Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

If you've ever used them, feedback would be appreciated

Rotosound Top Tape Monel Flatwound?-rotosound-top-tape-monel-flatwound-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Bought a set when I first started playing jazz guitar as the only flatwounds that my local music shop would stock. When they died (which happened quite quickly) I bought more, thinking that I must just have had a rogue set; but then after recommendations on this site, I sought out Thomastiks. It was like having a new guitar.

The Rotosounds are sitting around here somewhere. Pay my postage and I'll send them to you no charge, though it wouldn't be much of a gift!!

Or spend a little extra and go for TI or D'Addario Chromes instead. 100% worth it.

User Info Menu

And now for something completely different...

I just put a set of the Rotosounds on my guitar. It's only been a couple of weeks, but so far they sound good and stay in tune fine. I won't say they're my "favorite," since I haven't played flats that much, but they certainly are working for me.

Isn't it amazing how two people can use the same product and have such totally different experiences?

The odd thing I've noticed about the Rotosounds is that pricing is all over the place. Just Strings sells them for $6 something a set, but I've seen them for two and three times that price other places. At $6 (or if you take mangotango up on his offer), they're worth a try. At $12-$15, I'd probably make another choice.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the impressions, very useful. Keep 'em coming, as they say.

I was looking at these as an inexpensive option, just putting out feelers.

I know the Chromes very well and like them. I've never got round to ordering a set of the renowned TIs because of their low tension wounds.

"At $6 (or if you take mangotango up on his offer), they're worth a try. At $12-$15, I'd probably make another choice" - these were my feelings exactly. Unless of course they only last half as long as the Chromes .....I can get them for around 6€ (+ shipping, but I'd be buying other needed sets).

They're going on my Artcore hollow body, BTW

User Info Menu

They have a duller tone than either TIs or chromes, last less than half as long, are a little rough to the touch, and only come in 12-52. Apart from that they're fine.

User Info Menu

Rotosound had a serious problem with QC some years ago (I read it somewhere, I can't seem to recall), but has regained it's fame bringing their products to a high quality control again.

I've never tried Rotos, but I know of some people that ddid try them in both periods, and everyone says they're fine now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Bought a set when I first started playing jazz guitar as the only flatwounds that my local music shop would stock. ...[ ]...
    mangotango:
    When was this?

franz:
    Can you use more specific aural terms to describe the "duller" tone you encountered?

I've tried them in the past year and noticed that they are not as smooth as Pyramids or TIs, but I haven't had any problems with their quality yet. They do sound slightly different but they seem to be fine so far.

Monel is quite different from nickel in composition (@2/3 nickel, copper, iron, a pinch of aluminum and titanium, stir vigorously until you reach 65 Rockwell B, then cool and add the Kraft mini-marshmallows). Gibson used it for years starting in the 1930s - I bet Charlie Christian used Gibson Monel strings.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-21-2017 at 06:13 AM.

User Info Menu

More specific than ""duller"" ??? Ok, fewer overtones, less sustain time, a less complex envelope to the sinusoidal vibrations, if we want to cork-sniff.....
    Still, tone's a matter of taste - if you like them, that's fine, and they are cheap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    mangotango:
    When was this?

I've tried them in the past year and noticed that they are not as smooth as Pyramids or TIs, but I haven't had any problems with their quality yet. They do sound slightly different but they seem to be fine so far.

Monel is quite different from nickel in composition (@2/3 nickel, copper, iron, a pinch of aluminum and titanium, stir vigorously until you reach 65 Rockwell B, then cool and add the Kraft mini-marshmallows). Gibson used it for years starting in the 1930s - I bet Charlie Christian used Gibson Monel strings.
    First started playing jazz guitar seriously about 4 1/2 years ago.

I would have discovered the TI's maybe 3 years ago (and I'm afraid the Top Tape strings that I would be getting rid of would be of that vintage!!). They may have changed in that time, but I'm quite happy with what I'm currently playing.

As for what I didn't like....Franz has hit the nail on the head.

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with these strings. Sound really mellow, feel great and the price is right.

User Info Menu

I'm also solidly in the pro Top Tape crowd. I found them to be fine strings at good prices. As for the matter of tone, I found them to be middle of the road offerings in terms of brightness. I would categorize the D'Addarios as being on the bright end of the scale, whereas the TIs are on the mellow end. The Rotosounds would fall in between on my scale.

A few years back, I experimented with different brands of flat wound strings and found some that were downright dreadful in that they were so dull and indistinct as to be muddy even when new. However, the Rotosound strings didn't fall into this category. In the end, I chose D'Addario and TI strings to be at the top of the mountain, but there were others including La Bella and Rotosound that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase should my top 2 choices be unavailable.

In the US, D'Addario Chromes are about the same price as the Rotosounds if you know when and where to shop, so I don't normally play Rotosounds, but I would consider them if I lived in a part of the world where Chromes were at a significant premium over their competition.

User Info Menu

I have tried Rotosound, Fender, Gibson (those two years ago), LaBella, D'Addario, TI, and others in the flatwound string universe. Over the years, I kept coming back around to Chromes because they were the solid bet. They never varied and delivered decent service and tone for the money.

Finally, I gave TI flats a few sets of critical evaluation. Oh, well...now it's the big money every time I change strings. I find the TI strings worth the expense, in terms of sound delivered. They bring out every nuance that the guitar can deliver, IMO.

There was nothing wrong with the Rotosounds, by they way...but that was years ago.

User Info Menu

Meh,

Tried on 2 guitars. 335 and loar acoustic

not a ti replacement electrically
    and not as good as as bronze acoustically

cheap yes but i don't buy cheap tires either and a couple sets of cheap strings and you are in ti land without the advantage of smoothness and durability.

I now am sure i'm better off to watch sales and stock up on dependable strings.

User Info Menu

I like the Chromes too but I don't think they're any better than than the Rotos just different. The Chromes are certainly a tad brighter. I haven't tried the more expensive strings like TIs yet but will at some point. The best price I can get on the TIs is AU $27.99 a pack. The Rotos are AU $17.99. Chromes are about AU $23 last time I bought them. Pyramids are AU $60 delivered. That's big dollars. Historically, I had been buying light guage round wound strings for my electrics for years at a rate of about AU $25 for 5 packs of strings.

TVGUY Guest
    String Wise: I have had excellent results with d'addario Chromes and Thomastik Flatwounds. And yes the Chromes are slightly brighter sounding. The Thomastic 11's on My Broadway sound and feel Amazing. An extremely Full Bodied Sound. They Both Bring out the Best in your Guitar. TVGUY

User Info Menu

Here's an uncoloured demo albeit with a single coil pickup but might give you a rough idea.

User Info Menu

I found this one with a full humbucker too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lumena
    not a ti replacement electrically
    and not as good as as bronze acoustically
    No flat wound is as good as bronze acoustically.

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread, but I considered it essential to clear up a few misconceptions. I'm also not disputing the experiences of others who tried these strings a while ago, however...

I installed a set of RotoSound Top Tape flatwounds on a guitar that I restored in September 2016. They were chosen primarily because of their affordability: the client wanted flat wound strings, and the cost of such luxuries is atrocious with our pathetic South African exchange rate.

I visited the client last weekend to inspect my handiwork that he has been enjoying for more than two years, now. The strings were as good as new! They were smooth to the touch, and sounded exactly as mellow, but clear, as the day I installed them. Certainly, D'Addario Chromes are slightly brighter, and should be chosen if the guitar will be used for anything other than traditional jazz.

It should be observed that, while the packaging refers to the strings as "Monel Flatwound", that is more a description of their vintage style than actual construction. The RotoSound website clearly states that they are stainless steel, nickel free ribbon. This might suggest a change in materials since they were last tried by disappointed members of this forum.

User Info Menu

I'm a regular on this old thread but have had a similar experience -- I installed a set of the Rotos on a guitar in January 2015 and they still sound as good as new. The intonation is fine too. They are an excellent product and happen to be reasonably priced. I agree with your perception of Chromes as well -- they are a little brighter and so better suited to a larger number of styles. I find the Chromes are quite long lived also.

User Info Menu

I love the top top Rotosounds. My experience is they do last/sound great/intonate properly for a very long time. Sometimes I do replace the plain steel b and e strings. A few months ago I did get a g string that was not as smooth as the others, but I replaced it and am still very pleased with them. I used Chromes for years, wouldn't kill me to use them again if I had to, but so farI've got no reason to go back.

User Info Menu

I have Rotosound Top Tapes on only one guitar — an Ibanez AF105NT that I usually use when playing with jazz bands. I think a tone that’s more focused on the fundamental frequency without a lot of harmonics gets along best with horns, piano and cymbals. For small ensembles and solo I usually use roundwound strings.

I only change the Rotosounds when I’m beginning to notice intonation problems. Since that guitar doesn’t get heavy use, it can go many months between string changes.

User Info Menu

I've got no problems with Rotosounds. I put them on my Guild X-700 a week ago. Sounds just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SirGawain
    ...It should be observed that, while the packaging refers to the strings as "Monel Flatwound", ... The RotoSound website clearly states that they are stainless steel, nickel free ribbon. This might suggest a change in materials since they were last tried by disappointed members of this forum.
    Worth investigating. Jason How has not responded to my queries yet, but, if he does, I will post my findings.
    I got a couple of boxes of these a few years ago, and the sets I have used so far sound fine and have worn well.
    I suspect the ones I have predate the changeover.
    They do sound different than steel-wrapped flats from Daddario/GHS/Labella and nickel-wrapped flats from TI/Pyramid.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 12-06-2018 at 03:31 AM.

User Info Menu

dq'ed...BOO!!! don't understand how rotosound can make stainless steel flats and call them monel!!!...monel is closer to pure nickel...stainless steel is what all usa flats are made of..including d'addario chromes...

they should get in trouble for that..false advertising!...

they actually say nickel free!!!

from their site-

TOP TAPE
    Stainless Steel Nickel Free Ribbon
    Still the favourite for players of jazz, fusion, slide and studio work alike.
    The smooth feel from the stainless steel tape offers noiseless fingering yet still allows for an element of upper harmonics to cut through without the twang of a roundwound.

yet package

that's bs!!!

so todays rotosound electric guitar flatwounds are the same materials as every usa made ghs , labella, d'addario, fender, etc etc...and you are not stuck with the one guage 12-52 set

long live thomastik pure nickel jazz swings!!!...and pyramid pure nickel flats as well!

cheers