The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 88

User Info Menu

..Spring Reverb, delay....can't recall the exact model anymore,or tube configuration......I never gigged with it, and word was they had no guts on a gig whatsoever......and it weighed a ton.......But - at low / living room volume, with a hint of reverb, low bass, and little more treble, I could absolutely nail Jim Hall / Wes sound with my 60's ES-175. It looked like the day it was made, except for dust- and all it brought was $400. Hope that helps.
    Dennis

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This was the workhorse for pretty much every NY jazz guy in the 50's. Clean, buttery, hi-fi-like fat tone. Not sure what speaker is in there now but if I already didn't have a vintage Ampeg I'd grab this in a heartbeat:
    1960 Ampeg Guitar Amp Gray > Amps & Preamps - Kentucky Vintage Guitars | Gbase.com

User Info Menu

I play at home A LOT but I also do some, chamber jazz i guess you might call it, type gigs that are real low volume type situations. I guess I am searching for something that will be warm and full sounding at home and on a gig. Maybe a deluxe with and attenuator is the trick?

As for the AMpeg stuff. I am kind of a fan of that tone. I know Ted Greene LOVED Ampeg stuff though he is mostly seen as a fender guy.

I like this one:
    vtg AMPEG GEMINI GV-22 GV15-22 212 2-12" TUBE GUITAR AMPLIFIER AMP ~reverb ~ | eBay

But I am not sure a 2x12is realy what I need...or want. This seems like a Deluxe with serious attitude...haha Actually seems like one hell of an amp.
    I am just not sure what to do. I love all the help guys and a special Nod to Hammertone...loving all the old Ampeg stuff man.

'Mike

I'm using a cube 60, a fine decent amp. And also a backstar ht club 40. Amazing clean sound. You should try it. Also at bedroom level.

User Info Menu

Ron any place where I might here some jazz tones on the Blackstar HT club 40? That was one of the amps I was kind of looking at.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Not a tube amp but just to throw it in, a Mustang II will get you pretty close to a DRRI tone that imho sounds good at all volumes.

User Info Menu

Hey Hammertone is this:
    1965 Ampeg Reverbrocket R12R > Amps & Preamps - Emerald City Guitars | Gbase.com#

The same as or very similar to the GS12R reverb rocket in the ebay listing you posted?

'Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Al_F
    Not a tube amp but just to throw it in, a Mustang II will get you pretty close to a DRRI tone that imho sounds good at all volumes.
    I doubt a Mustang will get you a DRRI tone but I might be wrong.

User Info Menu

I appreciate the thought but I already have a very serviceale SS Roland Cube 80XL. Its a got a good jazz tone but not the warmth oof tubes that I crave. So for now SS amps are not what I am looking at. I actually got the Cube 80XL instead of a few other ss jazz amps. For the price the tone of the others was not worth almost 3xs as much.

I had even thought about selling the Cube 80XL to help fund the quest for tube glory but thought better of it.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Any thoughts on this:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I put in a small bid just to see what happens.

'Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman301
    Any thoughts on this:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I put in a small bid just to see what happens.

'Mike
    I dont recommend ebay for parts/project amps unless the person buying actually can do the work. If you cant, you have to factor in the price of getting someone to do the work for you.

Example: Lets say that amp in good condition is worth 500$. It will require150$ in labour and 100$ in parts for you to get it working so your max bid should be 250$.

I am able to do the work and have most of the parts available. It would cost me about 75$ to bring the amp into working condition (since I already have parts and labour available). So my max bid should be 425$.. I win.

I dont remember but why do you not want a fender? For the current price on that amp you can get a Blues Jr that, while not a classic, is a solid amp that wont need a major overhaul of caps and powertubes.

My 2 cents

User Info Menu

I am just curious what else is out there beyond brand F for tubed jazz tones.
    I actually did not place the bid. I must have closed the page before actually bidding. I will take your advice I think.

'Mike
    Last edited by Jazzman301; 12-01-2011 at 06:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    ........you can get a Blues Jr that, while not a classic, is a solid amp that wont need a major overhaul of caps and power tubes.
    Some players like the jazz tones this amp can achieve.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 12-01-2011 at 06:55 PM.

I appreciate the thought but I already have a very serviceale SS Roland Cube 80XL. Its a got a good jazz tone but not the warmth oof tubes that I crave. So for now SS amps are not what I am looking at. I actually got the Cube 80XL instead of a few other ss jazz amps. For the price the tone of the others was not worth almost 3xs as much.

'Mike
    correct me if i'm wrong but if you are searching just for more warmth, than i would also pay some more attention on speaker's, since they have a big influence on tone. and i just did an speaker exchange with my cube 80 and it's like a new amp to me.

well it's not really the same like a tube amp, (and i wouldn't pretend that) but since it seems that you aren't really sure about what you want, i would sugguest that you take some more time on research.
    and i know that sometimes it doesn't feel the same with the idea of playing on an inexpansive amp.

User Info Menu

I am just curious what else is out there beyond brand F for tubed jazz tones.
    I actually did not place the bid. I must have closed the page before actually bidding. I will take your advice I think.

'Mike
    I'll give you another alternative entirely that is working for me really well: a Line 6 Pod HD (their newest generation amp modeler) with a nice little flat response powered cabinet. I can get a very nice Fender blackface sort of tone and it's not at all volume dependent. I can get the same tone at conversational tones as I can at much louder tones. I have complete control, tremendous versatility (which is a waste on me since I only use one basic tone) and the whole rig is under 26 lbs.

User Info Menu

I am not sure I would use anywhere near all of that stuff. Interesting option though. Perhaps someone else trolling for information might see this and be swayed.

'Mike

User Info Menu

I had a Peavey Classic 30 once - good choice, should be able to get for a few hundred used. Downside is it's heavy.

I really like the Princeton Reverb but the price has scared me away. I just got a Super Champ XD which I am really loving. 15 watt tube amp, clean channel, and switchable channel w/ amp modelling. The clean channel works well for archtops, and I am starting to appreciate the Jazzmaster emulation quite a bit for a darker, less trebly sound. For $300 I think it's hard to beat.

User Info Menu

The price of the amp is not really a factor in the playing for me. I would play with a speaker in a pringles can if I thought it would give me the warm tone I am seeking.

At this point there is a PRRI that might be available and then a deluxe reverb of some kind, I think a blackface, at the local pawn shop for $575 or so.

Part of me leans towards the Deluxe Reverb. 22 watts vs 15 in the PRRI...Have to see. I may ALSO try a speaker change in the Roland...just not sure what to get to be honest. I am half way thinking of ordering one of the other amps and seeing what it has to say to me...

'Mike

User Info Menu

Jazzman, I would just get a DRRI over a PR if you're going to play jazz since you have more head room and I've seen DRRI's as low as $550. But, ...one more new idea, if you don't need to play too loud, a Vox will stay clean & warm, and sound like heaven when you get the volume set just right. AC15's are dirt cheap used.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I doubt a Mustang will get you a DRRI tone but I might be wrong.
    It's just my opinion of course, but I really dig the Mustang II, sounds great clean especially on the DRRI or the Twin setting when you mess around with the Bias/Sag controls. I get you're point though, Deluxe's set the bar very high.

User Info Menu

I like the idea of a Preinceton with a 12" speaker but I have NEVER modded any amp before and I am not sure how hard that would be.
    Is the Princeton something that you could gig with if you mic'd it or should I get the Deluxe reverb?

'Mike
    I gig with my Princeton Reverb RI a lot. I have a 12" Eminence Lil Texas speaker in it which makes it louder and is light weight. I just had to buy a 12" baffle for it to do so. I also have an old 5751 tube in the v1 spot. Both changes help headroom and volume. It has just the right amount of volume and headroom for me to gig. I don't play in loud gigs much though. Usually trios for jazz stuff. Also use it some in a 5 piece rock band too. If I do need louder I also have a silverface Bandmaster 2x10 combo I put together.

User Info Menu

I think the Deluxe reverb if it all checks out is the way to go right now. The price is right at under $600. Who knows I might be able to talk to guy down if I walk in with cash...
    When I bought my Cube 80XL I had both the Tech 21 and the Cube 80XL in my cart...I could not find anything demoing a jazz tone on the Tech 21 but had heard and read about the suitable jazz tones in the cube 80XL
    I am still trolling ebay to see what is available. I like the idea of the small package of the PR or the DR or amps of similar size. I feel like if the price of the DR is right the extra 5-7 watts should not make a big difference in playing at living room levels when needed.

'Mike

User Info Menu

I just stumbled on this
    Traynor Amps: All Tube Guitar Combos

Anyone have any experience with Traynor? The traynor YCV40WR seems like a fine fit. 6L6s and 12ax7s and spring reverb...

Just curious if anyone had any experience with them and their suitability for warm jazz tones.

'Mike

Here is the link to a review in premier guitar with some sound samples.
    Blackstar HT Club 40 Amp Review - Premier Guitar
    I tried de fender deluxe III also. That is very, very good, indeed. But on the negative side, the minimal volume for a decent sound is far to loud for home-using. De blackstar has a master volume pot and sounds terrific at lower volume. I think the blackstar is a bit smoother also. But you'll have to try it out before you decide. Anyway, the backstair seems to be a better amp than the Cube, but the Cube is still unbeatable for its value for money, althouth for the kind of music we play.
    I hope this is helpful.

User Info Menu

You need to stop using google, get out of the house and try some amps.