The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 31

User Info Menu

Hi there
    posting from France.
    I am very fond of the music of J. Kriesberg and especially of his sound. I have noticed that he's using a 12-52 strings set. Does anyone know either it is flatwound or roundwound ?
    Same question concerning Martijn Van Iterson who has a wonderful warm and dark tone.

Thanking you folks in advance.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kreisberg uses Ernie Ball rounds. I have no idea about Iterson.

Cheers,

User Info Menu

Jonathan uses (and endorses I believe) Gibson rounds, according to his website.

Guitarist Jonathan Kreisberg

Have sat opposite that guitar in a lesson, and looking at it, I'm astonished that he produces that sound from such a beaten up guitar. But, handsome is as handsome does, and that guitar in his hands is a joy to hear.

Thanks for your nice reply. I think that you, having seen the maestro "live", are a happy man. I would have liked to be there.

User Info Menu

He is incredible. Angular lines, perfect time, great rhythm and some amazing storytelling in his soloing.
    A lot of the sound comes from the hands and the pick as well. I can't remember what pick he uses right now. Pro Plec comes to mind, but don't quote me on that.

User Info Menu

He used Gibsons but he is now using Ernie Ball (that info comes on his "Shadowless" record). He does use Pro Plec. He also loves stereo setups with a "jazz amp" like a Polytone ands Fender like his modded Princeton and delay, reverb, sparkle drive and micro pog for some weird sounds.

His youtube videos at baltica are aewsome to check his technique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    He used Gibsons but he is now using Ernie Ball (that info comes on his "Shadowless" record). He does use Pro Plec. He also loves stereo setups with a "jazz amp" like a Polytone ands Fender like his modded Princeton and delay, reverb, sparkle drive and micro pog for some weird sounds.

His youtube videos at baltica are aewsome to check his technique.
    That'll teach me to buy a download and not be able to see what's on the sleeve (blushes).

Thanks for updating me, Jorge.
    Last edited by mangotango; 02-06-2012 at 05:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Ha Ha I am a recent convert to buying downloads - a mp3 and a docking station are much smaller than thousand of CDs and a stereo. But then we miss some stuff like that

I am almost sure he always used Pro Plecs - the change to Ernie Balls was probably due to endorsments. Oh that reminds me he is always using some sort of lemon oil on the strings.

I love his playing, one of my favorites. I just wish sometimes he avoided entering "Satriani mode" although his technique is just unbealivable. When he focus on melodies he's just one of the best like here

User Info Menu

I just wish sometimes he avoided entering "Satriani mode" although his technique is just unbealivable.
    Haha ... Satriani mode?! Could you give an example hereof?

User Info Menu

Minute 8:50 - acutally here it sounds fine but he sometimes use this stuff completely out of context and too many time - but man his technique is to die for, the sounds he gets when playing this fast stuff is unbeliavable. There are guys with more chops but not with his sound imo. Some people don't even know how melodic he can be because he over uses this types of runs.

User Info Menu

Minute 8:50 - acutally here it sounds fine but he sometimes use this stuff completely out of context and too many time - but man his technique is to die for, the sounds he gets when playing this fast stuff is unbeliavable. There are guys with more chops but not with his sound imo. Some people don't even know how melodic he can be because he over uses this types of runs.
    Absolutely. When I had my lesson with him I think that part of the time, I was just sitting there watching him play, in awe with my mouth open....not a good look for me, but sometimes is all you have.

User Info Menu

I like his feel and tone, but he's got and he uses too much pre-worked lines to my taste. As Jorge said, he abuses of out of context licks, which to me is a bit against the concept of improvising.
    I know everybody has their own vocabulary and things that you like and tend to play, but this guy has 3 or 4 long licks that plays in pretty much every solo.

He switched from Gibson strings to Ernie Ball because Gibson stopped making the ones that he liked. He told me that in a lesson.

User Info Menu

Surprised that he hit the OD pedal. Seemed out of place to me.

User Info Menu

I like it.

User Info Menu

OK! Don't know if he does more runs than other modern guitarist. But I would agree that when it comes to runs often less is more

I don't think I need to mention that I LOVE the laidbackness of Scofield.. It also makes his runs so much more effective..

User Info Menu

I actually love Kreisberg's metronomic lines. I don't think his stacatto playing would sound very good laid back - Scofield's legatto sound is much better for that. Nion is right - is playing is a little pre-worked... I have heard all his CDs a lot, I love his compositions, his technique and his playing but he does repeat himself too much... Just start listening to him more and you will get that - sometimes that's good because it's your own vocabulary but other times it just means your fingers are running the show. And nion said it right - it's a matter of context and he doesn't always know when to use his chops. Metheny or Scofiled also have same trademark licks but they use them wisely imo.

This is off topic but I do think imagination is a widely forgotten aspect of improvisation. Some guys just take his solos in any direction possible... they never run out of ideas because they worked on that. Working on DIVERSITY was one of the greatest lessons I learned recently.

Interesting about Ernie Ball and Gibson - my endorsment assumption was wrong.

User Info Menu

Yes it's good that we are now better informed about Mr Kreisberg's choice
    of strings etc [what about the lemon oil?....that's a new one on me]

What I'd love to know is what strings Martijn Van Iterson is using...!?
    I saw the "Whole Bunch" YT clip again ...after many previous viewings....
    this very afternoon...[thanks to a link from Jonny]...I love this guy's concept,lines, and TONE.....OK ...MVI has a beautiful touch...and then there's the old [ply]wood....not to mention the funky old P90.....
    But...I was thinking ....what are those strings...flats, or rounds?
    They certainly look a pretty sturdy gauge [and sound like it too]
    Good luck that this topic arose after spending time googling around
    the intercom.
    SOOOOOO does anyone know MVI's string choice?

User Info Menu

Sound like flatwound to me. You can tell when he plays the bass strings.

This guy gets a great sound. Love it.

User Info Menu

I think you're right Philco....
    Thanks , I'll listen again, a bit more intently....No chore that!
    I must check out Kreisberg more. It seems like he's one
    that snuck past me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray
    Yes it's good that we are now better informed about Mr Kreisberg's choice
    of strings etc [what about the lemon oil?....that's a new one on me]

(...)

SOOOOOO does anyone know MVI's string choice?
    We'll try to give monosylabic answers that only answer to the OP questions next time. What were we thinking here, exchanging ideas on a forum?

MVI - sounds and looks like flats.

User Info Menu

I'm a HUGE fan of Kreisberg's "Unearth" and "South of Everywhere" albums. I'm also really liking the album he did with Dr. Lonnie Smith called "Spiral". Also on Joe Locke's "Sticks and Strings" album. Not quite as wild about some of his other albums, but do still like them.

There's a video on youtube of a Monk's "I Mean You" tune that he gets a funky upper octave, ring modulator type of effect. I like it, here it is:

User Info Menu

He's using the Micro Pog - he takes great sounds from it. "Unearth" is by far my favorite - love all the compositions and Aaron Goldberg. And also the trumpet, blends well with his groups.

User Info Menu

I am on a hogs Kreisberg trip at the moment.

do you know if he has a wound G? Testing my ears, I am hearing not sometimes and yes sometimes.

spefically on albums Trioing and the one with Morton Haxholm when he plays the most beautiful version of Out of Nowhere.

User Info Menu

He had a wound G the one time I saw him a couple months ago.

The fingerboard on the neck of his ES-175 is really worn. And slathered in some kind of oil- he had a little bottle of clear oil that he'd apply to the tip of his index finger every couple of songs (mineral oil? Someone mentioned lemon oil upthread, but that's usually yellowish). Anyone know what's up with that?

Fine tone with a borrowed Fender amp and a borrowed Polytone, his own pedalboard. Great show! And a very accessible and nice guy to talk to.

User Info Menu

Amazing he still has that 175. He was saying 5 years ago it was about to fall apart.

Ripper nice guy when I met him.

Transcribing his stuff now man every note means something. Master story teller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk