Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    I've never owned one of these guitars, but have a chance to buy one cheap, as-new.
    Somebody on the forum might have some observations....For instance, I don't know if it has a center wood block inside or if it's fully hollow. I'll see the instrument in a day or two, but in the meantime, does it have any quirks or characteristics to look out for? Especially since, anytime something sells really cheap, I ask myself why.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I used to have a Korean made one, and my friend has a Chinese one, and they're both fantastic guitars, especially for the price. thought I liked mine a little better. They're semi hollow, and with a decent set of pickups in there, they can go from jazz to most other styles without any problems.

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
    I used to have a Korean made one, and my friend has a Chinese one, and they're both fantastic guitars, especially for the price. thought I liked mine a little better. They're semi hollow, and with a decent set of pickups in there, they can go from jazz to most other styles without any problems.
    Thanks Uncle,
    I don't know yet where this one was made, waiting for a response to set up a play.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    I've owned a couple of Epi Dots and wouldn't hesitate to own another. I think they're a good buy and as was mentioned, can serve more than one genre respectably. I did swap out pups/electronics, but that was a personal choice...I'm sure you can get satisfactory tone from the stock materials.

  6. #5
    Thanks Kevin,
    Sounds encouraging.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    I am not going to dump on the DOT because of all of the positive feedback I have been hearing about them...I have come to the conclusion that I just had the bad luck to get a dud Epi DOT. May I suggest that you just make sure that all of the hardware is tight and well secured before you buy it including volume, tone knobs, input jack etc.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ruiner54
    I am not going to dump on the DOT because of all of the positive feedback I have been hearing about them...I have come to the conclusion that I just had the bad luck to get a dud Epi DOT. May I suggest that you just make sure that all of the hardware is tight and well secured before you buy it including volume, tone knobs, input jack etc.
    Ah, yes. The basic cautions, easily overlooked. Thank you.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    I've tested them out in music stores and also picked up an Epi Les Paul.
    Some of the things to look for as said are: loose pots, pick ups wired out of phase, pots wired backwards - (turning the volume down actually brings the volume up).
    But if you're at a store that has a lot of them and you pick through them you can find a nice one.

    Also, I've noticed that the Chinese made Epiphone's usually have pick ups with dull highs. Compared to USA made pick ups they are dull.
    Last edited by RuffRider; 01-16-2012 at 06:39 PM.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    I bought a Dot 6 months ago and checked some features and characteristics:
    - the PU have the same inductance of the Classic 57's of my 175 (!)
    - neck material is mahogany (some reseller say maple, but it's wrong)
    - the body length is one inch less than the Gibson ES 335
    - the central block seems maple to me
    - it could be necessary to lower the G string at the nut
    - it could be necessary to tighten some screws (tuning pegs and pickguard).


    I mounted Thomastick Bebop 0.011 string, et voilà: a very good guitar.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    I replaced all the electronics with CTS pots, Mojotone caps, switchcraft, and a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck (don't use the bridge). I polished the frets and fretboard and had to smooth out the rough fret edges and lower the nut for the B string. It now sounds and feels very good. If you do not like to DIY, might want to check it out very carefully. With the exceptions above, the workmanship on the body and neck were excellent. Good value, especially with the upgrades. The block is maple and the neck is mahogany.

    regards
    Denis
    Last edited by DenisT; 01-16-2012 at 08:28 PM.

  12. #11
    Okay guys,
    Interesting. Electrics may not be the Oriental strong point

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    I got mine as new for a hundred bucks from a cash strapped, guitar rich player. Replaced pick-ups with Duncans, all new black hardware, new pots and switch for about $200 and change. It always felt good to me so it was well worth the upgrades. Stock electronics are lacking, except the pups which are decent, but not VG or Great.

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyaleT
    I got mine as new for a hundred bucks from a cash strapped, guitar rich player. Replaced pick-ups with Duncans, all new black hardware, new pots and switch for about $200 and change. It always felt good to me so it was well worth the upgrades. Stock electronics are lacking, except the pups which are decent, but not VG or Great.
    It's starting to look like there's a consensus here, that the Dot is a decent guitar but could use a pickup improvement. Interesting.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    I recently played one of the new Epi es 339s - I was very impressed! Only $439.00 in Canada. Comes close to my Gibson 335 in the sound and the feel

  16. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    I recently played one of the new Epi es 339s - I was very impressed! Only $439.00 in Canada. Comes close to my Gibson 335 in the sound and the feel
    We generally pay quite a bit more in Australia...But one never knows. I'll have to check out the 339 when I have time.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    +1 on the Thomastik Bebop 11's. I had them top wrapped on my guitar and it felt like an extension of my body

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Save your money and buy and Epi Sheraton II. One of the best Semi-Hollows ever!

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    I'm new to the dot. Can't figure out the volume pots. Tell me if this is how they should work please.........When the switch is in the middle, if I have both volumes turned down..... If I bring up the bottom volume I get level....... If I turn that pot down..... And raise the top pot I get no volume until I bring the bottom pot back up...... Then both pots effect the level???

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    I bought a Korean dot from a band mate and he put JB pups in there. Sounds great. Punches above its weight for the price. Its about 10 years old I think. Maybe I got lucky.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by hairyhatman
    I bought a Korean dot from a band mate and he put JB pups in there. Sounds great. Punches above its weight for the price. Its about 10 years old I think. Maybe I got lucky.

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Noisy
    I'm new to the dot. Can't figure out the volume pots. Tell me if this is how they should work please.........When the switch is in the middle, if I have both volumes turned down..... If I bring up the bottom volume I get level....... If I turn that pot down..... And raise the top pot I get no volume until I bring the bottom pot back up...... Then both pots effect the level???

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    I recently played one of the new Epi es 339s - I was very impressed! Only $439.00 in Canada. Comes close to my Gibson 335 in the sound and the feel
    The EPI ES-339 Pro is my main test guitar, in that use since I started making TOOB cabs in early 2017. Gosh, time to change strings I guess. It's very versatile but somehow lacks the mojo (I'd define it as acoustic liveliness) of a good 335-sized axe.The Epi Dot has always figured, but now I'm leaning towards a non-centerblock thinbody, i.e. the Epi Casino. That's likely to be my latest last guitar.

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    I always found the same priced Ibanez semihollows to be a level above Epiphone dot in sound, quality, and playability.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Within those 8 years, Epiphone has REALLY upped their game. So much competition today, as seen at NAMM 2020. Their guitars, the tone woods, construction, and hardware + electronics are leaps and bounds ahead of what they used to supply. I know, I have always shopped and tried them, having owned some old Epi's and Gibsons, I wanted to like them, and wished for their success. But my newest EPI, the 335 Pro (Limited Edition?) is just killer. Played on the gig yesterday (all stock) and with a Princeton Reverb, a Boss '59 Bassman pedal, I thought I was playing a beefy sounding Les Paul with tremendous lower mids, and singing sustaining highs.
    Just one wonderful experience with this guitar!. And it's versatile. On sale at MF!!!! I may buy a backup.