The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

I have used DR Zebra strings which are wound with both steel and phosphor bronze. They worked well with a Guild Artist Award that had a floating pickup as well as a Fishman piezo bridge. Two outputs, both of which sounded great when combined and EQ'd.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DRSZAE11

Bob
    Last edited by uburoibob; 10-08-2011 at 06:17 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thank you Spiral. Nice of you to comment. The DeArmond kind of blends notes together. It's very easy to play because it makes everything smooth. But it's not articulate enough for my taste as a general purpose pickup. I agree that for fingerstyle and leads it does sound good, no doubt. And my point was to show that it's balanced for bronze strings - there are no adjustable polepieces, so that's the sound "out of the box."

On another guitar I have the famous Kent Armstrong 12 pole floating "PAF." It's nice, and gives a little more air to the sound, but still at the end of the day, none of these magnetic pickups really gives the acoustic tone of a fine archtop its due. But on the other hand, I have no problem with bronze strings. The tone is robust and the adjustable poles allow for good balance to be achieved.

User Info Menu

RPGuitar: beautiful guitars and impressive playing. GHS strings are worth trying. I already ordered from Elderly some Gibson, D'Addario and Martin sets. In the next order will include GHS. Thanks and congratulations