The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 54

User Info Menu

I'm looking for an amp to replace my SF Princeton Reverb (w/ 12" speaker). I'd like something with more power and headroom, maybe 30-40 watts in a small light package, definitely with tubes. I've been thinking maybe going boutique but would need something used.

I'm doing a lot of looking but thought some input from fellow jazzers would help.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Henriksen JazzAmp 112. Woops, you said tubes...

User Info Menu

I don't think I've ever played a 30-40w tube amp I'd classify as light.

The rivera Pubster and Clubster are probably as light as you're gonna get...pretty compact too...very cool amps.

I've got a Vox AC30 with a 1x12 that's an beast, very difficult to carry especially for jazz gigs. And the PR is great but I need more cleans.

I've though about those Rivera's but I'm a bit hesitant to get something with a gain channel as it's not something i'd really use.

User Info Menu

In a current Fender amp, the Hot Rod Deluxe is a 1x12 combo, 40W, 2 x 6L6, 45lbs, but it can be bright and harsh. Not exactly a jazz amp.

User Info Menu

Fair enough.

Any reason you think you need tubes? My Henriksen's a tube amp eater

I have a JazzKat when I need it, but I also want versatility on my regular gigging amp - so I can bring my Tele, semi-hollow, or hollow and get good sound out of each guitar. To me, that's a tube amp.

User Info Menu

I agree with Mr. B. You won't find anything small and light in a 40 watt tube amp. I was going to recommend the Riveras, but Mr. B beat me to it. The Riveras and the Mesa LoneStars are available as heads. That may solve your size and weight problem, but I doubt there are many on the used market.

User Info Menu

Gries 35 is my fave

www.griesamps.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by taxman
    I agree with Mr. B. You won't find anything small and light in a 40 watt tube amp
    Sure you will. The gries is small and light and at 35watts, very close to the OP's specs. Put a SS rectifier in it and you'd be at 40watts. 32lbs with a tonker lite in it. Blows away *ANY* SS amp for tone IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supermaxx
    I have a JazzKat when I need it, but I also want versatility on my regular gigging amp - so I can bring my Tele, semi-hollow, or hollow and get good sound out of each guitar. To me, that's a tube amp.
    Will this amp just be used clean? Maybe if you could give details: price, weight limits, etc...

So I'll be using it mostly for clean. If I need some gain I'll throw a pedal in front. Weight and size means I can carry it in one hand and a guitar in the other if needed, maybe around 40lbs. Cost, I'd like to be able to cover it give or take by selling my Princeton, I'm also selling a guitar (pre-lawsuit Ibanez es175 style if anyone's interested) that can be used to cover the cost too.

That Gries looks really nice, if I found a used one I'd be on it fast but maybe a little much for me to buy new. I've seen some other amps like that, small company, boutique, simple, but haven't been able to seal the deal.

User Info Menu

Egnater tweaker head and cab.15w but pretty loud and some great tones,clean and dirty.Pretty light.There's also a combo which is heavier.

User Info Menu

forgot to add,it has no reverb but the Holy Grail Nano works great for some nice reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Sure you will. The gries is small and light and at 35watts, very close to the OP's specs. Put a SS rectifier in it and you'd be at 40watts. 32lbs with a tonker lite in it. Blows away *ANY* SS amp for tone IMO.
    Jack,
    I spoke to Dave Gries a week or so ago about the Gries 35. He said it was around 40 lbs with the Tonkerlite, and 50 lbs with the regular Tonker. Did you happen to weigh your amp? If I could get 35 watts of Blackface tone weighing only 32 lbs, I'd be all over it.

User Info Menu

I know of no such tube amp that is light AND durable that has a lot of clean head room. Has the forum embraced Neo speakers yet? That would help in the weight department for sure. Hard to get around quality transformers.
    Seems like there are a lot of "old schooler's" here. I guess it comes down to personal preference as to how much lifting and loading you deem worth the return.

User Info Menu

Carvin Nomad - 50w 1x12 40lbs $599
    CarvinWorld.com - Guitars, Amplifiers & Pro Audio

User Info Menu

Have you tried putting a lower gain preamp tube in the Princeton? How about a more efficient speaker? Theoretically, a Princeton with a speaker rated at 100db efficiency should be as loud as my super reverb with 95db efficiency.

User Info Menu

I have a SF PR with a celestion century neo ( not the current century vintage) @102db and it is considerably louder than a stock 40w fender. weighs 28lb. The stock SF princeton circuit only gives 12w but can be tweaked to give 18-20 - lots of info on the internet. The SF amps have handwired circuits which are relatively easy to modify.
    It's difficult to beat the SF princeton tone, size & weight so I'd consider if a little modification could give you what you are looking for before selling.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bebop Tom
    Jack,
    I spoke to Dave Gries a week or so ago about the Gries 35. He said it was around 40 lbs with the Tonkerlite, and 50 lbs with the regular Tonker. Did you happen to weigh your amp? If I could get 35 watts of Blackface tone weighing only 32 lbs, I'd be all over it.
    mine is 46 with the regular tonker, so that would be 36 with the tonker-lite

User Info Menu

Thank you. Do you prefer the non-lite Tonker?

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    I have a SF PR with a celestion century neo ( not the current century vintage) @102db and it is considerably louder than a stock 40w fender. weighs 28lb. The stock SF princeton circuit only gives 12w but can be tweaked to give 18-20 - lots of info on the internet. The SF amps have handwired circuits which are relatively easy to modify.
    It's difficult to beat the SF princeton tone, size & weight so I'd consider if a little modification could give you what you are looking for before selling.
    Hey Franz,
    I just had my amp put back to spec as it had been modded before so I'm probably going to keep it that way for now. I've looked into getting another speaker, the Weber 12F150 came recommended.

You get enough headroom out of your PR to play with a drummer?

User Info Menu

How about a Deluxe Reverb? It's lower wattage than you're looking for, but still might be loud enough. I have one and it easily competes with higher wattage combos. I replaced the preamp tubes with 5751s, they're lower gain and gave me a lot more headroom. Not too heavy to shlep around either.

User Info Menu

Rivera Jazz Suprema 15" speaker? Only 40 lbs, probably the world's best jazz amp...

Osvi

User Info Menu

Hey Franz,
    I just had my amp put back to spec as it had been modded before so I'm probably going to keep it that way for now. I've looked into getting another speaker, the Weber 12F150 came recommended.

You get enough headroom out of your PR to play with a drummer?

My PR does about 20w, not the stock 12 w - anyway this is a difficult question! I'd say that it just about works in a quartet with one horn at moderate volumes, and is fine without a drummer. Most of us know that when playing with drummers, sometimes even ( say) a stock vibrolux or pro isn't enough, because you need to increase available wattage/spl a LOT to increase clean volume/ headroom a relatively small amount. Since humping a twin hasn't been an option for me since 1990, I go with the modded PR for small set-ups, and go with an Evans SS amp for louder stuff.
    There is one amp which I remember as being light, compact and quite loud, and that's the 80s music man RD 12 50- they are actually smaller than the PR. They had a SS preamp and tube output, and weighed about the same. You might find one second-hand quite cheaply, and the preamp ICs are still widely available. These amps had nearly 600v on the tubes, and so when US/ W European tubes became difficult to get in the 90s, many of them were dumped, but they still pop up occasionally. If they had been all-tube, they would have been collectible by now.....