The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 62
    I am sure the rabbit is a great pedal - as the Cmat and VFE are. But then its a matter of taste and since I cant try the pedals its tough to buy them without trying.. the one I am buying will at least give me the RAT sound in the original clipping mode. I hope it will give me much more with all the options.

I don't know the alpha driver, Thadeus has an interesting gear blog that I read sometimes. But its a dumble overdrive, not a RAT (and for what I have read from the Dumble maniacs a zendrive is unbeatable in that department)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One od that I can certainly recommend for any jazz guitarist would be the barefoot honey bee. Very very touch responsive in that you will not even notice it's presence with a light thumb/pick but as you dig in it dirtys up into a nice mellow tweedy sound. Such a light od that my twin won't even recognize it under a 4 or 5 on the volume knob. Picked mine up used for $150. At that I feel it is a steal.

The world is full of great boutique pedals

User Info Menu

Amen

Speaking of that

Just found out a company that makes a tube screamer and a rat in one pedal... you will basically get a whole history of distortion and od in one box (it it sounds good).

Custom Shop Gallery

User Info Menu

Speaking of Sco, here is his current pedalboard, a picture taken at Yoshi's Oakland 2 days ago. I'm not familiar with Rat pedals but the settings suggest its being used as a boost

Wow these guys are always changing their pedals! Great picture

I have seen Rat pedals on ebay as low as $40.00 in pretty good condition. Didn't Carlos Santana use one.

User Info Menu

I have a semi beat up original that Guitar Center would've given me about $75 for when I was amp shopping. I kept it. The originals are more sought after and pricey. Whether the sound difference is a matter of perception or reality, I wouldn't know.

User Info Menu

In the SCO pic.. very interesting. The filter is "backwards" on a rat in that as you turn it down the treble increases so yeah, a boost BUT taking a bit of treble off. His is a second gen RAT (between the big box RAT and the RAT II)

User Info Menu

With this little puppy

I get the RAT and 9 other stomps including the Ibanez Tube Screamer ( with the same ic chip in it too as the Ibanez ) , I love it and will get another one since these are no longer made ebay has some cool deals on these everyday it seems .

The other stomps are in my GNX4 are :

Boss DS-1

DOD Over Drive

Big Muff Pie

Guyatone OD-2

Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

Digitech Grunge

Arbiter Fuzz Face

And Boss Metal Zone .

These stomps are really good too . Can't say enough positive stuff about this unit too and that's perplexing since they no longer make them .

Easy all Peace :

Hurricane Ramon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon
    Isn't this the navigation system on the space shuttle?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    Learning curve on this is about the same as learning how to land a space shuttle

HR

ImageShack Album - 4 images

It's here and it sounds great!

Next and final pedal will be a tube screamer / ep booster in one... from the same guy, I really loved this RAT.

Thankls for all your help!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    ImageShack Album - 4 images

It's here and it sounds great!

Next and final pedal will be a tube screamer / ep booster in one... from the same guy, I really loved this RAT.

Thankls for all your help!
    Looks nice but ... what is it???

It's a custom RAT I ordered from a guy here in Portugal some months ago and it's finally here. Original chip, true bypass and lots of clipping options and ruetz mod. And a lovely desgin / finish (for only 100€ with shipping).

User Info Menu

OK?! But what exactly are all the extra things for? A RAT has only 3 knobs and one switch...

Anyway as you know I'm waiting for this guy to come back from vacation so I can ask him how much he will charge to make a RAT that can mix the clean signal in there. Perhaps a few other mods would be cool too so I'm curious what you got there :P

There are two extra knobs - feedback and clipping. The feedback is for the "feedback mod" (google). The clipping changes between several types of clipping (original, mosfet, leds, germanium diodes, mix of original diode with germanium, no clipping section) . The switch is for the "ruetz mod" (google).

This guy tried all RAT mods on earth and said this was the best design for the cost. His Tube Screamer also has several mods (asymetrical and symetrical and several clipping types and I will add the BYOC EQ mod) - he also said he tried them all and settled on that design. The RC Booster will be an exact Xotic clone and the last pedal no my board (number 8).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

=============================================

The truth be told it was a flat out beeeeeach lernin .

I am glad though it's a super machine . The difficulty was remembering what section did what because it's got a multi track recorder that can do it alone or go into you P . C . via USB . You get 4 at once recording channels that way with the USB . The the FX engine , it is extensive as can be and I love it . You can use the FX for the vocals as well as the guitar how's that ! All the phasers - flangers - chorusings - whahs - $hit howdy - - -

Then the 10 stomps to play around with and they are are very good and true in sound to the hard wired versions .

Midi drums machine is clean and compared to others , a real outstanding value alone .

Input / output flexibility is right up there with the very best and another thing that confused the $hit out of the average dude to the max .

mic input too w/phantom cool huh

Great one manner for soloing shows , took time to realize how to use it and worth ever minute and dime spent .

I am in the market to get another via Ebay they are there to be had at really good values .

Now I'm eying a Roland GR55 and am trying to unload a few pieces of equipment like my Roland GR33 and a few other items to get up the $ I need for the upgrade in gear .

It's a never ending quest that is never quenched I fear till the day I hang up my tennies for keeps and check out of this world heh heh heh heh heh .

Easy Blood :

Hurricane Ramon.

User Info Menu

There are two extra knobs - feedback and clipping. The feedback is for the "feedback mod" (google). The clipping changes between several types of clipping (original, mosfet, leds, germanium diodes, mix of original diode with germanium, no clipping section) . The switch is for the "ruetz mod" (google).

This guy tried all RAT mods on earth and said this was the best design for the cost. His Tube Screamer also has several mods (asymetrical and symetrical and several clipping types and I will add the BYOC EQ mod) - he also said he tried them all and settled on that design. The RC Booster will be an exact Xotic clone and the last pedal no my board (number 8).
    Ok! Did some googling.. This feedback mod seems a bit complicated I think but I think I would wanna try some diffferent CLIPPINGS. I understand that using different kinds of CLIPPING can give very different kinds of distortion. I read that the germanium ones gives a more compressed kind of distortion for example.

But .. sorry to bother you again .. could you tell a bit more about the different clipping modes? How they each sound etc.. The original RAT uses a Silicium diode isn't that corrent? And how about this ruetz mod? I read that it gives a lighter gain with less bass response or something?

Anyway I think I'll go for some of the mods just not sure which are the most usable?!

Ah and let's see if you can keep it at only 8 pedals seems like you enjoy this whole gear thing a bit too much...
    Last edited by aniss1001; 02-02-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Well I bought the pedal with all this stuff for a simple reason: I really wanted a RAT and this guy built me one with the original circuit, custom desgin and all the mods at the price of a new Pro Co or a vintage one with the original chip. So it was a no brainer and I like the support the local economy (in desperate needs). I might not even use all the stuff and just use the stock mode but I don't mind it's there.

I cannot tell you yet the different sounds. I need more time with the pedal... and I am in exams right now in the conservatory. Some of them really change the distortion others are quite subtle.

The ruetz mode gives less gain with more defined bass. It's a very noticeable difference and adds a lot of versatility to the pedal. The original RAT uses a Silicum diode you're right. My main goal was to nail the original RAT sound and I got that. All the rest is bonus

No I will keep it the pedals as they are right now. They are actualyy 11 (small pedalboard with 3 and large one with 8) plus a BBE Acoustimax for my acoustic and a Loop Station for practice. I use and need all the pedals I have and I am settled now for a while - this doesn't mean I will never buy a pedal of course

I am not exactly a gear expert because my electronics knowledge is limited (if you read carefullt there are some guys here who really know this stuff) but I know enough to achieve my sound. I was just talking with a fellow guitar player yesterday and he was complaining he needed to know more about this stuff because he was not happy with some parts of his sound. Of course my main focus is in music and improvisation, I am just a fast learner

User Info Menu

Speaking of that

Just found out a company that makes a tube screamer and a rat in one pedal... you will basically get a whole history of distortion and od in one box (it it sounds good).

Custom Shop Gallery
    DF-7 Distortion Factory | DigiTech Guitar Effects

Tried once one in a friend's house and we dd some A / B with TS and RAT and the Digitech could sound fine but not exactly as good as the originals (and that guy is an expert on ODs and Distortions). But it's a good pedal.

At the end of this month I'll have a clone of RAT with Keeley mod and something more, made by MissinMusic Custom Pedals (Canary Islands, Spain).
    Last edited by carlescountry; 02-08-2012 at 03:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Hmm... Jorge (or anyone with similar knowledge) I could really use your advice again

I emailed the guy in Bs As who builds pedals (in particular RATs). He said that he could add a circuit that mixes the distorted signal with a clean one for 100 pesos (us$23). I think I'll go for it just for the fun of it

He didn't know about the ruetz mod but from what he could find on the internet it was pretty simple and would cost me 50 pesos (us$12). Think I'll want that too

However he also said that he couldn't do all the clippings I asked for (original, germanium, mosfet, leds, no clipping) because of problems with space in his design. He offered to make a 2-way switch (original and ONE other type) for 50 pesos (us$12) or a 3 way switch (original, ONE other plus NO clipping) for 70 pesos ($us16).

So I wanna ask if you have had a bit of time to try out the different clippings? It would be a great help to know which ones sound best, are most useful, etc. Or if some are very similar (redundant)? And this "no clipping" mode does it provide any gain at all or what does it do?