, this info is clear on TI's website-- it's just the outer label of the packaging that's incorrect.

Jake, what's your acoustic these days?

The flatwound G (and it's a bronze flatwound...very cool) really helps balance the sound across the strings, particularly when playing figures that use the third and second string alternately.
    So, just to be clear, then, you set is essentially the bebop round wound set but with the flat wound bronze G?

I have found the G string to be mastermind of all the string ailments I have encountered. Having just ordered two sets of TI-Bebop round wounds (14-55), I wonder if I can just supplement that order and order a singe flat wound bronze G?

User Info Menu

No, actually the E A and D are bronze roundwound and the high E and B have a sort of "brass" coating...very much an acoustic set of strings.

Here's a quick video just to show what they sound like...if you compare it to the vid I did of "Darn that Dream" they're a good deal less zingy (although to be fair, I'm playing softer here too, but there's still a difference)

User Info Menu

Mr. B:

I have a (so far unused) set of Plectrum 12s sitting in my drawer. The G, D, and A strings are flatwound, and the low E is roundwound, just as it says on the package. Were yours 12s (AC112) or another gauge?

User Info Menu

Yep, .12's.

Looks like the lighter gauge plectrums include flats for the D and A.

User Info Menu

Ok, I see what you mean now. I had never read the back of the package. It does say that A, D and G are flatwound. I suppose that they just printed the same copy for all the different sets of Plectrum without anymore ever raising a flag. On the other hand, the envelopes inside are labeled correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    Mr. B:

I have a (so far unused) set of Plectrum 12s sitting in my drawer. The G, D, and A strings are flatwound, and the low E is roundwound, just as it says on the package. Were yours 12s (AC112) or another gauge?
    Like I said, AC112 are the Plectrums that I use almost all of the time and I have never seen this. Do you have a caliper to measure the strings and verify that they are the same gauge as they should be in a set of medium light? What does it say on the envelopes inside the package?

User Info Menu

Cmaj9, I wonder if TI has changed how they've done this set over time? How long have yours been hanging around?

User Info Menu

i play a steal string my Uncle built, it's a nice little guitar.

My old man owns a really nice little guitar that I'm addicted to but for the life of me at this moment cannot remember what it is. I have tried to steal/... borrow it on several occasions.
    Last edited by Jake Hanlon; 02-14-2012 at 08:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Cmaj9, I wonder if TI has changed how they've done this set over time? How long have yours been hanging around?
    Well, I bought them last month. No telling how long they'd been in the suppliers warehouse.

BTW, for anyone in Europe, great source for strings:

SchneiderMusik.de

You can even buy single Thomastik strings, and so add a wound 3rd to a Bebop set.

User Info Menu

Interesting thread... I put a set of TI Plectrums (12s) on my new Murphy 2 days ago. I do not ike them, as they seem to kill off some of the natural resonance of my guitar. So, I got to thinking about the theory behind these strings. In my estimation, bass response is not increased, but the tone of the other strings diminished by the flatwound strings to give the perception of more bass. These strings are not my cup of tea. I would rather a string increase the response of my guitar rather than diminish it.

User Info Menu

I've been using the JAZZ Swing Series from Thomastik-Infeld on my Heritage SWEET 16, since I first tried them out. (about 20yrs ago)
    The 1st and 2nd strings are plain steel, the rest are nickel flat wound.
    I guess that makes me "Set in my ways", but if I want to hear the sound of strings made for a flat-top acoustic..I pick up my flat-top accoustic!

Hey, I don't want to start a debate or anything. I just wouldn't put a set of flat wounds on a flat-top acoustic and certainly would not put a set of bronze wounds on an arch-top Jazz guitar! (maybe one string, but only in an emergency situation.

User Info Menu

It's an acoustic archtop...it's pretty common. Ask Freddie Greene.

I still like flats or nickel wound on anything that gets plugged in.

User Info Menu

Yes, actually the choice of bronze/not bronze has nothing to do with the music being jazz/not jazz, or the guitar being flat top/archtop, and everything to do do with the guitar being an acoustic or an electric.

Look inside a piano.

User Info Menu

I guess I didn't make myself clear.
    My arch top is a true acoustic, w/floating pickup.
    It is always plugged in when playing a gig, or at rehearsal.

I have nothing against Bronze wound or any other wound string that is made for acoustic guitars. I simply would not put them on my arch top.

Yes, it depends on whether you are playing acoustically or amplified, but IMHO flat wounds are the way to go for that JAZZY sound. The JAZZY sound that I prefer anyway......OK?

User Info Menu

You're really missing what we're saying here, DUBYA--you have a floating pickup on there, so if you're performing with it, you're plugging in, right?

I wouldn't put bronze strings on it either.

I'm talking about on an acoustic archtop--no pickup.

User Info Menu

I have been using TI BB13 Medium Light Jazz Bebop which are wound. For some reason I've never felt comfortable with flats. I guess it's a personal thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Clare
    I have been using TI BB13 Medium Light Jazz Bebop which are wound. For some reason I've never felt comfortable with flats. I guess it's a personal thing.
    These are what I have been using as well, but I just ordered some 14-55s. I love 'em.

User Info Menu

I'm actually gonna try the Bebops on my Kay. I love the way bronze strings sound on there, but the DeArmond just doesn't pick 'em up right. I'm hoping theyll be a good comprimise...I love when I'm plugged in and I can still hear the guitar unamplified...even if it's "just for me" to hear...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    Well, I bought them last month. No telling how long they'd been in the suppliers warehouse.

BTW, for anyone in Europe, great source for strings:

SchneiderMusik.de

You can even buy single Thomastik strings, and so add a wound 3rd to a Bebop set.
    Thanks for the link, that's a great resource to buy strings.

User Info Menu

That was nice- cool to hear you take a breath while you played. My music theory teacher used to lecture and lecture about "Playing like singing"... sounds like you might have gotten that one, too.