The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

I've spent 40 years looking for the answer. The answer is, there is no answer. Music and life are too complicated. A full box jazzbo is too big: I'm used to the form factor of a 335. Solid bodies are too small (and, I'm talking about my Les Paul Deluxe and my Strat and my SG with a Bigsby -- not junk). Big box guitars feed back at low volumes and are picky about what amps they like.

So my question is, "why a big Jazz Box?" There are so many alternative that may be what you want, after all. The look is iconic, but I tailor my music to suit its own needs, not cosmetic issues. I loved the big jazz box I had, if looks were the only criterion, but I have to say, when push comes to shove, I go back to my 335 through a good Fender amp.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

LP deluxe Thankyou!!!

Exactly the sort of thoughts i was looking for.

Im primarily hoping a box will be more comfortable for me to play, that the width and size will help me to have better posture(not slouched over )

from the short time ive had playing one this appears to be the case. I will have to spend more time to make sure of this.

As far as the rest of what comes with a jazzbo,I dont know what i dont know, if you will.

So how bad are the feedback issues?

How do the many jazz players who perform with jazzbos do so without sound dramas?

FYI I am a beginner but getting lessons from a teacher weekly, practicing two hours a day atm.

User Info Menu

.... my point is that while few instruments are investments -there are many that tend to hold value due to inflation and increasing retail prices

i suggest that you buy an instrument especially a jazz guitar with that understanding
    For my part, I have NEVER bought a guitar as an invenstment object an have not considered the resale value a lot. I have bought guitars I liked to play.

I believe it's with guitars as it is with art. You should buy it if you like it yourself. If you don't like it (apart from liking the famous brand name), forget it. BUT - if you have good taste, you may well buy something at a good price now, which will eventually turn out to be a good investment.

I bought a 1961 Gibson ES175 in 1973. It was considered a good guitar, but the prevailing taste was not for jazz boxes back then, so there were actually quite a few of them out there that people wanted to sell to get a Les Paul, and the prices of the used 175s reflected that. I still have that 175 and today I could sell it for at least 10 times what I payed for it in 1973. However, I didn't at all have resale value in mind when I bought it.

I bought a Benedetto Fratello from Bob Benedetto in 1996. I believe I could get for it what I payed him, but not more, as it was already expensive to begin with.

I assembled an ideosyncratic Warmoth partscaster a few years ago, which I love to play (more than the 175 to be frank). But if I should want to part with it, I figure I would have to pay someone to take it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukaas
    Again, it's a matter of whether or not you try to play too loud for the particular combination of guitar and amp you have,

So, what's too loud?

Well, there are always exceptions to any general statement, but for the most part, players who work in small combos do just fine by playing plywood.

And that's one of the reasons why the Gibson ES-175 quickly became one of two guitars that are often referred to as a "de facto standard jazz guitar." You can play at a volume appropriate to working with a couple of horn players or a piano...a drummer who uses a jazz kit instead of a monstrous rock set up...and you're not likely to have feedback problems.

The other, of course, is the Gibson L5CES. With a thicker carved top than the acoustic version, and with one or two set in pickups, it is not the most feedback prone electric archtop by any means, but it is a fact that many players do struggle with its feedback.

But what's jazz? You want to play bebop in a combo, or do you envision yourself playing chord solos in an intimate supper club? That makes a difference as to what constitutes "loud," and that makes a difference as to what constitutes a "feedback issue."

How do the many jazz players who perform with jazzbos do so without sound dramas?
    Plywood and set in pickup(s). That is not the ONLY possible solution/answer, but it is the most commonly applied solution...and has been for the past 60 years.

But who knows? This could be one of those damned tongue in cheek answers you don't like so much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cjm
    Plywood and set in pickup(s). That is not the ONLY possible solution/answer.....
    No, there are other solutions. I remember a story Bob Benedetto told in the Just Jazz Guitar magazine more than 10 years ago. At that time Jack Wilkins was a Bendetto endorser. He played a Bendetto Fratello with a set pickup, but he had feedback problems. He and Bob had tried almost everything to no avail. Then at another visit to Bobs Stroudsberg shop, they finally decided to throw in the towell - literally. Bob went upstairs to the Benedetto familys bathroom and picked a large towell which they managed to sqeeze in little by little through one of the F holes. That did the trick. The story said nothing about the effect on the acoustic properties of the instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    No, there are other solutions. I remember a story Bob Benedetto told in the Just Jazz Guitar magazine more than 10 years ago. At that time Jack Wilkins was a Bendetto endorser. He played a Bendetto Fratello with a set pickup, but he had feedback problems. He and Bob had tried almost everything to no avail. Then at another visit to Bobs Stroudsberg shop, they finally decided to throw in the towell - literally. Bob went upstairs to the Benedetto familys bathroom and picked a large towell which they managed to sqeeze in little by little through one of the F holes. That did the trick. The story said nothing about the effect on the acoustic properties of the instrument.
    Well, yeah, that's why I said plywood is not the only possible solution.

Bob Benedetto's solution was hardly innovative by that time...Guys who insisted on playing Super 400s had been stuffing them full of foam rubber through the f holes since before dirt was invented and the first primitive vertebrates crawled out of the sea...

User Info Menu

...Guys who insisted on playing Super 400s had been stuffing them full of foam rubber through the f holes since before dirt was invented and the first primitive vertebrates crawled out of the sea...
    Oh, I had the idea that the Super400 was introduced as late as 1934, but that may be my memory playing tricks on me ...

BTW, covering the F-holes with tape or plugs is yet another solution.

User Info Menu

Oh, I had the idea that the Super400 was introduced as late as 1934, but that may be my memory playing tricks on me ...
    Don't feel bad...most people don't know that foam filled Super 400s with DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickups are well represented in the fossil record going back many hundreds of millions of years...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukaas
    Im primarily hoping a box will be more comfortable for me to play, that the width and size will help me to have better posture(not slouched over )

from the short time ive had playing one this appears to be the case. I will have to spend more time to make sure of this.

As far as the rest of what comes with a jazzbo,I dont know what i dont know, if you will.

FYI I am a beginner but getting lessons from a teacher weekly, practicing two hours a day atm.
    I love playing a jazz box! I owned a 339 and sold it as I could not get used to the tiny body size. Just felt awkward to me. It was a great sounding guitar though!

The feedback issue is over hyped imo. Yes it can happen but it's easily remedied by adjusting your angle or position on stage or in a rehearsal room in most cases.

Go on youtube and you can watch hundreds of videos of guys out there in all kinds of settings playing archtop guitars with no problems. How can they do this if there is supposedly constant howling feedback from archtops from the moment you plug them in?!

Here's a vid I shot of Kenny Burrell playing his Super 400:

You tell me how an 80 year man can stand 2 feet in front of a Fender Twin all night without a peep of feedback with all of these supposedly out of control feedback problems that archtops cause?

I saw Sonny Rollins a few weeks ago and Peter Bernstein was camped out in front of his Fender Super Reverb all night with his jazz box. Guess what? No feedback!

If you listen to Wes and think man, I wish his guitar would sustain more, than a jazz box is not for you. If however you think to yourself, 'Damn that sounds good!' than pick up a good jazz box as you will never get that kind of tone out of a thinline hollow or semi hollow.

In the end it is all subjective and you need to find the right guitar for you. Good luck and happy hunting!
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 10-18-2011 at 01:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Here is a great video of Johnnie Bassett playing his Heritage Golden Eagle (a solid spruce top 17" archtop). For most of the video he is standing a foot away from his amp facing the amp directly. What's that I don't hear? Feedback!

Anyway, you get the point. Yes it can happen. No it's not going to be a constant problem that will make playing an archtop a horrific, ear shredding experience.
    Last edited by Jazzpunk; 10-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.

User Info Menu

I've always had feedback problems, even with the heavily braced plywood Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. Maybe I just turn it up too much.

Personally I find the big body archtop uncomfortable, and that factor, more than the feedback, decided me to trade off my jazzbo. I guess I spent too long (25 years) playing the Country Gent. My 335 is the best guitar for me, but it's not for everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    I've always had feedback problems, even with the heavily braced plywood Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman. Maybe I just turn it up too much.

Must be. What style of jazz do you play and what venues are you guys playing?

Nice 335 by the way!

User Info Menu

We gig with rock and play "jazz" for fun. It's almost exclusively standards like Georgia on my Mind and Fly me to the Moon. I mostly play bass these days, a victim of arthritis coupled with an oversupply of guitarists (unspoken qualification: 'better than me'). This year I have acquired a lady companion who, although only a few years younger than me (and dirt, of course) has taken up percussion seriously enough to sit in with the local jazz group that plays Friday evenings on the patio at the local hotel. Thanks for the compliments on the guitars -- the 335 is my idea of a beautiful instrument, more so than the Gretsch as it doesn't rely on bling but just on graceful lines and nice wood.

User Info Menu

What a spectacular 335 !!

This is the guitar of my dreams....especially with the natural finish.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

We gig with rock and play "jazz" for fun. It's almost exclusively standards like Georgia on my Mind and Fly me to the Moon. I mostly play bass these days, a victim of arthritis coupled with an oversupply of guitarists (unspoken qualification: 'better than me'). This year I have acquired a lady companion who, although only a few years younger than me (and dirt, of course) has taken up percussion seriously enough to sit in with the local jazz group that plays Friday evenings on the patio at the local hotel. Thanks for the compliments on the guitars -- the 335 is my idea of a beautiful instrument, more so than the Gretsch as it doesn't rely on bling but just on graceful lines and nice wood.
    Congrats on finding a lady who shares your love of music. That's always a plus!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    What a spectacular 335 !!

This is the guitar of my dreams....especially with the natural finish.

Cheers

Dave
    Thanks. I found it on craigslist a couple of years ago for $1750. Having recently sold the Gretsch for $3K, I felt like I could afford it. It plays and sounds as nice as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    Congrats on finding a lady who shares your love of music. That's always a plus!
    It's been a real experience for both of us. She played tambourine when a friend came to visit and prepare for a garden party gig in April, so I signed her up for lessons with a local guy who used to be a first-call Nashville studio drummer. He leads the local hot trio, and she sits in with them when they are playing. It has been a revelation, since I'd never indulged in percussion goodies before: I traded a bass amp for a pair of good congas, and helped her buy a matching set of bongos, and gotten her a cowbell, afuche cabasa, Rhythm Tech tambourine, a guiro, and most recently a washboard (we're veering into Jambalaya territory with our group). She has a killer sense of what to play.

User Info Menu

Don't feel bad...most people don't know that foam filled Super 400s with DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickups are well represented in the fossil record going back many hundreds of millions of years...
    Hmm. That fuels new and surrealistic thoughts. Since there were no vertebrates on dry land back then, those millions years old Super400s must have been made underwater by sea animals - early primitive sharks with an appropriate set of teeth perhaps? That could be an idea for cost reducing production methods for the guitar industry. Put some raw slabs of ebony, spruce and maple togethere with some hardware into a pool with those creatures, feed them well, and a week later you can pick up finished guitars that only needs to be hung up to dry. But maybe the woodchewing shark species is extinct by now?

User Info Menu

...But maybe the woodchewing shark species is extinct by now?
    Megaluthier.

User Info Menu

At one time I would have cited "Less Versatility" as a downside of the full hollowbody archtops, but this crazy kid is changing my stance on that.

User Info Menu

The biggest downside for me is where I start playing my Heritage Golden Eagle at 9:00 PM. After I think I've only been playing for an hour or so, I look at the clock & its 1:30 AM. Then realize the alarm to get up for work is going to go off at 5:00 AM. Makes for a rough next day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Retroman1969
    At one time I would have cited "Less Versatility" as a downside of the full hollowbody archtops, but this crazy kid is changing my stance on that.

Oh dear! Are we seeing a severe case of ADHD in those clips?

Of course they have strung the guitars with a plain G string despite the wooden bridge is compensating for a wound G .....

Apart from that, a 175D is in fact pretty versatile, though I would choose other guitars for that kind of music. I could be tempted to buy any of the two guitars myself, provided the frantic guy wasn't a part of the package.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Retroman1969

Well. That was somewhat disturbing, wasn't it?

I've never really bought into the versatility argument...as in "The Gibfender ES-Telepaul is the more versatile guitar because you can use it for both jazz and rock."

Maybe that one model of guitar...but not that one guitar. I've heard lots of good jazz tones from Telecasters and ES-335 type guitars for example -- but not when they were set up to the satisfaction of any rock or blues players that I know personally...they might sound okay if the guy is a great player, but to my ears the "jazz sound" suffered from the rock setup.

I don't know anyone personally who tried (or tries) to play rock or blues on a guitar that is set up the way I would want it for jazz -- and I freely admit I don't know what is needed for rock or blues because I'm not interested in rock or blues -- but I must assume the requirements are different than for a jazz guitar, because the set up I've encountered is never anything even remotely like I'd expect of a jazz guitar.

So if you're going to play both jazz and rock, and you select a guitar on the basis of versatility, you are forced to buy two of them anyway, or plan on sounding like crap in one or the other or both genres.

And that being the case, there is no particular reason to avoid a type of guitar on the basis of its supposed lack of versatility.

(ON EDIT: I see that Oldane beat me to it, to say what needed to be said.)

User Info Menu

Yes one of the problems of wanting a versatile guitar is the setup... if you can do okay jazz with 011 rounds then you might have a versatile guitar.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=cjm;177139]
    there is no particular reason to avoid a type of guitar on the basis of its supposed lack of versatility.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was my main point. I didn't say you wouldn't have to tweak it. And I didn't say that if I was looking for a rock guitar this would be my first choice.
    People keep talking about the incredible versatility of the Telecaster, but you have the same issues with proper setup. Therefore, the idea that one is more or less versatile than the other is arguable at best.

I just put up the crazy rock vids to counter some suggestions in this thread to the contrary.