The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hello All! Last night my wife and I went and saw Tony Bennett at the Fox theater in Atlanta. What a great show!

The guitar player was Gray Sargent and he was good!

Anyone know what guitar he plays? I did not recognize it.

It's shown at 3:20 in this video:

Any ideas?

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Google 30 second search --> Yamaha AEX 1500

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Google 30 second search --> Yamaha AEX 1500
    Well, I saw that but the guitar he was playing last night had dual pickups and an ES-175 type tailpiece. The headstock looks the same so I think you are right about it being a Yamaha.

User Info Menu

>but the guitar he was playing last night had dual pickups

well than it also is not the guitar shown at 3:20 is it, because that is an AEX 2500 with a single floating pickup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    >but the guitar he was playing last night had dual pickups

well than it also is not the guitar shown at 3:20 is it, because that is an AEX 2500 with a single floating pickup

Thanks! I realize it now but that was the best video I could find og Gray. Thanks for helping out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen
    Hello All! Last night my wife and I went and saw Tony Bennett at the Fox theater in Atlanta. What a great show!

The guitar player was Gray Sargent and he was good!

Anyone know what guitar he plays? I did not recognize it.

It's shown at 3:20 in this video:

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Check out Tony Bennett's Birthday Party Concert from the London Paladium
    Gray plays a Godin Guitar in that Concert, some fantastic playing by all.

Best Regards

Tony

User Info Menu

Gray played a Godin Kingpin with 2 P90s last week on the Today Show. Google doesn't know everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norman931
    Gray played a Godin Kingpin with 2 P90s last week on the Today Show. Google doesn't know everything.
    He played a very rare Epiphone "Howard Roberts" model when he was with Ruby Braff.

Best Regards

Tony.

Last edited by Arny; 12-28-2011 at 05:01 PM.

User Info Menu

I used to go hear Gray at least once a week at Ryles in Inman square 'bout 30 years ago. He played with another guitarist who's name (less distinct) I can't recall. They were both great players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    I used to go hear Gray at least once a week at Ryles in Inman square 'bout 30 years ago. He played with another guitarist who's name (less distinct) I can't recall. They were both great players.
    Another great player was Howard Alden who also played for Ruby Braff, and sometimes Ruby had both guitar players at the same time, funny but they both also played the Epiphone "Howard Roberts" guitar, so maybe its
    Howard to whom you might be referring.

I am looking to purchase an Epiphone "Howard Roberts" myself but the new ones are now made in Korea, it is the Acoustic sound I want from this instrument, anyone here had experience with this guitar, or can anyone recommend an archtop that is acoustically punchy but also with a great action.

Did any member ever see Freddie Green's action, it was amazingly high, but I am told by Luther’s the Higher the Louder, but at 75 years I need a very easy action.

With my above statement in mind (Re Asian Guitar makers), I have a Chinese made Macceferri copy and I am so pleased with its sound, and every one who hears or plays it wants one themselves, its the Gitane "Lulo Reinhardt" model.
    When I consider its price and listen to all the other copies at the Django Festival at Samois-sur-Seine held each year, I am more than satisfied.

Best Regards

Tony

User Info Menu

Howard Alden is still a great player!

As far as the Epiphone Howard Roberts, it was essentially an L-4C with an oval hole instead of f-holes - carved top, laminated rims and back. Kind of a nod to the earlier all-carved 16" Gibson L-4, that had an oval sound hole until 1935. The subsequent Gibson Howard Roberts was an all-laminated guitar with more bling but nowhere near as nice IMO.

If you want to go for that kind of acoustic sound, try an
    - Eastman AR804LCE - oval hole, cutaway, pickup
    - Eastman AR804 - oval hole, no cutaway, no pickup - essentially a copy of the oval-hole Gibson L-4 - my favourite Eastman
    They have carved tops and backs
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-31-2011 at 02:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Howard Alden is still a great player!

As far as the Epiphone Howard Roberts, it was essentially an L-4C with an oval hole instead of f-holes - carved top, laminated rims and back. Kind of a nod to the earlier all-carved 16" Gibson L-4, that had an oval sound hole until 1935. The subsequent Gibson Howard Roberts was an all-laminated guitar with more bling but nowhere near as nice IMO.

If you want to go for that kind of acoustic sound, try an
    - Eastman AR804LCE - oval hole, cutaway, pickup
    - Eastman AR804 - oval hole, no cutaway, no pickup - essentially a copy of the oval-hole Gibson L-4 - my favourite Eastman
    They have carved tops and backs

Dear Hammertone,
    I have been looking very closely at a 1915 Gibson L4, but I'm concerned about the Neck it sounds cheap at $1650 but requires at least another $1,000 spent on it.

Funny that it seems you are part of Hofner, I'm 75 years and my Mother & her brothers gave me a 1927 Arch Kalamzoo in 1954 which I stll own today, but again find the finger board a little to large (In Depth) width is fine.

In 1956 I purchased a Hofner President, I thought the Committee to be a little ostentatious, because you could not buy American Guitars in Britain then I also purchased a German Rogers Guitar, which I also loved its acoustic quality.

When American Guitars were finally released I purchased a Gibson Switchmaster, which is still with me today but due to its excess hardware does not sound as good as any of my earlier Archtops.

So the L4 seemed to fit the bill, to give me a great acoustic rhythm guitar, as I can't reach financially for the awesome L5's.

You sound like a very experienced person in this field of Acoustic Archtops,
    so I hope you don't mind me asking you a couple more questions, but first check out this LINK which you may have come across before.

And this one to hear a nice Gibson L4 with the right neck size.

Do you feel either of the Eastmans you recommend will give the same or close results

I am most grateful to you for giving me some of your time and very professional advice.

Thank You

Best Regards

Tony
    PS Here is a LINK for the Sad but worth saving maybe L4 for sale
    GIBSON L-4 (1915) L4 - Elderly Instruments
    Last edited by Arny; 12-31-2011 at 03:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words.

The 804 is the closest to the old L-4, but the neck meets the body at the 14th fret as opposed to the 12th fret, which moves the bridge up the body a bit and further from the centre of the bottom bout of the guitar. And the tailpiece is actually a combination trapeze and pin arrangement, unlike later full trapeze tailpieces. I'm sure the cost of one of these new is well under $2,000, and a used one should be less.

Can't say much about sound other than that a nearly 100 year-old arch top should have a more developed sound than a relatively new arch top of similar design. It's all good.

I'll open another thread for further discussion of European arch top guitars out of respect for Gray Sargent.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-03-2012 at 12:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I saw Gray on TV with Tony Bennett last nigt and he was playing the Godin.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words.

I'll open another thread for further discussion of European arch top guitars out of respect for Gray Sargent.
    Dear Hammertone,
    I visited your sight, and I do have a very rare Guitar which you may have already shown on your site, its called an "Ovation Thunderhead", its not a very good Jazz guitar but I sold my Telecaster when I found this baby, people ask me
    "Whats does it sound like"
    I reply
    "It sounds like the sound a Telecaster is trying to obtain".

Funny I tried to find an 804 for sale but then Googled "904" and ended up back here.
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...tml#post191483

What is your opinion on 804 vs 904, should you see either of these for sale please let me know as I don't thing Eastman make either anymore, going by their website.

Best Regards

Tony.

It's definitely a Yamaha in the video.

User Info Menu

I'm looking for either an Eastman 904 or can anyone advise if an
    Asian D'Angelico with a carved top will be as good or maybe even
    better.
    Which Asian D'Angelico's do have a carved top, some one is advertising
    D'Angelico NYL-2 CUSTOM as being a carved top is this possible, I understood that all the Asian D'Angelico's were laminated or pressed.

Best Regards

Tony.

User Info Menu

I’m late to the party here but it’s a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin ii.
    As far as amps are concerned I’ve seen pictures of him using Peavey Classic 60’s if I’m not mistaken.

User Info Menu

Gray used to play locally with guitarist Jon Wheatley...a very fine player who now teaches at Berklee.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whiskey02
    Jon Wheatley. I'll bet I sat next to you on more than one occasion. Jon was playing a Koontz and Gray was playing the Epi HR. Bob Savine on drums and Marshall Wood on bass. Right?

User Info Menu

Jon Wheatley

User Info Menu

Jon Wheatley?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Arny
    I'm looking for either an Eastman 904 or can anyone advise if an
    Asian D'Angelico with a carved top will be as good or maybe even
    better.
    Which Asian D'Angelico's do have a carved top, some one is advertising
    D'Angelico NYL-2 CUSTOM as being a carved top is this possible, I understood that all the Asian D'Angelico's were laminated or pressed.

Best Regards

Tony.
    Vestax D’Angelico NYL-2 Custom does have CNC- carved solid top. You can easily distinguish it from cheaper NYL model by rosewood pickguard and mop “custom” marker around 14th fret (don’t quite remember exact location). NYL-2 Custom bridges the gap between fully carved NYL-1 and NYL-2

User Info Menu

FWIW, I've always seen/heard him with low priced Epis or Godins, and sounding great. Even outside in the cold. Don't know how he deals with his fingers in the cold.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Even outside in the cold. Don't know how he deals with his fingers in the cold.
    A good contract brings out the best in a professional. ;_)