The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60
    That's awesome and definitely gives me an idea what this amp's tone is capable of dialing into. Awesome video. Thanks again.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

@greco: its a worn brown epiphone dot studio that my wife bought me. I changed the hardware to nickel, added a pickguard, added a second tone and volume knobs, dropped in some SD alnico II pros, and here's the big one...I buffed the matte finish to a glossy shine! It truly was a labor of love but I had played a gorgeous original 1970's 335 in brown bit it was going for way more money than I had. So my wife bought me this as a 30th birthday gift and I made it my own!

Oh and the inlay are very thin perloid stickers! Cheezy I know bit they don't interfere and give it that look!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmendozajr
    @greco: its a worn brown epiphone dot studio that my wife bought me. I changed the hardware to nickel, added a pickguard, added a second tone and volume knobs, dropped in some SD alnico II pros, and here's the big one...I buffed the matte finish to a glossy shine! It truly was a labor of love but I had played a gorgeous original 1970's 335 in brown bit it was going for way more money than I had. So my wife bought me this as a 30th birthday gift and I made it my own!

Oh and the inlay are very thin perloid stickers! Cheezy I know bit they don't interfere and give it that look!
    I wondered why it looked sort of familiar, but not totally.
    Congratulations on all the mods you did to the guitar...it looks great !!

A very special gift from the most special person.....wonderful !

Many thanks for all of the info.

Cheers

Dave

Hmmm...okay guys and gals, I finally had a chance to crank the Roland up and with the master and normal volumes setat 3.5 on a scale of 10, I'm noticing some strange chassis rattle. I cant seem to locate the cause of the noise. Its only on certain notes. Is this common for this amp. I haven't even introduced any form of overdrive! I checked all the bolts and the speaker. I thought it was the spring Reverb but I took it out of the equation and it still exists! The entire purpose of the amp was for home and jam practice but if its make noises already...I'm a little concerned about cranking it any louder. Any thoughts...it appers to happen on some octaves of E and other random notes and before anyone suspects the guitar...I actually tried my stratocaster and got the same results! Thoughts?
    Last edited by rmendozajr; 11-22-2011 at 12:11 AM.

I have the exact same amp. I bought it used about a year ago. Mine is in almost mint condition though. Like it was never used outside the home type of condition. I love this amp. I play a telecaster through it for both jazz and blues. I even use the overdrive channel and that seems to add a little fatness to the tone. Add a little more overdrive and it gives a nice bluesy tone. I too love it's simplicity. Probably one of the best solid state amps ever made. As for the above mentioned chassis rattle I don't experience that ever and I use this amp in a 4 piece blues rock band at volume.
    Last edited by OldGuitarPlayer; 11-22-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Hi haven't posted much, but have lurked a lot.
    Just snagged a relatively clean one of these. Actually it is finished in a cream tolex not the usual orange.
    I'm finding it quite warm for ss. I'm not a tube snob although I have a couple of tube amps as well as my old jc120. I've been looking for one of these for a while so was happy to find this. It was misbehaving a bit until I took it apart and sprayed the pots. Nice amp!
    Does anyone know if/when they came out with the cream version or could this be a re-covered amp?
    Last edited by prairietelecaster; 05-15-2012 at 09:33 AM.

I have a roland blue/grey cube100b that I have for occassional bass playing. It too seems well built. I've only found one cream pic elsewhere.

User Info Menu

I think I've seen cream too...can't remember...

Hey, they were good enough for Ed Bickert for many years...

Good solid state amps are great for jazz.

User Info Menu

I have a cream Cube 40 which I bought around 1981-82. As far as I remember, at that time the cream color was available for all the versions of the cubes. That color along with the orange ones sold like hot cakes back then. My sample still works fine. In recent years, I have swapped the speaker for an Eminence Lil' Buddy (hemp cone) for a mellower and more "jazzy" tone.

User Info Menu

I a/b'd my old Silver Cube and my ZT Club yesterday - still prefer the Club, but the EQ on the Roland is a bit more versatile.

I got an orange Cube 60 in 1980 or '81. It has been a trouper for sure. About '87, my band opened up for War for a an outside gig in Chicago. They didn't feel like setting up their gear and asked if they could use our amps. I had a blackface twin I wouldn't let them use. But I let the harmonica player use my Cube 60. He was playing through it, setting the sound and it fell about 6 feet off the back of the thing it was on to the floor! We picked it up and nothing was wrong with it - and it sounded great. Still does.
    The moral is. . .don't ever let any of the guys from War borrow your amps.

I tried the Roland Cube 60 before, quite a good amp. Are the smaller versions any good? I'm being offered a Roland Cube 20, in cream. I think it has a 10" speaker. Should I go for it?

User Info Menu

I have a cream 60 and orange 40,good amps.

-Any links to a pdf of the manual anywhere? Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by prairietelecaster
    -Any links to a pdf of the manual anywhere? Thanks
    Those old Cube amps are pretty simple and self explanatory when you look at the knobs and connections. Check the rear side picture a few posts higher up here. They are from before Roland added COSM etc. They have a real spring reverb - which one will hear when moving it around while it's on. Without doubt my old Cube40 came with a manual, but I can't remember I ever read it. Just remember, the speaker must be 8ohms (in case you want to swap it). They don't have a voltage switch, so don't use a Cube for US voltage in Europe and vice versa.

Yeah, no problem with the simplicity, I'm just being curious about things relating to the amp and I cant find a link to a manual in cyberville.

User Info Menu

Hi.

I don't have the orange one, mine is grey Super Cube 60. I have this manual if it's helpful...

Tadej

User Info Menu

I just purchased an early '80's Cube 60 chorus that's grey. Is this any different than the orange?

User Info Menu

Roland Cube 40 & 60 white/Ivory and orange 78-83 are fantastic, reliable, the stock Roland Speaker
    with the (Alu Cap ) is fine what really gets these going is

40 W 10" Eminence Lil Buddy very warm.

60 W 12" Cannabis Rex also warm

on the Cube 60 12" fitting can be a problem so check new & old speaker mounting B.C.D

Celestion did make & supply speakers for Roland certain models i think 84 onwards used not sure i had
    a Roland Super Cube 60 12" with a Celestion G12M-70 8 ohm after this The std model with a cloth dustcap instead of aluminium continued in production as the Modern Lead 70 until the late 90’s

User Info Menu

I picked a Cube 60 chorus off Ebay recently. Initially I thought it might not be up to speed as it seemed underpowered until you plugged through the over drive channel. But maybe I was expecting too much from 60w ss. Lot of potential tone wise though with a spkr upgrade I imagine.
    I'm picking up an early 80's or late 70's Super Cube 60 tomorrow from craigslist. Made in USA (not Japan) I'll be able to compare the two. Both are grey/silver.

User Info Menu

I found one of these for sale locally and think it sounds quite good with my Telecaster. The serial number indicates that it was made in either January 1976 or May 1984. Apparently the 6 digit numbers wrapped! I thought these were manufactured in Japan but this one has a Made in USA plate on the back. Anyone a student of Roland factories? Does the USA badge indicate '76 or 1984?

User Info Menu

cube line was not around yet in 1976!..so it's gotta be an '84...don't know about the made in usa badge

cheers

User Info Menu

Roland has built equipment in the USA. I don't know if it was building amps back then in the USA. The orange cubes I have seen from the period said Made in Japan on the labels. This isn't definitive, though.

User Info Menu

Roland Cube 60 (Orange)-photogrid_1544907163992-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi everyone!

I just got my Cube last week but I’m a bit confused about the footswitch options. As far as I understand, there are two inputs at the back of the amp for switches, one for reverb and another for the over drive channel. What sort of footswitxh do you recommend to use it with? I fould the old Roland FS-2, I guess originally designed for the JC-120, whxih has two separate jack outputs, but all the other double footswitches I found on the internet have just one jack output. Any suggestsions? Thanks a lot!