The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 164

User Info Menu

a beauty...but I'd dump those speed knobs...I've now got a drawer full of speed knobs...or go with black tophat's if black is your thing...personally, I'd go with amber top hats...personal taste.

it's a darned shame so few single routed pup GE's don't find their way to the used market.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    a beauty...but I'd dump those speed knobs...I've now got a drawer full of speed knobs...or go with black tophat's if black is your thing...personally, I'd go with amber top hats...personal taste.

it's a darned shame so few single routed pup GE's don't find their way to the used market.
    It's kind of a funny thing with me now. For some reason the black speed knobs don't bother me as much as they used to . . . at least on some guitars anyway. On this one, I really like the look. As you say, it's all a matter of personal taste.

Knowing what kind of a tone freak you are for unplugged arch top tone, I wish you could play and hear this one. Definitely outstanding. I had Rendall load it with an early '70s T-Top Gibson humbucker. The electric tone is equally as good and quite different from my other GEs . . . or even from most other GEs I've owned and played. There's a certain understated warmth to each note when played singularly . . and chords have a crystal clear ring to them with clarity of each note.

This was a guitar that I stumbled upon during a visit to the plant. It was sitting on a guitar rack designated for stock (as in no pending order) guitar rack with no electronics or hardware yet installed. I picked it up and closely inspected it. Then I felt the neck profile. I asked Marv what was up with the guitar. He told me that it was a special build for a professional level player . . . but, before the guitar could be completed, he backed out of the deal because he didn't have the money to pay for it. Marve looked at me and said . . "you want it.?" I wasn't sure if that was supposed to be a statement based upon his observation of the look on my face . . .or a question. So, I just said to him . . "consider it spoken for". I called Ronaldo at Pastore's Music . . . knowing he's the quintessential old school pack rat who never gets rid of anything . . to see if he had an old PAF. He told me he had an old Gibson humbucker, still new in the box, from when Pastore's was a Gibson dealer back in the day. That's what's in the guitar now. Resistance measured at 6.8 . . . definitely an underwound neck position pup . . . possibly intended for an L5CES, Super 400, Les Paul Custom . . or some other guitar with gold colored covers. This GE is nothing short of amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Knowing what kind of a tone freak you are for unplugged arch top tone, I wish you could play and hear this one.
    Great story, thanks!

I just noticed...custom ebony bridge base...nice.

That's simple enough to solve....SELL IT!!!

2b's in the buying mode...hint........

Seriously, like first time L5 owners, 2b won't feel like he's "arrived", until he's the proud owner of a former guitar of the only cat I know who had to expand his bathroom to accommodate some of his archtop collection. I'd never sell that archtop...true story!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 07-22-2014 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks to Mr. P for parting with one from his fabulous collection....

A Natural 1994 Super Eagle w/ single routed humbucker, w/a DiMarzio PAF. It's really a great pup, under wound, and very articulate.

This archtop is in many respects a custom, featuring an upgraded wood package, an extra 1/4" body depth, and upgraded binding featuring 7 layers at the fretboard and triple w-b-w F hole binding. She's parallel braced.

To quote Patrick: "I think my SE is a perfect trade off between a fully acoustic 18" arch top and one with an inset pup."

No argument there - The 1/4" greater depth, than traditionally found on SE's, is noticeable. There's a pronounced tone bottom, and the gutiars got more acoustic volume...very close to my former SKB.

Okay, its been a while since I've been seeking a single HB 18" archtop...be careful what you ask for? Well, at any rate, she'll be a nice balance to my 17" GE acoustic w/ the Bene' floater....Kudo's again to Patrick for this one!

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-19-2014 at 08:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-19-2014 at 08:29 PM.

User Info Menu

I do already miss the guitar. It's truly a remarkable instrument, as 2b has now discovered. But, I'm very happy it went to a guy who appreciates Super Eagles as much as I do. They are, IMO extremely underrated and under appreciated guitars.

Greg: Enjoy it my friend! I certainly did.
    Last edited by Patrick2; 08-19-2014 at 08:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Underrated indeed. Thank goodness for Super Eagles - Thanks all!

User Info Menu

As another super eagle owner I can really appreciate this. The flame on the back is beautiful. I'm really interested in your comments about the difference in tone due to the extra 1/4" depth. I really like the acoustic tone of mine but I would love to hear what difference the extra depth gives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by setemupjoe
    As another super eagle owner I can really appreciate this. The flame on the back is beautiful. I'm really interested in your comments about the difference in tone due to the extra 1/4" depth. I really like the acoustic tone of mine but I would love to hear what difference the extra depth gives.
    I assume that your question was aimed at Greg (2b). But, as the former owner of this SE for the past 3 years or so I'll offer my own opinion and answer. I'm sure Greg will be along later with his own take on it . . which will also be relavent because he's owned a few 18" Heritage archies to compare it with.

I currently own 5 SEs. The one I sold to Greg was the 6th. This guitar in my opinion, with it's single inset pup, 1/4" deeper body and parallel bracing has the biggest, most mellow and warmest voice of all my other SEs . . with the exception of the newest and fully acoustic one I just got, whose depth is also deeper than the standard SE. I spec'd the new one at 3-1/8" . . but it was completed at 3-3/16". I would attribute the warmth and mellow tone of Greg's SE to the parallel bracing and the fact that it was spec'd and played extensively by a working pro. It's seriously "rung in" and "opened up". I would attribute the bigger voice to the extra 1/4" depth.

As it relates to it's amplified tone . . . it's voice is somewhat similar to a Super 400CES with the selector switch in the neck pup position . . but, having a bit more of acoustic properties thn a dual pup Super 400CES, due to having less hardward cut into the top. It's really a perfect trade off between a floating pup 18" archie and an inset pup one. As for the 20 year old DiMarzio PAF . . all I can say is you'd have to hear it for yourself and draw your own conclusions based upon your own tonal subjectivities. But, suffice to say . . Larry DiMarzio is indeed a pickup guru!! IMO, it's one of the nicest arch top pups I've heard.

User Info Menu

The majority of my playing is acoustic. Since selling the Kenny Burrell with a single inset hb, I've been seeking another SE in that configuration. Single set hb SE's are a tough find. Given the extra depth on this SE I'm happy now that I had to wait for one, as having recently departed with an Artist Award, with its extra depth, I can appreciate having an SE on the deeper side.

Something of note is this SE's light weight...it doesn't feel any heavier than the GE.

The guitar only just arrived a few days ago, but first impressions are very positive. I'm looking forward to getting to know this guitar. I'm removing the TI 12's today and sampling a pair of Labella 15's...that'll be my first experience with Labella's. Fingers X'd.

btw Patrick, the SE is in amazing shape to have been gigged....that was one player careful with his guitars.

Thx all!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-20-2014 at 01:37 PM.

User Info Menu

2b... of all the dozens of archtop NGD events you've only kept the two in the photo?! This new Super Eagle and the lovely handmade Napolitano, I believe?

What is your acquisition philosophy at this point, after trying SO many Heritages, a few Gibsons, and (earlier) a gaggle of cheaper Asian guitars? Are you still learning, or has it devolved into more of a pathology at this point?

(Serious question actually. Teasing only on the side.)

Seems you're acquiring more of the type of guitar that you're already familiar with, but then letting each one go as the next one makes itself available. There are no rules, of course, so it's cool... I'm just curious. At some point, I'd think that one of the Heritages - clearly your first love - would be The One and would become a permanent friend to actually be played and bonded with for an extended period.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    The guitar only just arrived a few days ago, but first impressions are very positive. I'm looking forward to getting to know this guitar. I'm removing the TI 12's today and sampling a pair of Labella 15's...that'll be my first experience with Labella's. Fingers X'd.

btw Patrick, the SE is in amazing shape to have been gigged....that was one player careful with his guitars.

Thx all!
    I've been using LaBella 15-56 flat wounds on my super eagle for a few years now. It suits me just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    2b... of all the dozens of archtop NGD events you've only kept the two in the photo?! This new Super Eagle and the lovely handmade Napolitano, I believe?

What is your acquisition philosophy at this point, after trying SO many Heritages, a few Gibsons, and (earlier) a gaggle of cheaper Asian guitars? Are you still learning, or has it devolved into more of a pathology at this point?

Seems you're acquiring more of the type of guitar that you're already familiar with, but then letting each one go as the next one makes itself available. There are no rules, of course, so it's cool... I'm just curious. At some point, I'd think that one of the Heritages - clearly your first love - would be The One and would become a permanent friend to actually be played and bonded with for an extended period.
    The second guitar in Greg's photo is a very unique colored Heritage Golden Eagle. The "Eagle in Flight" inlay on the bridge base should have been a dead give away for you. That GE had my nose opened up quite a bit for a little while. It appears to be a really nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    2B, Congrats on another great acquisition. Have you taken a liking to blondes?
    Thx Joe! Blondes...meh! I see them as an undesired necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar

hey RP - Good questions all around. I've been fortunate to have sampled some very decent affordable archtops, all of which were used.

I've sampled enough for my ear to have developed a sense of what appeals to me. I like a guitar that's harmonically rich, that has both a strong bass and midrange. This GE, my 7th, is the best of that lot. This guitar bumped the AA, which was sold a few months back. It's likely to remain, and an 18" will remain.

In the beginning I went through a period whereby I began hoarding guitars...I mean to go from 1 to over a dozen in less than a year is a lot. But over the past 6 months or so I've decided that I don't need to own more than a pair. I'm at the keyboard writing daily, and I'm lucky to get more than an hour of practice time in on guitar....but I've been disciplined in my approach, so I'm happy with the progress I've made for a self taught player. I'm at a point whereby I can't imagine ever not playing guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    The second guitar in Greg's photo is a very unique colored Heritage Golden Eagle. The "Eagle in Flight" inlay on the bridge base should have been a dead give away for you. That GE had my nose opened up quite a bit for a little while. It appears to be a really nice guitar.
    Thx for the heads up on the strings...and yes, Lem's the man....I pay the man to do his thing...I'll change strings, but if I'm going for a complete setup due to a muliple size jump, it's time to have a pro do the work. He's close, and I try to get as much work to him as I can....great pro, and knows his stuff.

Thx for the story on FH....nice to know he influenced members in your band...great pic!!! 70's...those were the daze...btw, I had a black cordouroy jumpsuit w/a gold zipper right up the center...U entered it like a flight suit...the real question should be, who didn't wear platforms in the early 70's.
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-20-2014 at 06:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, I have been jonesin' for a Heritage for about 25 years, since I first walked into a Northern Virginia Heritage dealer and played my first Eagle, Golden Eagle, and Johnny Smith "The Rose." So, along comes Patrick2, who owns a treasure trove of Heritage Super Eagles and Golden Eagles. Recently, he has put a couple of SE guitars up for sale. I almost pulled the trigger on the ASB that he sold last month.

Yesterday, I received the beautiful rose sunburst SE below. I think Peter used to own it, too. It has to be one of the most impressive looking guitars I have ever seen. More important, however, is how it sounds through my Polytone, Lab Series, and Fender amps. Wow! The 18" carved body exudes an even more impressive, smooth jazz tone than my 17" archtop. (Incidentally, on both pickups this guitar is pure Merle Travis territory, for those who appreciate such things.)

FWIW, for folks who worry about the issue of playability of an 18" guitar, the Heritage Super Eagle is _more_ comfortable (3" rim depth, like a Benedetto or Johnny Smith) than a 17" L5CES.

Cheers, and thanks, Patrick2.
    Heritage Super Eagle-dsc02165-jpg

User Info Menu

Sweet, I've got eagle envy!

If I may ask, who is the Heritage dealer in Norther Virginia you're referring too?

User Info Menu

It was Classic Axe in Manassas. I am not sure that they are still open. I haven't been in Manassas in a few years. Anyone know?

User Info Menu

GT, welcome to the land of the Super Eagle...happy to hear that rare Rose SE has found a new home....happier still you're now personally qualified to spread the word on how SE's are as comfy to play as 17's....no one listens to 2b. Congrat's!

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a beautiful guitar.

Classic Axe is where I spent most of my time as a kid, playing and learning about lots of great guitars. The owner, Russ, is a great guy and good friend of mine. I bought several instruments from him, including a red Eagle that I think is one of only two or three in that color, all of which he ordered.

He's still in business. After expanding twice in his previous location, he moved out to Gainesville, VA, which is where my parents live. I still try to get to see him a couple of time a year. With all the talk of Heritage Guitars on this forum, I figured it was a matter of time before his name came up.

Enjoy your guitar.

User Info Menu

Thanks, folks, for all of the congratulations. It has been a nice weekend--playing the SE. My, oh my. Does Heritage build some excellent playability and tone into the CES recipe. I have played my share of L5CES guitars and a handful of Super400 CES guitars, too. They have always been something of the benchmark for me for a certain jazz sound. I was hoping to hit this mark with the Super Eagle, but to achieve a higher level of comfort.

The SE is all that and more. The tone is what carved guitars with set pickups are all about. However, the playability factor is just through the roof on this instrument. Patrick2 really had this guitar set up to near perfection, IMO. It has actually made my playing better. I am reaching for ideas with a confidence that was lacking on my other 25.5" scale guitars.

I think it is a combination of strings (TI Jazz/Swing 13s), a low, even action, a GREAT neck, and a beautiful tone that buoys me when I am playing. This guitar sounds _even cleaner_ and more articulate through my amps than guitars that I thought were especially clean and articulate sounding.

It is most enjoyable.

(FWIW, you get beauty at the expense of "thunk." The thunk associated with 25.5" scale, spruce-laminated top guitars--e.g., the ES-350 or the Tal Farlow for example, isn't there. In its place is a broad-spectrum, hi-fi tone. The SE has to be the best sounding electric that I own, but if you want to sound like Tal, you have to plug in my PE-180--I don't own a 350/Tal.) Now...if I could get my 180 to play as effortlessly as the SE. Those graybeards at Heritage KNOW how to build a guitar.

User Info Menu

Hey Ken; I can feel your excitement all the way up here in NJ. I understand just how you feel.

Now that The Rose is gone from my stable, I've been snuggling up to the blond Super Eagle over the weekend. I gave you your choice between the two . . and I think it worked out great for both of us. It seemed that you really liked the blond when you played it. But it was clear that you loved The Rose. As I mentioned to you Friday evening when we met, that's pretty much how I feel about the blond. I really did like The Rose quite a bit. But, that blond and I . . we definitely made the connection. I'm no longer offering up the blond dual pup for sale. That guitar is just too perfect to my own specific preferences in an 18" archie. I'll probably keep that and the single pup SE quite a long time.

So, we both came away with the SE of our choice. However, I will say this .. each of them are so great, if you did take the blond instead of The Rose, I doubt either of us would have regretted that either.

User Info Menu

GT it should go w/o saying that I really enjoyed owning that SE...wished I'd have kept it....but that was my first SE...it was destiny that I'd try others....I particularly enjoyed the 8 layer binding, and even f-hole binding...that's uncommon on SE's....ENJOY!

User Info Menu

It's changed hands a few times, but 14 years on it still looks just like in that picture you posted. It's very pretty.

User Info Menu

Congratulations. Looks a lot like my old Rose SE.

User Info Menu

It is. You, 2be, Patrick, and I think maybe even Marty (HOC) may all have owned The Rose.