The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 54

User Info Menu

yes I prefer the regular tonker for most things but the lite does sound good for jazz guitar. It's a little bright for smooth fusion tones though.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Egnater Rebel 30. Scaleable from 1 to 30 watts. Two channels. Ability to mix between 6L6 and EL84 tubes. And the 1-12" combo is 31 pounds. Plenty of headroom and a lead channel that will eliminate any need for a dirt pedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkwire
    Egnater Rebel 30. Scaleable from 1 to 30 watts. Two channels. Ability to mix between 6L6 and EL84 tubes. And the 1-12" combo is 31 pounds. Plenty of headroom and a lead channel that will eliminate any need for a dirt pedal.
    Hmm, interesting suggestion. I actually played an Egnater a few weeks ago and it had a great clean sound. I was looking for something with only 1 channel but that amp has a lot us nice features. I'll definitely have to give one a test drive.

Have you used one for jazz?

User Info Menu

Just as a heads up there's a cat on the acoustic guitar forum selling a pubster for $500.

If I needed an amp i'd be on that like my dog on beneful savory lamb and rice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supermaxx
    Hmm, interesting suggestion. I actually played an Egnater a few weeks ago and it had a great clean sound. I was looking for something with only 1 channel but that amp has a lot us nice features. I'll definitely have to give one a test drive.

Have you used one for jazz?
    Just in practice sessions. I use it mainly in my classic rock band.

The Rebel 20 has the same features (minus reverb) but only one channel. I specifically wanted a 2-channel amp because I prefer the sound of tube distortion to a pedal...at least the pedals I've tried.

User Info Menu

And the 1-12" combo is 31 pounds.
    The Rebel 30 combo 1-12 seems a very interesting, though expensive, option;
    However, it is not particulary light : 50 lbs, not 31.

Welcome to Egnater Amplification

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    In a current Fender amp, the Hot Rod Deluxe is a 1x12 combo, 40W, 2 x 6L6, 45lbs, but it can be bright and harsh. Not exactly a jazz amp.
    I have one. Decent enough sound. But I made the mistake of confusing lighter than a Marshall 2x12 with light enough. Next time I have some amp money I'm going solid state.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sdr
    I have one. Decent enough sound. But I made the mistake of confusing lighter than a Marshall 2x12 with light enough. Next time I have some amp money I'm going solid state.
    Here are some benchmarks, all are 12" combos.

Evans: JE200, 30lbs
    Henriksen: JazzAmp 112, 32lbs
    JazzKat: PhatKat, 28lbs
    Polytone: MiniBrute II, 28lbs
    ZT: Club, 22lbs

User Info Menu

Cube 80: 35 lbs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mambosun
    The Rebel 30 combo 1-12 seems a very interesting, though expensive, option;
    However, it is not particulary light : 50 lbs, not 31.

Welcome to Egnater Amplification
    Hmm...I must have put the weight of the head, not the combo.

But...I do not believe my Rebel 30 weighs 50 pounds. I have not weighed it, but it is definitely lighter than my Hot Rod Deluxe 1x12 combo, which is listed at 45 pounds.

Expensive...yes, I agree. But worth every penny. I also bought it through Musicians Friend with 12 months/no interest financing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supermaxx
    I'm looking for an amp to replace my SF Princeton Reverb (w/ 12" speaker). I'd like something with more power and headroom, maybe 30-40 watts in a small light package, definitely with tubes. I've been thinking maybe going boutique but would need something used.

I'm doing a lot of looking but thought some input from fellow jazzers would help.

Thanks!
    Sounds like a strong case for the Headstrong Lil' King S to me.
    Princeton Reverb built for 6L6s. Top notch.

User Info Menu

Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. Decent price if you find one. Extremely light and very loud - although the 250w is a myth. Works with almost any cabinet on earth with 2 ohms minimum load. Nice FX Reverbs. And most important of all - great tone: it has the acoustic clean solid state sound but with a little tube vibe to my ears. The first amp I really really love.

User Info Menu

I've spent a lot of time exploring this subject, as I have quite a few amps that fall into this category (and a few notes on each):

Cube 30 XL -- light, awesome, no way is it loud enough for a non-jazz gig w/ a drummer

Lunchbox -- really light, one or two decent tones straight through that work well with a band (nice mid rangey cleans), not loud enough for larger venues/non jazz in most cases.

Acoustic Image Coda+ -- I have this as a combo with the downfiring 10". This amp is the be-all end-all of everything jazz guitar could ever want to be IMO. It has so much versatility, sounds incredible. I've actually played outdoor gigs with it using one channel for acoustic guitar and another for mic. Just plain wonderful... but the downfiring setup is kind of lousy for a lot of band situations.

I spoke with the AI guys and the Redstone Audio guys and so my next trial will be the Redstone 12" cab (only 22 lbs) with the AI detachable head from the Coda+ (the Coda+ head weighs practically nothing).

Per Redstone Audio:

"The RS-12 would be louder for reason that it has a 12" speaker as compared to the Coda's 10", the SPL for the 12" is 97 whereas the Coda speaker is in the upper 80's (lower SPL necessary for lower frequency response). SPL is measure of efficiency in turning electrical current into sound energy. And of course, direct sound projection is more efficient than indirect especially for mid range and higher frequencies. Now if you really want to be heard, use the RS-12 as an extension speaker with your Coda.

No issues with playing bass through RS-12 or using effects with any Redstone speakers. "

The cab is supposed to show up Monday so I am stoked about this. I figure it'll be really solid with either my AI or even my lunchbox.

I figure I can carry my guitar in one hand, the 22 lb cab in the other and a backpack with the head, cables and few other doodads.

More to follow...!!!

Oh... ps, I have a 90's era Fender Blues Deluxe. It is an incredible amp for rock/blues gigs. I'm not a fan of it for jazz (esp with so many better options). At 40 lbs though, it's a big step heavier than these options so I tend to skip it most of the time.

User Info Menu

Hm, that's interesting data there Silentwiz - I'd be interested in the AI stuff simply because I also play the standup bass, and I'm looking for a good amplification rig. Sounds like the cab + AI head does double-duty (clean guitar + acoustic bass) with ease.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwiz
    Cube 30 XL -- light, awesome, no way is it loud enough for a non-jazz gig w/ a drummer
    The Cube 30 is not loud enough for a jazz gig with a drummer in my experience - also in my experience jazz drummers play loud. Not as loud as rock drummers but still loud - unless you want them to act like an Aebersold. And "awesome" is definitively a word I wouldn't use for any current production Cube.

About AI that whole 400w thing is something I don't understand... Relation between watts and volume has been widely explained in this forum and using that kind of power in an amp doesn't bring you that much volume and seriously limits you in choosing speakers...

I have spoke with Stan at Redstone and he is incredibly nice. His cabinets seem great and a lot of people are choosing them over Raezers Edge - but the Eminence speaker he uses is the reason I don't buy one without trying it first (hard here in Portugal). I would rather want an amp in the 100w / 120w range (like the Henriksen or the jazzmaster ultralight at 4 ohms or 8 ohms) because you have a much broader range of speakers available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. Decent price if you find one. Extremely light and very loud - although the 250w is a myth. Works with almost any cabinet on earth with 2 ohms minimum load. Nice FX Reverbs. And most important of all - great tone: it has the acoustic clean solid state sound but with a little tube vibe to my ears. The first amp I really really love.
    This is a very under rated amp. I use mine for all kinds of material and a friend borrows it to plug his Fishman-equipped Martin into. It's the one amp I won't part with. The head + cabinet weigh 25.6 lb and it sings.

If you restrict yourself to tube amps you're likely to end up with something unsatisfactory. Tubes have such an unassailable mythology surrounding them that you can lose sight of the fact that some excellent solid state devices are being made these days (and, conversely, some pitiful tube amps). At the moment I own four tube amps and the JM. The tube amps are good, but the Jazzmaster is better: lighter, smaller, more powerful, and it sounds better. It is able to emulate the nonlinear response of tubes while taking advantage of the benefits of solid state.

Fender never properly marketed these. I went to the local Fender dealer to order one and he had never heard of it. They show up on eBay from time to time for $600-$800, so they are not as pricey as new ($1300, if I remember correctly).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lpdeluxe
    ...Fender never properly marketed these. I went to the local Fender dealer to order one and he had never heard of it...
    I'm extremely happy with my Henriksen JazzAmp 112. But before I bought it, I really wanted to try a Jazzmaster Ultralight. I couldn't find a single one in the greater Boston area, and there are lots of music stores around here. I don't understand how Fender dropped the ball on this one.

User Info Menu

They did several mistakes with that amp imo.

1) Apparently some were noisy - something that could have been avoideid using OPA2134 instead of TL072.

2) Using 250w at 2 ohms. A lot of people just thought they had to always use the amp with 2 ohms cabinets which are rare... And the amp is not that powerful - I once asked Fender and they said 200w and Jensen told me the speaker in there is a regular 100w neo so... but it's plenty loud. It's still loud with an EV at 8 ohms, you don't need to use it at 2 ohms to be loud.

3) Calling it Jazzmaster. They should have just called it the Ultralight and sell it as a good amp for everyone because its indeed a very nice amp for rock - the guy from Kiss Kiss or Nori Bucci use it. The OD side is really usable.

4) The price - it was around 1300€ head and cabinet... thats expensive. I bought mine used at 750€ and I tell you I would have paid the retail price know that I have it and know how great it is... It sounds better than my Henriksen, is more versatile and has good reverb. And it has half the weight (the head doesn't even count - goes in the bag with the cables and the fx). HALF...

Since they marketed it badly - sales were very poor and they didn't even shipped it to a lof ot places. They were indeed rare to find and because Fender is a large company I bet they just stop making any product that doesn't reach a certain sales value.

If they had made it just The Ultralight at 4 ohms and explicity said it could be used also at 8 ohms - at a price of 800€ and with good marketing I think they would have sold millions of that thing. A lot of people in foruns did A / B with vintage Fenders and found little difference... Actually all reviews are excellent - I bought mine without trying it first. Everyone here loves it and never heard of it before!
    Last edited by jorgemg1984; 11-13-2011 at 10:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I used to have a Jazzmaster Ultralight and really enjoyed it and miss it. Should have kept it. I bought it new online with the matching cabinet. It was a tad pricey for solid state. I agree with some minor tweaks and better marketing, it could have been a very successful amp for Fender.

Though I am high on these amps, I did have a couple minor issues with mine... First, the footswitch didn't work and for some reason the Fender authorized shop couldn't replace just the footswitch...I had to give them the head too. Then Fender sent the shop a brand new one for me. The footswitch worked fine on the new one, but the amp was a noisy...especially when you stopped playing (white noise, staticy type of thing). The first head was not noisy like this one. So, I brought that back to the shop and they replaced that one too. The 3rd one was totally fine and I really liked the amp. I used it for both jazz and rock actually.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 01-03-2012 at 10:24 PM.

User Info Menu

VVT Lindy Fralin amp, or LF II, designed for clean, 35 tube watts, warm sound, 38lbs, (or less with the 12".)At least look at the website.
    I love mine.

User Info Menu

I've been using a Fishman Artist, and its 120 watts, 25 lbs, and sounds great with my electrics

User Info Menu

I know I'm coming in late to the party, but for the benefit of others who run across this thread like I did: I don't think the Rebel 30 is what the OP was looking for.

I played two Egnater Rebel 30s (in the head/cab format) and was very disappointed with them. The so-called clean channel was way too compressed for my taste, and the power scaling - Egnater's implementation of London Power scaling - is useless. If you read Egnater's literature carefully, they spend a lot of time lowering expectations. They point out quite rightly that the power scaling affects the breakup point and does not affect the volume much at all. The problem for me was that the power scaling had no significant affect on the breakup point either. OTOH, the EL84 versus 6V6 (not 6L6) does make quite a difference in the tone. Also, this amp weighs in at 43 pounds (not 31).

I don't mean to flame Funkwire, and the Egnater folks are pretty good in general, but if you're looking for lightweight and more clean headroom, this design is not for you. OTOH, if run-of-the-mill cleans are okay -- or what I would call run-of-the-mill lol -- and you want versatility, the Rebel 30 offers a lot for the money.

User Info Menu

i don't know if anyone has brought it up already but when i think of small powerful amps my mind goes right to the deluxe reverb. i don't know how heavy it is but i know a lot of guys who got rid of their twins for the deluxes for the sake of transportation alone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gerraguitar
    i don't know if anyone has brought it up already but when i think of small powerful amps my mind goes right to the deluxe reverb. i don't know how heavy it is but i know a lot of guys who got rid of their twins for the deluxes for the sake of transportation alone
    The Deluxe Reverb is listed at 42 pounds.

User Info Menu

I really dig my new VVT Performer amp head...25 pounds...40 watts rms...reverb....no tremolo (who needs it?)...a princeton size portable head....2 6L6 tubes and Mercury transformers...traditional black face tone...mid shift and bright switches for added tonal array...presence control on the back panel...and customer service that will bring a tear to your eye. Fantastic jazz amp in a portable head. My Hot Rod Deluxe was killing my back. This head with a 1-10 EV 10M cab is heaven with my 1962 L5. Highly recommended. Been gigging with it for a few weeks now. Sounds great with lots of clean blackface headroom.What guitar amp for headroom and lightweight?-img_9911-jpgWhat guitar amp for headroom and lightweight?-img_9902-jpg