The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kuz
    These are the same experiences I have read and been taught years ago, especially that ebony is the wood that REALLY NEEDS to be oiled to prevent cracking.
    I would agree with this. Long ago, when I was just a player, not a luthier, I never did anything to my guitars, just played them. I only had one fretboard ever to crack from drying out. It was ebony.

Rosewood is more stable than ebony, changes shape less with changes in humidity, so it can handle more drying without cracking. Still a good idea to keep it oiled.

The main rule is don't use too much. The instructions in finishing books will say something like "flood" the surface with oil, let it soak in a few minutes, then wipe of the excess. Don't take that word "flood" too literally, or you will have oil seeping back out of the pores for hours or days.

Just dampen the surface by wiping the oil on, I would say "sparingly", with a cloth or paper towel. If a section dries completely in a few minutes, you can add a little more to that spot. After 5-10 minutes the wood will absorb all the oil it's going to. Wipe off the excess at that point. Wait a few more minutes, and if more comes back out, wipe that off and string up.

It doesn't matter which product you use as long as it is a light, non-hardening oil. Tung and Linseed are examples of hardening oils that should be avoided.

Techs will usually do this for you when you get your guitar setup.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I heard that many expensive oils for fretboards are actually just repackaged vegetable oil.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Loobs
    I heard that many expensive oils for fretboards are actually just repackaged vegetable oil.
    Loobs, you bad bad BaaAAD old cynic Not when they're repackaged by men with PhDs, no siree. The proof is scientific...at least, it looks scientific and it is good enough for some.

Let sleeping dogs lie.

P.S. I just missed it completely. Loobs, oils, lubes, hmmm.

User Info Menu

You don't miss a thing, my friend.

User Info Menu

under dry condition, is the water to be vaporized inside of the wood structure, not the oil component? If in that case, humidify again will restore the wood structure instead of using oil. If oil interacts with some wood lipid structure, will it change the stiffness of wood? Oil may just swell the wood structure or dissolve some wood lipid structure? but not reset it to original condition? Just from naive thinking. Cheers.

User Info Menu

These oils are essentially mineral oil, some with added scent. I use food-grade mineral oil (used for preserving nice chopping boards), it's available at Home Depot. I'd use Baby Oil, but I don't like the smell. Any mineral oil will work the same.

User Info Menu

There is a popular brand of fret board oil that says on the back of the label do not use with maple fretboards. A lot of guitars have maple fretboards. i wonder why no maple? What is it about maple fretboards? Ugggg

And best wishes to you all.

User Info Menu

Wow, talk about learning something new every day. In 50 years no one ever mentioned oiling of fretboards. I am fortunate that the fretboards on my guitars are all in excellent shape. They all happen to be Rosewood and two are over 40 years old. I've always wipe them down and kept them clean but never applied an oil.
    May have to have a go. Thanks for sharing the info.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnny67
    There is a popular brand of fret board oil that says on the back of the label do not use with maple fretboards. A lot of guitars have maple fretboards. i wonder why no maple? What is it about maple fretboards? Ugggg

Finished maple doesn't need oil. It would soften the finish and ruin the fretboard. Baked maple, I'm not sure. I'd call Gibson about baked maple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnny67

aren't maple fretboards usually varnished? - adding oil would presumably create a skating rink ...

User Info Menu

This topic creeps up from time to time. If you are putting mineral oil onto the finger board wipe off immediately. Don't let it soak in overnight. It could make future refrets and finish/gluing repairs impossible!

The best thing I have found is Gorgomyte!

Gorgomyte Fret And Fingerboard Conditioner

Its mainly for polishing frets but also conditions fret boards too.

Jazzbow highly recommends this for fingerboards and has no affiliation to the manufacturer whatsoever.....

User Info Menu

Congrats on the Carvin.

I condition all my fretboards, rosewood and ebony, once a year with Gibson fretboard conditioner.