The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AmundLauritzen
    He is incredible. Angular lines, perfect time, great rhythm and some amazing storytelling in his soloing.
    A lot of the sound comes from the hands and the pick as well. I can't remember what pick he uses right now. Pro Plec comes to mind, but don't quote me on that.
    I agree with your musical assessment - some of his Solo Guitar things are even better.

I like how he sometimes does an almost Clapton type vibrato and he has the phattest darkest Tone on his 175 but it's not muddy .

Probably the phatness is not primarily turning down the treble but his delay and the Guitar.

Probably more technique than picks - speaking from experience here controlling the depth of the pick so it skims the strings on lightest picking but barely is seen below the plane of the strings AND in conjuction with delay and reverb you can get rhythmic but nearly legato alternate picking ..
    Mike Moreno , Eric Johnson would be other examples.

ALL the legato players have delay and reverb and usually some gain - a step up from there is doing it WITHOUT the gain and using pick depth control ..
    I noticed that Tom Quayle who used to be more strictly legato is picking more and more now soft but rhythmically accurate as I described. He calls Kriesberg's playing an 'exponential level above his own '. And Quayle is really good ..
    Quayle is a big fan of Kriesberg and has a great interview of Jon on Youtube:

But pick types definitely help - 3 that I've found that work are Dunlop Gator Grip 1.5 mm and 2.0mm.
    They feel soft but picking harder ( deeper into string ) brings a Benson type attack .

Planet Waves ( DAddario) 1.5mm Duragrip and the
    Planet Waves Duralin 1.5mm and to a lesser extent 1.2mm ( that's just for me ).

The heavier picks with shallow pick depth seem to roll off the string due to rounded edges then deeper depth you get the attack again.

So the pick just touches the strings even at double time or tuplets time...

The advantage over the ' tapper players ' ( which I never pursued - never became good at that at all) is 'rhythmic' almost legato with ghost notes or alto sax type stuff .

And Kriesberg , and Mike Moreno seem to have been influenced by some of the more refined rock guys like EJ and Kriesberg has a lot of respect for Van Halen surprisingly ...
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 06-15-2018 at 05:39 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My only beef with Kreisberg is that he doesn't bring his amazing stuff out to the west coast often enough.

Seriously..."One" is one of my very favorite recordings of all time. "Canto de Osshanha" just nails it for me.

User Info Menu

Before frequenting this Forum the past few years I was not aware of the current crop of 'modern ' Jazz Guitarists.

Kriesberg especially factoring in his Solo Guitar abilities harmonically was the biggest surprise of all of them .
    Last edited by Robertkoa; 06-12-2018 at 11:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philco
    Surprised that he hit the OD pedal. Seemed out of place to me.
    not to me.

User Info Menu

Kreisberg was a prog rocker before he was a jazzer.

User Info Menu

On his latest CD, with Nelson Veras, the liner notes indicate JK is using John Pearse strings. So go figure.