The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 59 of 59

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Retroman1969

I just put up the crazy rock vids to counter some suggestions in this thread to the contrary.
    Well, you could have warned us by saying something like "This video contains sexual content not suitable for all viewers."

Which brings up another question, though: What is the proper way to wash an archtop guitar?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

LOL!
    My bad!

User Info Menu

I long ago gave up on versatility. I discovered that a "versatile" instrument didn't have enough personality to inspire me to play it. The best example I have experienced was when I played in a dance hall band on bass. We did a wide variety of material, including Motown, country, classic rock and the occasional Santana or jazz standard. I got a G&L Tribute L2000 and soon learned to get a pseudo-Jazz Bass sound, a pseudo-Precision sound, a pseudo-Stingray sound and I was pseudo-happy with it.

But one day I brought a Fender Precision to rehearsal. Two bars into the first song, and the guys in the band all turned around and said, "THAT'S IT!" Later I traded the G&L for a fretless Jazz, which I took to the next gig. The band sent me home to get the P!

"Versatility" caters to our ability to mimic, not to our artistic self-expression, if that's not too lofty a term for what we do.

So now my Les Paul is gone, my SG w/Bigsby is gone, and only the 335 remains. It feels good, sounds good, and looks good. I can walk into GC to buy a set of strings, get them and walk out again without looking at another instrument.

My teacher told me the answer is to practice more....

hmmm.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukaas
    My teacher told me the answer is to practice more....

hmmm.....
    How will that help you if the size of the 339 is causing you discomfort? Maybe you are talking about your yoga teacher?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    I long ago gave up on versatility.
    Me too. For example, I have different instruments for acoustic and for amplifed playing - with different set ups. As for the acoustic archtops, I have two set up for 4-to-the-bar rhythm playing and one set up for more soloistic playing.

If I absolutely had to choose the most versatile guitar I could think of, it would be a Strat with a blocked tremolo and 11-50 roundwound nickel/steel strings.

User Info Menu

I agree with the others. The downside of the big jazz box is early feedback. Not a problem at moderate volumes to the side of the amp. The ES-339 never did it for me as it seems out of proportion (too acclamated to the ES-335 shape I guess). How about something like the Gibson ES-337 with the center post down the middle to reduce feedback?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Funster
    I agree with the others. The downside of the big jazz box is early feedback. Not a problem at moderate volumes to the side of the amp. The ES-339 never did it for me as it seems out of proportion (too acclamated to the ES-335 shape I guess). How about something like the Gibson ES-337 with the center post down the middle to reduce feedback?
    How about not playing so loud, and letting the club patrons choose? Those who come to hear jazz will select tables near the bandstand. Those who are there for the "ambiance," but not really the music except as a privacy screen for personal conversation, can find seating a bit further away.

Then you don't need a guitar with a center block.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    A jazz box is pretty much a one trick pony. A magic pony.
    My personal favorite. Nice, gumbo!