Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

It seems I'm capped at one pic. Hmmm.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    If you want more boom, you need a bigger box.
    Sounds like a Spinal Tap lyric. I think I saw a Super 400 in Nigel Tufnel's collection.

The 90/10 phenomenon is probably true. Although I think the percentages are perhaps a bit more even than that. Not so much the cutaway, but definitely the floating vs. mounted pickup is usually a really big difference, both for acoustic and electric sound.

I agree about strings and - picks, absolutely. Very very major difference in sound and feel with different picks. Part of my ritual for a new guitar is assessing how my usual strings and picks work on it, and tweaking accordingly.

User Info Menu

I've always been able to appreciate tonal qualities of arch top guitars. But, true assessment of tone, while easy to accurately define as great, or terrible . . is more difficult to assess when it's somewhere in the middle. Way too subjective. I try to focus first and foremost on the music being created from a given guitar . . . than on a quest for finite tonal refinement. And, I do understand that to a certain extent, the tone might be considered part of the music being created. If I have an arch top and it's tone is being adversly affected by a poor set up or a structural defect, then I will correct that. Otherwise, I tend to just accept the tonal characteristics of that particular guitar as part of its uniqueness and personality.