The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 55
    Quote Originally Posted by nion

anybody know where I can try some Eastman guitars in London?

Here:

http://www.ivormairants.co.uk/store/home.php

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hofner Verithin (or T2, T4 or Nightingale...)?
    Original (true hollow body...) or Verythin Contemporary (centre block...)?
    There's one for sale in Penge, SE London...
    Twang Guitars Music Shop - South London - 0108 676 0926 - 1963 Hofner Verithin Semi Acoustic Guitar
    Hope this helps...

User Info Menu

hey thanks dad3353 and carlescountry.

!

User Info Menu

I love 335s and have owned and sold several in an attempt to distort reality. I just find them uncomfortable. In fact, I have one now. I love playing it for about 10-15 minutes and then my back just starts hurting and I can't get comfortable. I have realized that smaller and lighter is necessary for me.

User Info Menu

Nion-I had the same trouble but have never stood-always seatedThe 335 was always unconfortable and being a left leg amputee the ordinary "L" shaped chair made it worse and I was getting a bad aching lower back-so I bought a Kinsman guitar stool which allowed me to still sit higher therefore my legs are not in the "L" position but extended lower.Problem solved-I was glad as I like the 335. Just another point ov view.

User Info Menu

I thought about that, jazzuki, but it's not very convenient because I travel a lot and most gigs I play are in small places. I also can't bring much stuff with me to gigs so...I'm gonna try different guitars to see how I feel. I would love to try the Sadowsky semihollow or the ss15, but they are impossible to find!

User Info Menu

I play an Ibanez AS100 that I've had for 20 years and I love it. Monder I think plays an Ibanez AS75. Sco's guitar is or is based on the AS200. When I bought it I tried the 335 and the Lucille and neither fit me well enough to play gigs with. They're around for a good price I'd recommend trying one.

User Info Menu

Just for the record Monder stated it was tough to play his Ibanez I think - he just got used to it (an AS-50 I think). Kreisberg also mentions his 174 "is a bitch to play"... so it might be a matter of working hard!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Kreisberg also mentions his 174 "is a bitch to play"... so it might be a matter of working hard!
    Man, you sure wouldn't know it from watching him live. I've seen him twice now and he just owns that 175!

User Info Menu

You're right Jorge it's an AS50. I think the quote you reference is in GP, which is funny cos it's the only GP I own. Here's the whole quote;

"I bought it in 1983 because I liked the way it looked, and because I imagined it would produce a certain sound. When I actually got it, however, it didn’t sound anything like what I’d imagined. But I kept at it and eventually it started sounding the way I wanted. So I don’t know if there’s something going on where you kind of breathe your sound through a guitar and it starts to do what you want it to, but it is really easy to play and it has a nice jazz tone as well as being able to rock out. I can also bend the neck to change pitch, which is something I do fairly often."

So not hard to play but I agree with him on the sound. I tried flats, rounds,and was going to swap the pickups trying to get a certain sound. Then after 10 years with it I gave up and just played it and it turned out it was pretty nice all along I was used to a '51 175 and it sure doesn't sound like that. But I use it mostly on blues and rock gigs, it's great for that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Man, you sure wouldn't know it from watching him live. I've seen him twice now and he just owns that 175!
    True! The man just kills... But he said that - I think its even on his website! To me Kreisberg has the best technique because he can play really fast but has huge control over dynamics and his pick sound is strong and accurate but never ear-irritating... I really admire that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Carpal55
    You're right Jorge it's an AS50. I think the quote you reference is in GP, which is funny cos it's the only GP I own. Here's the whole quote;

"I bought it in 1983 because I liked the way it looked, and because I imagined it would produce a certain sound. When I actually got it, however, it didn’t sound anything like what I’d imagined. But I kept at it and eventually it started sounding the way I wanted. So I don’t know if there’s something going on where you kind of breathe your sound through a guitar and it starts to do what you want it to, but it is really easy to play and it has a nice jazz tone as well as being able to rock out. I can also bend the neck to change pitch, which is something I do fairly often."

So not hard to play but I agree with him on the sound. I tried flats, rounds,and was going to swap the pickups trying to get a certain sound. Then after 10 years with it I gave up and just played it and it turned out it was pretty nice all along I was used to a '51 175 and it sure doesn't sound like that. But I use it mostly on blues and rock gigs, it's great for that!
    Exactly! My memory was a little diffuse on that... But I think the same priciple applies - he clearly didn't like that guitar but forced himself to like it. I have an acoustic Ovation that I got because it was a very good deal and needed a good reliable guitar... It wasn't my favorite guitar back then - 200 gigs later I really like it!

I have the same feeling with my x-500 and my 335 clone. Although I like the 335 when I get the X-500 its a whole other story... But I must be able to play good with the 335 because I need it for some gigs and rehearsals - the X-500 is saved for special occasions!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seanlowe
    ... if you're content with the sound of a 335 but not 339 its probably psychosomatic - theyre the same guitar with different neck profiles afaik.
    The 339 (and 359) is a small bodied version of the 335. It was designed to address exactly what the OP is complaining about.

User Info Menu

shit, I need to try the 339 again...Spend some time with it, it might be it.

cheers lads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Yes. but he said that he has had to spend a lot of time learning to control/avoid feedback and know he knows where to stand, when to get off a note (think he said E to F in the middle of the fingerboard).....lot of time invested in that baby.

But, the truss rod cover is missing, there's a coin under the bridge....that guitar has some serious history to it!!

I have a '79 ES-335 dot neck. I changed the pickups from Gibson's "Dirty Fingers" pickups (what were they thinking?) to a Seymour Duncan '59 at the neck and JB at the bridge.

I do find that when I'm sitting down and practicing the upper horn seem to press directly into my chest. Not comfortable. I don't play standing up at all any more. But when I did I didn't find it uncomfortable.

I love mine, but it's uncomfortable in a completely different way for me than it is for you.

User Info Menu

The collings I 35 has a 15inch body, I think they are much better than Sadowsky(also nice guitars), there are 3 different models, I-35 deluxe, regular I 35 and the I 35lc(with laminated body instead of all solid woods)

User Info Menu

After playing it (the full-size 335 clone) exclusively for the past 10 days - and really enjoying it I might add - I've realized reluctantly that using the strap when playing seated makes it much more comfortable ... except of course that I really don't like to use a strap when playing seated!

And yes, Soco, when I win the lottery (I suppose one needs to buy a ticket now and then to do that though) a Collings Soco Deluxe and an 000-2HC are definitely in my plans!

User Info Menu

I find the Collings I-35 a little polite and civil for my taste. I like a little hair; the Collings comes across as a well-shaven well-coiffed gentleman (who minds his manners) in biker leather, and make that Lewis, not Schott.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nion
    shit, I need to try the 339 again...Spend some time with it, it might be it.
    cheers lads
    Check this link on the 339 from Gibson. Note the picture at the top of the article, with the 339 in between a Les Paul and a 335 (size comparison).

Gibson Custom Proudly Presents the ES-339

User Info Menu

The marketing folks at Gibson can be a little boned-headed at times. After they make a lot of hay about the 339/359 having a smaller body than the 335 to address the comfort issue for some people, nowhere on their website do they specify the dimensions of the body. BUT, they seem to go out of their way to tell us that they use Franklin Titebond 50 glue on the neck-body joint (as if anyone gives a crap about that useless tidbit).

User Info Menu

I have had the same experience. I am also 5'6" & a 335 just doesn't fit me. It is a drag because I love those guitars & have wanted one for years. I bought a CS-336 & it is a wonderful guitar, although it is different than either a 335 or 339.
    You might want to try a 339 once more. IMO they are the best Gibson value out there right now, & they sound great. They regularly sell for less than $1.5K. That's pretty good for a Gibson Custom guitar.

User Info Menu

Hey Dark Star, you think you can get contemporary jazz tones from the 339? I'm very happy with my sound on my 335, it's just the ergonomics that sucks.

User Info Menu

I would say it's up to you to get a "contemporary jazz tone" from any guitar. If the ergonomics fit you better then work on the sound you want. I don't see any reasons for a 339 not to give you a "modern sound" like the 335.

User Info Menu

Maybe put together a parts guitar with a USA Customer Guitars "Downsized T" body? ;-)

USACG - Downsized T

Ed S.