The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hello all,

I've lurked around this site for a couple of years but never posted. I have certainly learned a great deal and enjoyed the community.

I am in the market for a new guitar. I can't quite coax that George Benson sound from my Tele. Lord knows it can't be the level of talent in my hands!

So I'm looking for a hollowbody with sweet tone. I'd like it to sound great acoustically as well as through my old Roland. I'm not particularly picky when it comes to brands or boutique makers or USA-made or Pac Rim-made or anything like that. I just like easy-playing and good-sounding instruments no matter who makes it.

Key items: I don't want to spend more than $2,000, and I'd like the nut to be at least 1.75" (I replaced the neck on my Tele with Warmoth neck after years of grousing) and the scale at least 25".

I've tried two Eastmans, an 805 and an El Ray. I found both a bit wanting in the tone department...just not my cup of tea...I know it's not fair to say but they just sounded flat. Also, I know they spec at 1.75" nut, but both measured 1-11/16 and the nut was cut pretty narrow to boot.

I also played a Heritage Golden Eagle that I liked the tone of and the neck profile but the nut was worse and the factory set up made me wonder about the rest of the instrument. Maybe I'm being unfair? The guitar was out of my price range anyways.

So, I thought I'd throw it out there...Any ideas come to mind? Maybe go the vintage route?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd get one of these beauties.

User Info Menu

New Peerless....may be.

User Info Menu

Well it's a question I'm interested too. I look forward to the replies, especially about vintage possibilities.

Joe

User Info Menu

bump, I'm interested, too.

User Info Menu

The owners would accept $1,700., discussions have revealed
    Gretsch 6192 hollowbody | eBay

. Here is the same guitar used in a jazz setting

Last edited by Roosto; 02-12-2012 at 04:07 AM.

User Info Menu

You can find a Gibson 137 Custom Classic new for that price if you look around and use coupons..

User Info Menu

Well if you're willing to try another Eastman and you're in the neighborhood, you might consider this one: Eastman AR 803CE-16 16" Classic - The Music Emporium.

User Info Menu

That Gretsch just sounds amazing! Way better than I would have expected. The Peerless Monarch is a gorgeous guitar well under $2k.
    Guitars 'n Jazz - Inventory Search Results
    A peerless Cremona MIGHT be in your price range as well.

You can also find some really awesome vinage Guilds in that range as well if you are into the vintage thing.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Loaf
    I'd get one of these beauties.
    Please excuse my ignornance, but what is this?

^Follow the link, it's a Gibson ES-330.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Well if you're willing to try another Eastman and you're in the neighborhood, you might consider this one:
    Eastman AR 803CE-16 16" Classic - The Music Emporium.
    That guitars got some OMG wood.

User Info Menu

It's nice to know what it is, but I sure didn't see any link. Did I miss it

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jdazey
    It's nice to know what it is, but I sure didn't see any link. Did I miss it

Joe
    Well, there wasn't a click-able link. I right-clicked it, copied the link address, looked at it, and found the guitar name in the link. Internet-fu

User Info Menu

I recommend a used Hofner New President or Vice-President. Early ones had big necks with 1 3/4" wide nuts. The necks have some size drift - some big, some really big. Nut width also drifts between 1 3/4" and 1 11/16". Scale length is 25 1/2". Body width is almost 16". Body depth is 3 5/8". Carved spruce top, laminated African maple (anigree) rims/back, highly flamed. Maple neck. Ebony board. Mother-of-pearl inlay.

If you are interested and are in North America, I have a NOS Vice President that fits within your budget. It has has a 1 3/4" nut (actually slightly wider) and nice big neck, and was build in 2000. No finish cracks but some slight finish clouding. Pickups of your choice - Hofner minis, P-90's, full-sized humbuckers, whatever will fit without chopping holes in the top. The factory set-up is for a floater at the neck and a bridge pickup that just sits on the top, but it could easily accommodate two pickups sitting on the top.

This particular guitar is very loud with or without pickups, which is why I kept it for some future mad science experiments. Here's a shot of it in its current state of undress. PM me if interested.

Last edited by Hammertone; 02-14-2012 at 04:32 AM.

Well, I went with a Hofner...a 2001 verythin classic to be exact. I know it wasn't what I thought I wanted. But as usual it was the sound I was looking for after I ended up playing a bunch of guitars at shops around town. The quality of the guitar is rock-solid and the tone is just perfect. Great neck, not too beefy but definitely enough for me to hold on to. Obviously it's not a jazz box, but it sounds great through an amp, and I can even play it at night when the kids are snoozing. Actually I'm borrowing a buddies Roland Cube 40 40XL at the moment and that's a sweet amp. i was thinking of trying to hear a Henriksen somewhere, but now I'm not so sure it would be worth the extra hundreds for me. The Jazz Chorus and even the black panel clean sound great for jazz to my ears...not sure I'm discerning enough to appreciate quality, I guess!

User Info Menu

You should be able to get a pretty decent jazz sound out of the neck pickup on a Verythin Classic. Post a picture!