The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posts 126 to 150 of 164

User Info Menu

The inside shot is the cracks repair, I assume?

I dunno...maybe make an offer at 1800, since you know you might need to put a little $ into it. Certainly doesn't look like a lost cause. I'd buy a guitar like that if I had the money.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Picture of the heel is playing a lot with my OCD symmetry crave, its probably just the picture perspective however

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    Hi,
    I think the one on Reverb you're referring to is an Eagle Classic, not a Super Eagle.
    Whoops - you're right. I google searched super eagle but it returned the classic.

I think taking it to a luthier is a good idea if you are concerned about the condition. If everything else is ok then might as well go for it. The frets would bug me but I guess you don't have to get them fixed if it is ok for you.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Sorry, don't know why the website rotates these. I'm not really concerned about the stability, I just don't want to take a huge hit if I want to get out of it down the road. I'm not committed to a sale yet. There has to be a price where the value is fair, I'm just not sure what that is.

There is quite a bit of fall off on the fingerboard, I may actually kind of like that it plays clean up high, but I wonder if they come from the factory like that.
    Looks like the nut has been replaced.

Heritage Super Eagle-img_7479-jpgHeritage Super Eagle-img_7480-jpgHeritage Super Eagle-img_7481-jpgHeritage Super Eagle-img_7482-jpg

User Info Menu

In my mind, even floating the question on whether the defects would kill a deal on this for that price, is your answer.
    I wouldn't want to always wonder if I am OK with condition issues.
    But, that's just me. It's a lot of money in my book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Yeah for the amount of money you want to be 100% sure and I wouldn't drop 2 grand on a maybe guitar - particularly not a non-big brand guitar where resale is tough. If it were a Gibson you wouldn't need to worry so much but selling a Heritage with a big crack and obvious and messy neck reset sounds like it will be some work.

It is a handsome guitar though. Old looking hardware doesn't bother me at all and binding cracks, if stable and not at risk of falling off or coming loose, are not an issue to me either. I would think carefully about it though if you are planning on possibly not keeping it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the pix. That's not a beater. That's a used, well-played, premium quality, all-carved, hand-made American archtop in good condition, professionally repaired, offered at an excellent price. New models are considerably more expensive, as are used models in better condition.

Fingerboard fall-off past the neck-body joint is an intentional and useful feature.
    The tailpiece, bridge, tuning machines, pickguard and one pickup have been replaced. Possibly the knobs as well.

If your intention is to buy a guitar to play, you like the instrument, and you are not troubled by a guitar that does not look shiny and new, then this is a fine deal, IMO.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-25-2017 at 03:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Many excellent tips given thus far. All I'll add is that the guitar appears to have been exposed to high humidity, neglect and a LOT of playing. If you are falling for this beast, it will certainly bring you great joy in the short run. As the honeymoon wears off however, and the cost to 'rehab' this big girl stars to mount, you might find yourself falling out of love, and be unable to sell it to recover much of your investment.

User Info Menu

1. buy the guitar
    2. buy one without a crack but pay more
    3. pass and wait to get lucky with a ridiculous deal

If you take #1 a year from now you will be bothered by the crack
    If you take #2 a year from now you won't be bothered by the extra money you spent

I would take #3

User Info Menu

?It looks like a great players guitar. BUT you sound like you want a guitar with no cosmetic issues or cracks. Return this guitar to the seller in all fairness to them, save your money and wait to find a clean example. When they are clean and trouble free they are drop dead gorgeous and really worth waiting for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    That's not a beater. That's a used, well-played, premium quality, all-carved, hand-made American archtop in good condition, professionally repaired . . .
    I'll add that I don't see any sign of a neck re-set. I see wear on the heel from the player's chest, from a LOT of playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    If your intention is to buy a guitar to play, you like the instrument, and you are not troubled by a guitar that does not look shiny and new, then . . .
    Nicely said as usual.

I have no idea about prices for this guitar. Without implying any comment on how anybody else deals with life and money, I don't buy guitars based on resale value. (I buy guitars I can afford and want to check out, and I lose money in the process sometimes). My aim is, "If you're thinking about selling when you're thinking about buying, just do something else!"

If I wanted and could only spend $2000 or less, I think you would be better off with a used Eagle Classic and more than likely wouldn't loose as much $$ if you decided to sell it. I have seen them go for as little as $1500 to as much as $2000 plus but it is basically the same guitar as the golden eagle construction wise, minus fancier binding an inlays. I am fortunate to have a Super Eagle and L5 at the moment, but have enjoyed the Eagle Classics as well as Golden Eagles I have possessed.

If you really wanted to keep it, IMHO, I wouldn't pay more than $1700 considering I could score an Eagle Classic in much better shape at some point for around the same price. I think you would probably have to be prepared to spend $2700+ for good buy on a super Eagle (I would be suspicious for anything less). Good luck on you quest, you are certainly looking at the right Brand/Mod

I am thankful for the members on this forum and recently got a guitar that I had the opportunity to play for a while. Some will recognize this as Patrick's cloud inlay super eagle aquired from Marty Grass. It slipped through my hands once before. I was able to negotiate a trade plus some cash to get this one from a forum member right here.

Not only do I want to show it off, but I wanted to get some opinions on:

1. The beauty of the Ebony Pickguard
    2. The beauty of the Maple Pickguard.

It is great to have choices. Hoping I don't have to let this one get away.

Let me know which trim you think looks better based on the pictures and your experiences.

Heritage Super Eagle-se_10-jpgHeritage Super Eagle-heritagesemaple-jpgHeritage Super Eagle-heritagese_back-jpgHeritage Super Eagle-heritagesemaple2-jpg

User Info Menu

I personally prefer the ebony. A dark pickguard (usually tortoiseshell) is traditional on an archtop. The flamed maple is nice wood, but I think it clashes a bit with the spruce top. The Heritage shape is funky too. Hardly a big deal and both look nice, but if I were to choose... ebony.

User Info Menu

Hey Roger! How are you bud?

RS, i totally agree with Rp. The ebony just looks right on that guitar. And it matches the tailpiece insert.
    However, if you go with the maple, the finger tailpiece does it. Just change the pickup ring to a cream color one and gold knobs.. Huh?? Nice..
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Yep Ebony. With either tailpiece.

User Info Menu

I've never liked maple pickguards at all. Ebony looks far better, every time. I do have one guitar with a maple pickguard that I made, but I ebonized it with stain when I made it, so it doesn't look like maple. I just don't like the look of a maple pickguard.

User Info Menu

I would prefer a spruce pick guard. The ebony looks like it belongs but doesn't do anything special. The maple looks completely out of place to me.

User Info Menu

Ebony for me too.

congrats to getting this beauty back!

User Info Menu

Both..... for a different reason. Whenever you start to get tired of it switch pickguards for awhile and pretend it is a new guitar. You'll save.

User Info Menu

Very nice guitar. Might sound odd but what about NO pickguard ? It all depend on how you rest your fingers when you're playing. I've taken off the pickguard in my recently acquired Gibby ES-350. Same on my Gibby ES-300 or Ibanez AS200. I find their overall look more appealing like this. The eye is not distracted by this large protection plate. After all, if you don't strum like hell and if you're at ease with your wrist position then a pickguard is useless.

But if you want one, I vote for Ebony by large, as RP has written.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

A single HB Super Eagle is about as good as it gets! Don't be a fool and let her go--make sure you hang on to that baby! It's a Kenny meets Wes kind of guitar, and you can't top that!

User Info Menu

+1. The beauty of the Ebony Pickguard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heritage Super Eagle-se_10-jpg

And congrats on getting that one back in your stable.
    Like a tearful Jimmy Swaggart, I have lusted in my heart for that one!

User Info Menu

I like the ebony. Gorgeous axe ! Enjoy :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    A single HB Super Eagle is about as good as it gets! Don't be a fool and let her go--make sure you hang on to that baby! It's a Kenny meets Wes kind of guitar, and you can't top that!
    I know I feel the same way about my Golden Eagle. This was Patrick’s also, his wife and son said this was his Go To guitar... Ya gotta feel that neck to understand.

Heritage Super Eagle-924e266c-d8d4-4b22-b3d8-070a69fc6a1d-jpgHeritage Super Eagle-9b4b0d62-7d03-457b-96f7-7d55a162d0bd-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 11-22-2017 at 03:24 PM.