The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59
    Jazzman> I Saw The Cremora And It Is Beautiful. I Am Going To See If They Still Have It. I Like The Music Zoo Annd The Way They Deo Business. Will Let You Know Thanks??

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

i cant seem to connect with the music zoo-they say i haver a connection problem. does anyone have another connection with them other than what they show on the website??????

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by richard vandyne
    hi cjm:now you see why i am asking these questions. i really didn,t know which model i shoulkd be asking for and now you have narrowed it down to an L5ces? that would be with a laminate top.correct. if so. what about the peerless manhattan? or the eastman 7 series. also there is a peerless cremora used for sale in perfect condition that is a steal.???????????
    L5CES = L5, Cutaway, Electric, Spanish. Carved spruce top, although the top is a bit thicker than the acoustic L5. Normally a carved maple back. Solid wood rim. One or two (usually two) set in pickups. Parallel braced. P90 single coils on the earliest versions, humbuckers by the late 1950s.

I've never played the Peerless, and I don't even know whether it is carved or plywood. I've tried several Eastman 810CE guitars that actually were pretty close to an L5CES with a similar neck profile in terms of action and sound despite having a floating pickup. I actually liked the Eastman neck better than most L5s because it was slightly wider. It's been several years since I did that...at the time, the fit and finish was a bit dodgy compared to L5s built back in the day...but good enough for a working guitar and a hell of lot less money.

thNKS CLM. I THINK I HAVE NARROWED IT DOWN TO THE EASTMAN OR THE PEERLESS. NOW ITS ABOUT FINDING THE GUITAR. I REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE WORK YOU HAVE PUT INTO MY REQUEST.I,LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT.

User Info Menu

That Cremona is a steal. Hell I bet you cold put it up on ebay and MAKE money on it. They are really great guitar and for $999 thats a fantastic deal.

'Mike

User Info Menu

wow.what a response!! ....heritage golden eagle was about 6000.00 much to much for me. ....
    You can pick up a used one in perfect shape (they are always in perfect shape) for less than half that amount all day long. It's as close as you will get to a similarly outfitted Gibson L-5.

Check here - they pop up every once in awhile:
    For Sale, Trade, Wanted - Heritage Owners Club

or ebay. Here's a typical great deal:
    Heritage Customized Eagle Classic Hollow Body Electric Guitar!!! | eBay

hammertone; thanks for the reply- afraid that price is way out of my range. nice guitar though. appreciate the effort

User Info Menu

You may also wish to check out Bernunzio Uptown Music .

jabberwochy: checked out that referal(bernuzio ??) looks like a nice store but they didnt have what i wanted so i will keep checking until i find what i am looking for thanks.

User Info Menu

Guitarsnjazz.com...GO

'Mike

jazz man: i just got in touch with lou over at guitarsN jazz and he is looking into finding me a peerless manhattan- thanks for the referal i got from you when i first posted

User Info Menu

Lou is one hell of a guy. Did you call and discuss the sound and build particulars or did you call and ask for a manhattan? I only ask because Lou will make recomendations based on your description and requirements and most importantly based on your BUDGET!

'Mike

jazzman- i just told him what i wanted and the price range i am in. i think he will find something and then we will get the particulars straightened out.at least thats what i hope. i am only on the net with him at this point. really appreciate the referal thanks.

User Info Menu

I have a Washburn J-7 which is pretty much a L5 clone. It has the 25.5" scale, same body size, and solid spruce top. The stock pickups aren't bad, but drop a pair of Classic 57s in there, and I would think that would get you pretty close to the real deal. They can be had new for $700-800. I really like mine.

The J-6 (Montgomery) is even closer to the L5 (no Bigsby, selector switch on upper bout), and probably more available and cheaper than the J-7.

User Info Menu

Just for the record...

I don't think that Cremona for a grand really exists. There's a cute little button says: out of stock.

That guitar might very well have been in my house already, if it was really available.

thrush- you may be right about the cremora,i have tried several times to get in touch w/the music zoo and i just cant get connected. wish they used another internet service. i would have bought the cremora but cant reach anyone. i also recieved a response about a washburn j7. i did a little searching a and still havent gotten a real feel for the guitar. think i will stick with the eastman or the peerless. thanks to all for the help

User Info Menu

thrush- you may be right about the cremora,i have tried several times to get in touch w/the music zoo and i just cant get connected. wish they used another internet service. i would have bought the cremora but cant reach anyone. i also recieved a response about a washburn j7. i did a little searching a and still havent gotten a real feel for the guitar. think i will stick with the eastman or the peerless. thanks to all for the help
    At the risk of becoming more of a bore than I usually am...setting aside for the moment the apparently unavailable Peerless and choosing between the Eastman (probably an 810) and the Washburn...choose the Eastman if:

A. Your're really looking for an "L5 clone" that will come closest to delivering a similar response, tone and overall playing experience to a Gibson L5CES.

Or instead, choose the Washburn:

B: If you really want something that approximates a Gibson ES-350/Tal Farlow instead of an L5.

Cosmetically, the Washburn probably DOES look more like an L5CES than the Eastman, but under the surface, an Eastman 810 is more like the L5.

If you chart out the actual structural features and their impact on response and tone, the Eastman does a better job of "impersonating" the L5. The Washbrun is a good guitar too, but as a plywood guitar (and remember too , the other guitars claimed to be "solid" are actually a specialized form of plywood as well...carved is carved and everything else is a laminate.), the Washburn is going to be more like an ES-350.

Washburn, like Sadowsky and others, play up the "El Five" theme because the L5 has a more well known and "iconic" name among jazzers.

That comparison isn't a value judgment...you are the one who has to decide what sort of guitar you want to play...and if it was me making the choice, I'd choose plywood in the ES-350 tradition...but you started the thread looking for an L5 clone, and if that's what you really want you don't get it with a plywood axe like the Washburn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cjm

...carved is carved and everything else is a laminate.)
    Looks like you're finally startin' to come around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Looks like you're finally startin' to come around.
    Naaah...it's just that some people argue that the way the plies are laid up distinguishes a laminate from a laminate that is plywood. Some are unequivocally plywood, and others could be argued to be laminate but not plywood.

As far as I personally am concerned, it's all plywood. And it irritates me that so many companies deceptively label certain laminates as "solid" wood in order to deceive people into believing they're getting something more like a single layer of wood carved to shape.

To me, "plywood" is a GOOD THING. It's a 20th Century "wonder material" for hollowbody electrics. I think guitar manufacturers ought to openly brag it up and educate their customers rather than hide behind weasel words.
    Last edited by cjm; 02-10-2012 at 03:08 PM.

having computer problems will answer later

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cjm

Cosmetically, the Washburn probably DOES look more like an L5CES than the Eastman, but under the surface, an Eastman 810 is more like the L5.

If you chart out the actual structural features and their impact on response and tone, the Eastman does a better job of "impersonating" the L5. The Washbrun is a good guitar too, but as a plywood guitar (and remember too , the other guitars claimed to be "solid" are actually a specialized form of plywood as well...carved is carved and everything else is a laminate.), the Washburn is going to be more like an ES-350.

Your comment got me curious, so I pulled the pickup off my J-7, and the top is solid spruce. Now whether it is actually carved or if it is pressed into shape, I don't know. Of course the back and sides are laminated maple.

One of the reasons I chose the J-7 over other guitars with laminated maple top was the acoustic tone... much bigger and deeper... laminated maple top guitars sounded much thinner by comparison.

User Info Menu

That's odd. Mostly I'm going on hearsay provided by some archtop builders I know, but I also believe J Hales website addressed this too.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and hereby apologize to any manufacturer's I've maligned.

However, having played these guitars, I do submit that the "solid" pressed wood tops do not respond like carved tops, and are instead more like plywood (which again, I regard as a good thing).

CJM in response to yor e mail- i have a epi shearton 2 and it is surposed to be like a gibson 335-is that close to a 350???? i deont like the washburn so that is out. am i only going to get the sound i want out of a spruce one piece top? i feel at this point that the peerless or the eastman are going to be my best bet. i cant afford a heritage unless i came across a good deal on a used one. will a laminate top give me the sound i want in another guitar?

User Info Menu

Did you consider a Peerless Monarch with the set humbucker that Lou has? Ask about other finishes because he usually has more stuff not listed on his website. That has "solid" spruce top with maple back and sides and definately sound really really good.

Highly suggest checking out all this cats videos. He has the Wes sound down really well. His is with the standard floating mini humbucker not the routed/set humbucker.

'Mike

hey jazzman hows it going? i checked out the monarch and it really sounds good. so does the manhattan. if youi have time go to lous site and bring up the manhattan-really beautiful and only a couple hunderd more, i looked on u tube an found someone demoing ons beautiful sound let me know what you think