The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

For those of you who own Byrdlands, Gibson or Epiphone, what are your string brand and gauge choices ?>

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an Epiphone Byrdland. My string choice is Thomastik Benson Flatwound 12. I think it sounds incredible and quite a bit better than with Chromes.

User Info Menu

i use d'addario chromes flat wounds.

User Info Menu

had a 2002 natural gibby -i used 14's thomastik flats

the shorter scale length, i think, benefits by higher tension and gauge

i couldnt fal in love and sold it-now i somewhat regret it, as it was beautiful, but just a tad pricey to simply look at

User Info Menu

I like 14s on a 25 1/2" scale. The mind boggles at what gauge would deliver the same tension on a 23 1/2" scale.

Thanks for the replies...

I have been using 12's and the strings on the guitar are flat wounds but I do not recall what brand.

I have some Thomastik 12 Be Bop round wounds, Some D Addario Chrome 12's some D'Aquisto 12,s and 11's in round and flat...

Quite a few choices , I think I'll price some Bensons.. that may make my decision... or at least a deselection.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Don't overlook the Pyramid flats either. Very nice strings - on par with the TIs but somehow a little different (different metallurgy ?). I too have an Epi Byrdland and I *think* I have Pyramid flat 12's on it at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46

I have been using 12's and the strings on the guitar are flat wounds but I do not recall what brand.

I have some Thomastik 12 Be Bop round wounds, Some D Addario Chrome 12's some D'Aquisto 12,s and 11's in round and flat...

Quite a few choices , I think I'll price some Bensons.. that may make my decision... or at least a deselection.

Thanks

I'm going to place an order for some strings, none available locally. I'll see if there are Pyramids available and take a chance on a set.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Thanks
    If one considers the price and quality of a Byrdland and how obsessed guitar players are with their tone i do not think that trying to save money on strings will lead very far. Yes, Benso strings are expensive, maybe even unjustifiably expensive. Yet if they give you *that* tone they are worth it. It is all a matter of taste of course but at this level of guitar i would not take price considerations for strings into account.

The only Pyramids I found were too light, and the price is not that far off TI strings.

Locally, I found one set of Benson TI... $42.00 !!

I am going to order some D'Addario Chromes and some Bensons.
    I agree, the price of strings is inconsequential given the quality of the instrument and the relatively low expense for high quality strings..
    On line Bensons run in the low $20's. Fair enough..

For those of you who use the TI strings, I have heard they had a lower tension than comparable strings. I have 12's on the Byrdland currently.. should I stay with 12's or up the tension to 13's ?

Thanks
    Last edited by bohemian46; 11-26-2011 at 12:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, the tension is lower which is why the TI's feel so nice and smooth and soft to me. Very cozy playing feeling.

I'd personally go with the 12 sings. The neck on the Byrdland is already so narrow (at the end of the day a bit too narrow for me .... But it sounds so beautiful). For me heavier strings than 12 on this neck become uncomfortable.

User Info Menu

I use TI Benson flatwound 12's on my Gibby L5, and I love them. Yes, they have a bit softer feel, but the biggest thing I like besides their tone and feel is the smaller gauge low E string - perfect balance and no more "boomyness" playing chord melody bass runs.

I tried 13's and hate them - my hand starts to cramp after 15 minutes or so. But, the extra tension of the 13's might be just perfect for the shorter Byrdland scale...

FrankLearns:

The Byrdland has a 1 11/16ths nut.

Cooperro:

Just curious, what strings are you using on the Am Std Strat ? Rosewood board ?

User Info Menu

FrankLearns:

The Byrdland has a 1 11/16ths nut.

Cooperro:

Just curious, what strings are you using on the Am Std Strat ? Rosewood board ?
    Believe it or not, I'm using Elixir Nanoweb's, 10 - 46. I use them more for their longevity than their tone. Too many guitars to keep up with - so I try to go as long as possible before I change strings.

But, back when I was in a house band, I played Fender 3150 Original Bullets - pure nickel wound. Again, 10 - 46. I tried 9's (3150L), but they were just too flabby for me.

BTW, she's got a maple board and DiMarzio pups: Area 58, 67, and 61. I just couldn't take the buzz anymore. Now, beautiful tone and no buzz.

Bob :-)

User Info Menu

I use Benson 14s on my 335, and the 12s on the LP. I bought a Taylor solid body for Jazz funk, It came with round wounds 10s, far too light, so I put on some 11s,still not right, I wanted to stay with round wounds so looked on e.bay, found a guy selling Gibson L5s ( pure nickle ) I bought a set of 11-52.
    I think I've found the perfect string, I'm just amazed with the the feel and tone, they also do a 12-54, for those who like a heavier gauge, You can buy them here in the Uk. from strings Direct, they're not cheap but hey! what good strings are .L..

User Info Menu

D'Addario Chrome Flats...12s on mine.

I received and installed some D'A Chrome flat 12's today. I'll let them settle in overnight and see how they sound in the morning.

Bensons on the way.