The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 95

User Info Menu

Time to get your Pat Martino on?

I thought it had a 25 1/2" scale. Oh well, not that interesting -- you think they could have put on some more interesting humbuckers...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

(*) Or get your Carlos on...

User Info Menu

Was there a demand for this? I mean this has GOT to be the answer to a question nobody asked...

User Info Menu

heh my friend has an l6 S that he stripped the paint off and hot rodded up a bit. Thin strings, low action, coil tapped...great rocker...

User Info Menu

Had one for about a year back in the 70's - never bonded with it.

User Info Menu

Having sold my Les Paul a couple of years ago due to its weight, I don't think the solid maple L6 is going to replace my 335.

User Info Menu

I have a student with one of these (an original).

He prefers (as do I) his $200 Ibanez Superstrat.

Just sayin.'

User Info Menu

I also had one back in the 70s . The only good thing about it were the pickups , designed by Bill Lawrence . Other than that , like Tom Karol said , " could never bond with it " . Cracks me up that you can buy an original on E-Bay for a fraction of what these new ones cost . I heard their over two grand . To each his own .

I had a friend who bought one in the 90s, I tried it. It wasn't nothing to write home about, he had it about a month. He had a hard time getting rid of it, he took a loss on it. Traded it for accoustic guitar I think.

User Info Menu

I had an L5-S back in the late '70s. Cherry sunburst. Really pretty. Heaviest d*mn guitar I ever owned. Didn't keep it long.

User Info Menu

I played an L6s for while in the late 70's. Worst case of neck dive ever!

User Info Menu

Just to add to the confusion, here's my Warmoth version of an L5S:

User Info Menu

I like maple fretboards. That's pretty much the end of the nice things I have to say about that guitar.

User Info Menu

Now.. if they had taken a les paul.. tobacco sunburst.. one HB in the neck.. es175 parallelogram inlay on the FB.. maybe they would have something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    Now.. if they had taken a les paul.. tobacco sunburst.. one HB in the neck.. es175 parallelogram inlay on the FB.. maybe they would have something.
    Nice idea! They've done a Les Paul version of the ES-295, so this doesn't seem too far fetched. Make it a single CC in the neck position and I'd be interested.

Maybe the L6S is not a coincidence at the moment: Those wood raids probably left them with a lot of maple to spare.

User Info Menu

Too funny. I also had an L6-S back around 1982. For about year.

My first electric. Didn't last. Sold it and bought a 1957 ES-225. Which I still have...

User Info Menu

So why is it that you guys don't like this guitar? My friend is into his, though he's much more of a hobbyist.

User Info Menu

It was my first solidbody. And I was staunch Gibson guy at the time. It had some really good sounds, but it just didn't feel right. I was never comfortable playing it. I thought I just wasn't a solidbody kind of guy. Then 20 years later, I got my second solidbody - an ash 'Tele' with a maple fingerboard (Hamer T-51). It's been my main axe for the past 20 years since then. Go figure!

User Info Menu

I thought it would be sorta halfway between a Strat and a Les Paul--in terms of both tones and weight.

I thought it would land right in the middle, best of both worlds.

Instead, it kinda fell right through the gap and kept going. Splat.

I remember it as just kind of cold and brittle and thin. None of the gravitas or ballsiness of a good Les Paul, and not much of the chimey twang and cut I love in a Strat or Tele.

I'd played only flat-top acoustics with ebony or rosewood fingerboards before I got the L6-S. I couldn't get comfortable with the maple neck. Too slippery, too hard for me, at least back then.
    Last edited by Flat; 11-05-2011 at 08:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Without the Bill Lawrence designed pickups, I doubt this guitar will sound like the original.

Neck dive aside, it had a great selection of tones, and fantastic sustain.

User Info Menu

I liked the one I played for metal...really fast neck, good tone through the right amp...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Had one for about a year back in the 70's - never bonded with it.

same here, had the black one with ebony fretboard..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Here are some of the earlier, original, versions, with a L-5 (ish?) neck and tailpiece.

i dig those especially that natural! i wish they would remake 'em, this time chambered, so not so heavy.

User Info Menu

I need some help finding an expert.

I have been using my nephew’s solid body for the last several months because it was collecting dust on the floor of my in-law’s (his grandparents) home, unprotected and gathering dust. It is rough but the first time I picked it up it felt “right” and very instinctive. It had an unusually wide lower bout and the contours were like nothing I’ve ever seen from Gibson. So I suspected it was a fake from the beginning, and a guy who has quite a collection said he’s never seen anything like it before from Gibson, so I ended up peeling off the vinyl logo (already peeling off, and another HUGE reason I have had doubts) and taking it home, with his permission.

So the other day I was reading an article and I saw THIS GUITAR, except the photo had a stoptail and rotary switch. It was a Bill Lawrence designed Gibson L6-S. But a little digging helped me see there are three different models, including the Deluxe with the same string-through body plate on this. A little reading and this guitar was designed to have a wide tonal range, and used custom pickups, also designed by Bill Lawrence.

Bill Lawrence Website

1976 Gibson L-6S Deluxe

It has a “MADE IN U.S.A.” stamp on the back of the headstock, and the volute is correct. The serial number is 656895, it it is somewhat faint.

Obviously the pickups, bridge, and from the photos I’ve seen the tuners are all changed out. So either someone got an Ibanez copy and did a horrible job at modding it, or they a total idiot and ruined a very unique instrument to get close to a Les Paul clone. I am still wanting to buy it off my nephew and fix it up, or restore it for him if he won’t sell it (he’s undecided), but I don’t know if it’s authentic or not. And if not, how do I tell an Ibanez from some other manufacturer?

FULL ALBUM: Real or Fake Gibson L6-S Deluxe? - Album on Imgur
    Attached Images Attached Images The Gibson L6-S-dc8e0efc-60d7-4c60-92ae-d69731ea0350-jpg The Gibson L6-S-86d1f9dc-c4c2-4de5-9919-e7320e67a13d-jpg 
    Last edited by zcostilla; 05-19-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Include pictures and not just link to album

User Info Menu

Looks like an L6S