The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 59

User Info Menu

Im thinking of spending some money on a Jazz Box.

Im playing a 339 at the moment and its size is causing bad posture for me at practice.

Ive found an 80s epiphone Emperor 2 which really spoke to me and Im wondering if there are any downsides to the full width box.

Thanks,

Luke

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

potential for feedback in higher volume settings?

User Info Menu

Feedback and less versatility for other styles compared with a 339. But i much prefer archtops to 335 type guitars, if you liked it go for it. The feedback issue has several solutions you can find using the search function. The versality one is also easy to solve: keep the 339

User Info Menu

Full-width archtops usually have less sustain. Intonation won't be as good with archtops that don't have compensated bridges (you can buy an aftermarket compensated bridge to fix this).

I've found some bigger archtops can cause pain in my right (picking) shoulder I think because of the increased angle my arm has to be at.

However, none of these issues keeps me from playing my archtop.

User Info Menu

That you'll buy more and more

User Info Menu

A jazz box is pretty much a one trick pony. A magic pony.

User Info Menu

The size of the big ones can be a nuisance for finding a comfortable playing position.

User Info Menu

The downsides of a jazz box are known as the rims.

Thickness of these downsides, or "rims" will vary from as much as four inches to as little as 2 inches -- but most will be no less than approximately 2.5 inches and no thicker than 3.5 inches.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cjm
    The downsides of a jazz box are known as the rims.

Thickness of these downsides, or "rims" will vary from as much as four inches to as little as 2 inches -- but most will be no less than approximately 2.5 inches and no thicker than 3.5 inches.
    Stop slapping my knees.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukaas
    Im thinking of spending some money on a Jazz Box.

Im playing a 339 at the moment and its size is causing bad posture for me at practice.

Ive found an 80s epiphone Emperor 2 which really spoke to me and Im wondering if there are any downsides to the full width box.

Thanks,

Luke
    You wont get as many honeys...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JakeAcci
    Stop slapping my knees.
    I guess that means I shouldn't mention the upside, bottom side and pointy end?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SamBooka
    You wont get as many honeys...
    That's okay. I already wear thick-lensed glasses.

User Info Menu

You'll find yourself playing only JAZZ, and nothing else. That cannot be a good thing, can it? :P

User Info Menu

But in all seriousness, and to respond to the OP's question...there is no answer to this question.

It is all subjective, all relative and entirely a matter of personal taste and preference.

A propensity toward amplifier feedback isn't a downside unless you want to play too loudly for the particular combination of guitar and amplifier you have...and plywood archtops with set in pickups are remarkably resistant to feedback anyway.

The size of an archtop isn't a downside if it fits your physique.

The cost of an archtop isn't a downside if you can afford it, or if you select from the array of mass produced, utilitarian, and VERY budget priced archtops on today's market.

The supposed lack of versatility of an archtop relative to other designs isn't a downside if you intend to play what many would refer to as "straight ahead jazz."

The claimed fragility of an archtop isn't a downside if you don't gig in biker bars, or commute to gigs over rough trails with the guitar in a travois behind a green broke horse.

A better question, and one that gets more to the heart of the matter, would be, "What are the upsides of an archtop?"

User Info Menu

Cjm I'd be interested to know if you have any opinions about archtop vs. solid body...you usually seem to hold back your true feelings on the issue.

::emoticon::

User Info Menu

Cjm I'd be interested to know if you have any opinions about archtop vs. solid body...you usually seem to hold back your true feelings on the issue.

::emoticon::
    I refrain from posting my opinions on any topic.

But seriously, what difference is it what my opinion is?

However, since you asked, I'll answer:

I like slabs. I simply like hollowbody archtop electrics more than I like slabs for a variety of reasons.

User Info Menu

Well, there you go. Jazz guitar choices reduced to caveman terms:

Slab good. Box better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Well, there you go. Jazz guitar choices reduced to caveman terms:

Slab good. Box better.
    If I ever buy another guitar, I'm leaning toward the Neanderthal New Yorker with the bison bone pickup and hand knapped flint inlays.

User Info Menu

I refrain from posting my opinions on any topic.

But seriously, what difference is it what my opinion is?

However, since you asked, I'll answer:

I like slabs. I simply like hollowbody archtop electrics more than I like slabs for a variety of reasons.
    The issue is that my computer monitor is facing the wall where I hang all of my guitars. The Les Paul is fairly stoic, but sometimes I see my Strat peering over my shoulder and reading your posts, and I swear it shed a tear once and the neck bowed a bit. I had to play it for a week to get it feeling better.

User Info Menu

The issue is that my computer monitor is facing the wall where I hang all of my guitars. The Les Paul is fairly stoic, but sometimes I see my Strat peering over my shoulder and reading your posts, and I swear it shed a tear once and the neck bowed a bit. I had to play it for a week to get it feeling better.
    Your Strat responds to my posts as a music lover responds to my performance.

Of course, a Strat cannot vomit, and a Strat will never throw vegetables at a bandstand.

User Info Menu

Of course, a Strat cannot vomit, and a Strat will never throw vegetables at a bandstand.
    With some of the stuff it sees on this forum, it has come close.

User Info Menu

my 2 cents

while many never re-sell-
    some do-
    and no one wants their hard earned money wasted
    the first point is buying at market or less -so your guitar retains its value, even with use and good care

large production gutiars, such as ibanez-as an example only, are great insturments, but if a dealer can buy them and make a margin even at a low price, that instrumnet may well be harder to re-sell or keep its value-

there are, obviously many considerations, and some exceptions, too, to this generalizations, such as woods, changes in a model making earlier ones more desirable , etc,

re-sale for many-especially boutique and anything other than iconic or collector type instruments can be difficult-

my comment is not all emcompassing
    but simply-there are far more guitar players who want a strat or les paul than and ES 350

my point is that while few instruments are investments -there are many that tend to hold value due to inflation and increasing retail prices

i suggest that you buy an instrument especially a jazz guitar with that understanding

imho, regardless of merit or relative quality, a Gibson -or other big time name maker- is far more likely to hold its value, simply due to name and familiarty to non-jazz buyers-

ie what does a rock-or a non-jazz guitarist decide to buy when he wants a jazz box....

to me that is the downside

i am neither a collector nor an investor-i am a player and dont sell any of my stuff-but i do know, more or less, the market because im always interested -

'main stream' guitars -ie big name makers and popular models seem to hold value-you know, teles, strats lesters, gretsches, ricky, older Epis etc-

es 175, L5 etc also seem to continue to command high re-sale

so look into this aspect

otoh theres no substitute for a great axe and its simply another consideration

for example-
    as i have seen
    an L5 by Gibson is goiung to re-sell more easily and for a lot more than a superior L5 made by jim triggs, or some other maker-(excluding for example bennedetto, or other 'legends' or collectable makers)

im not saying its black and white-im saying its a downside consideration

i have a couple of mid boutique gutiars -amazing insturments that i have bonded with -and im certain i wont recover my costs, even having bought one used, but thats OK

i only post so that you can consider this downside
    its relevant if you plan on trading up, or know you will sell at some time etc
    Last edited by stevedenver; 10-17-2011 at 02:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Buy yourself a neck-up guitar support and it will take care of all of your posture issues. Here is the website link:HAMRE MUSIC NECKUP Neck Up Guitar Support Strap Rest Accessory Strings CD

User Info Menu

Compared to your 339, the downside of a true archtop is less versatility, a much larger body, more feedback problems, less sustain, more fragility/less stability.

The upside is a more traditional jazz tone.

Some people love archtops, others don't. One thing is certain though: it's a very different instrument than you are currently playing. My suggestion is to go try a bunch of them before you plunk your money on the table and be sure to try them at real work volume levels. It shouldn't be to hard to figure out for yourself if this is the direction you want to go.

Thanksfor all the feedback fellas. Some intersting stuuf that I kinda knew but you nicely summed it up for me.

John Link... Thanks! This may be just what Ive been desperate for....

As far as the comedians on this thread, you all keep your day jobs now....