The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

This is inspired by a couple of things. First the thread that asks for the best places near NY. (Although I'm not from Denmark!) Also, I went to the Guitar Center in Natick, MA and there just wasn't that many archtop brands to check out. I'm a total newb and I'm still trying to understand what feels right to me.

So, I'd love to find a place relatively close by that I can check out a range of different brands and model. I'm sure I can find all the music stores around, but if someone knew of a place that had a good selection of archtops in particular that would be much appreciated!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, there's The Music Emporium on Mass. Ave in Lexington. Awesome array of high end new and used stuff, but they're also a dealer for Eastman, Godin, and The Loar.

User Info Menu

Like Tom says.

But "archtop" covers a lot of territory. GC Boston may have an Epi Joe Pass or something. Also, there is (or was) an Eastman Dealer on Mass Ave in Cambridge with good stock.

Also a couple of places in Connecticut.

To be crass: Are you looking for a $600 guitar or a $2,000 plus?

Chris

User Info Menu

Thanks, Tom. I was hoping that you would reply since I saw that you just picked up a guitar in Portland, ME. I have been to Music Emporium before, but wasn't looking for this style of guitar at the time. It struck me as a good place to pick up a high quality instrument. Thanks for reminding me of this place.

PT - I don't thing that it is crass to identify my budget, but I'm afraid that my response is a little crass because I would say my budget i somewhere between $200 and $1200, which I realize is quite a range.

The thing is that since I am just beginning in jazz playing, I think the smart thing to do is not to get too invested in any one instrument before I understand the aspects of the sound that I want out of my instrument. At the same time I'm a little old in the tooth. I know what a good guitar sounds like and can feel like to play and once you know that it is hard to go back to the dial up internet, if you know what I mean.

Also, there are things that I am learning as far as what feels right to me. I was all set to pick up an Artcore AK80 from someone on Craigslist today for $225 just so I can get to learning, which would have been a great deal, but when I checked it out the neck seemed too narrow to me - or jut not comfortable for some reason. Fortunately, I had gone to that GC and knew that not even all the Inbanez's felt that way to me and that it was't just that I'm coming from a flamenco guitar neck, which is going to be wider than any jazz box.

So, I'm trying to survey what is out there and either get something new or used, but before making the purchase playing enough guitars that I at least understand what feels good to me. Once I find that , I'm willing to invest in something that is right for me.

User Info Menu

I know the Daddy's Junky Music chain is all over the place in the northeast. They aren't going to have anything real high end but it's worth seeing what they have. There's also a decent dealer down in the Providence area - Island Music or Island House - can't remember the exact name because it's been a long time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by va3ux
    I know the Daddy's Junky Music chain is all over the place in the northeast. They aren't going to have anything real high end but it's worth seeing what they have. There's also a decent dealer down in the Providence area - Island Music or Island House - can't remember the exact name because it's been a long time.
    Not anymore! Daddy's closed their doors several weeks back. Mr Music on Harvard Ave in Allston might be worth a look.

User Info Menu

East coast stores seem a lot less friendly these days. I mean even NYC - I used to pop into the many stores in mid-town Manhattan and just pick up a few guitars and play them with no hassle. Last week I was in Rudy's (where I have bought two guitars) and everything, I mean everything, was locked down. I would never buy a guitar until I had a chance to play it to my satisfaction. So I will never buy another guitar in NYC I guess. Boston? No experience, but sounds like the same general drill.

San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Monica (just a few examples) provide a very different experience. I was in SF in December and walked into the Guitar Center on Van Ness, and they had an incredible selection, including the exact guitar I was looking to play. I played it through several amps and a couple headphones, and the only sales interaction was one of their staff asking if he could jam with me. I bought some strings and left, and found the guitar cheaper online and bought it. I don't know how retail still exists, but this is a case where I am very glad it does.

User Info Menu

JimBob,

Come to Jersey next time. Lark Street, Golden Age, Guitars and Jazz. Even 9 South Guitars.

However , stay away form the chain stores. I always find th eworkers there wishing they were gigging rather than being in the store

User Info Menu

And thanx for the tip. It's weird how things are now - I saw a classic L5 in Nashville for about what my current car cost, and a couple months later I saw what could have been the same guitar in a pawn shop in New Orleans for girl scout cookie money. I guess these days guitars are like real estate - location, etc. and with the weak economy, it's a buyer's market.

I should mention that neither of those places were keen on me playing the guitar in question, which I understand, but I have never bought, and will never buy, any instrument I have not been able to play to my satisfaction.

User Info Menu

There's also South Shore Music in Weymouth (www.justplaymusic.com). They seem to have a few Eastmans, Hagstroms, and Gretches in stock.

Music Go Round (new chain) in Natick may or may not have an archtop or two - they had a Crafter FEG780 (vaguely an ES-175 type) for $600 with case a while back. Very well made, but needed a setup. I have a Crafter SEG480 (very similar, but a 335 clone) that's a great guitar. Crafter is a Korean company that's often overlooked, but they're very well made and quite affordable.

Finally, my local haunt - Barnstorm Music II in beautiful downtown Medway - currently has an old Aria FA-77 (17" with a single floating pickup) on consignment. Asking $600+, but ...

As far as TME (The Music Emporium) is concerned, now that I'm not specifically in the market for a new guitar, I can temporarily go there in safety. They're a Wegen pick dealer, too!
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 01-29-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Fix link

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies. There are definitely places here that I would not have thought to go to. (I think I have something to do this afternoon!) This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks Tom for the recommendation of Barnstormers. I'm actually in Needham. So, it shouldn't be too bad to get down there. (Also, I absolutely know what you mean about TME - it is not safe for me to go in there right now!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimBobWay
    East coast stores seem a lot less friendly these days. I mean even NYC - I used to pop into the many stores in mid-town Manhattan and just pick up a few guitars and play them with no hassle. Last week I was in Rudy's (where I have bought two guitars) and everything, I mean everything, was locked down. I would never buy a guitar until I had a chance to play it to my satisfaction. So I will never buy another guitar in NYC I guess. Boston? No experience, but sounds like the same general drill.

San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Monica (just a few examples) provide a very different experience. I was in SF in December and walked into the Guitar Center on Van Ness, and they had an incredible selection, including the exact guitar I was looking to play. I played it through several amps and a couple headphones, and the only sales interaction was one of their staff asking if he could jam with me. I bought some strings and left, and found the guitar cheaper online and bought it. I don't know how retail still exists, but this is a case where I am very glad it does.
    Well, don't EXPECT retail stores to stay open if you test their stock then buy from someone else!

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, when I went to GC in Natick even though Laura' eyeshadow was telling me that she was probably more into Poison than Pat Metheny she had some knowledge about the archtops there and was sure to let me know that I could stay there as long as I wanted to check out any of the guitars through any of the amps there. It was my first time there, but it seemed relaxed and I appreciated that. I'll probably go back since I saw a Joe Pass model in the used section I didn't get to demo.

The more general conversation about how brick and mortar stores can compete in the internet age applies to music stores as much as any type of store, I guess, but I have always been willing to pay a little more (within reason) to buy from someone that treats me well, has some knowledge about the product they are selling and I know that I can go back to (for an instrument it would be for repairs, advice, future instruments, etc.) It seems to me that this is even more important with something like an instrument (as opposed to a book) since the one you try at a store may NOT be like the exact same model you get off of craigslist/ebay. Instruments are just different. I'm not going to pay hundreds and hundreds of dollars more, but I do value someone taking the time to help me when I don't really know what I'm looking for. Internet searches can only do so much.

Part of why I wanted to start this thread is so that I can see if anyone around this area has had good experiences like this with a particular shop. So, thanks for the tips! They are very helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lzybdha
    Thanks Tom for the recommendation of Barnstorm. I'm actually in Needham. So, it shouldn't be too bad to get down there.
    Well, it's hard to get to Medway from anywhere ... and vica versa! Seriously, it should take you less than 40 minutes; just go to Medfield and take 109 through Millis into Medway. Tell Dean (ace guitar tech) or Ted (owner) that I sent you!

Oh, and if you do dare to go to TME, they appear to have this:
    http://www.themusicemporium.com/prod...p-cutaway.html
    and this:
    http://www.themusicemporium.com/prod...z-natural.html
    Last edited by Tom Karol; 01-29-2012 at 02:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I was going to suggest the Music Emporium as Tom already did. They have Eastmans at least. I used to take lessons (from great local jazz guitarist Mike Mele) there and would check out there stuff...but I haven't been there in a long time.

Otherwise, do you think Mr. Music in Brighton would have any archtops? I bought my Seagull acoustic from there. Their website says they carry D'Angelico, Ibanez and Loar...so maybe.

I've never had a chance to check out South Shore Music in Weymouth.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 01-29-2012 at 03:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, I couldn't get out of the house yesterday, but I'm really looking forward to checking out Barnstormers and these other shops. It looks like South Shore has a bunch of Hagstroms, which I should be looking at given my playing level.

I'm wondering if I want a Gibson L5, ES-175, or ES-335 TYPE of guitar for quick of a way of characterizing that decision.

THIS wikipedia entry has some interesting information on what is considered an archtop - common usage is an L5 typr of guitar, but all of these could generally be called that. I'm looking forward to testing guitars with the distinction of these different types in mind!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Well, don't EXPECT retail stores to stay open if you test their stock then buy from someone else!
    We are already well into a different model for transactions. But as long as retail exists, I will take advantage of its benefits and avoid its deficits. Is that a bad thing? If so, maybe you will be less offended to know that I recently did a swap with a music store noted earlier in this thread which was not only mutually beneficial, but most likely to their overall benefit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    There's also South Shore Music in Weymouth (www.justplaymusic.com). They seem to have a few Eastmans, Hagstroms, and Gretches in stock.
    From looking at their website, it looks like they have an Eastman ar371 in stock. I'd sure like to try one of those.

User Info Menu

Nice catch on that. I was just on their website and they don't have that listed in their guitar section. It is only in their "Just arrived" section on the first page. They do have a Eastman Thinline T145 listed in their guitar section, though. That is a type of guitar I want to try as well. If I can't get there tonight definitely by this weekend!