The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

So I've been using 3.0mm Dunlop Big Stubby pics for a while now. I've been using the rounded sides/corners for jazz and the pointed side for rock. These are them:

I've liked them for the most part but have been wanting to try something else. Any recommendations? I like the Dunlops because they're inexpensive and I lose picks too easily to justify spending much more.

I just ordered some Dunlop Jazztones to try. I ordered both the 207 (for jazz since it has the rounded tip) and the 208 (for rock since it has the pointed tip). Anyone have experience with these? These are them:

**EDIT**

I've settled on the Jazztone 204 and 205. The 204 for jazz playing. Here's the 204:

Last edited by monkmiles; 11-11-2011 at 01:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have used Dunlop Jazz Tone 205 and 206 a lot through the years for electric guitar. I also like the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III. For acoustic rhythm playing, I use a big triangular Dunlop Ultex 1.14mm. But very likely, your mileage will vary, and you'll have to experiment to find your own favorites. Luckily, most picks are not expensive, and they can mean a lot of difference to the tone (or rather the attact of the tone, but that is a big part of the percieved "tone"). They are easily available from web shops, so you are not stuck with what your local guitar shop has. I have tried some of those handmade and expensive picks, but didn't find them any better than the much cheaper Dunlops, so Dunlops is what I stick with. Dunlops come in a great variety, so there should be something for everyone.

User Info Menu

I used Jazztones for years--great picks.

I'm currently loving John Pearse fast turtles (2.5mm) for electric playing. More expensive, but worth every penny to me.

User Info Menu

I've used the Jazztone 207s for years and have no intention of ever changing. I love them. They provide the roundest sound I've ever heard come from a pick.

User Info Menu

i've been using Dunlop Gator 2mm picks forever, and before that I used the 1.5mm and before that the 1.14mm

Anyway, the size, shape and edge is what I like. I wouldn't like the Jazztones. When I was 12 i used stubby's and now wouldn't touch them with a 10ft poll.

User Info Menu

The Jazztones are nothing like the Stubbys.

User Info Menu

I use Fender Heavies or D'andrea pro plecs (Kreisberg and Adam Rogers use this brand) depending on my mood. I used to use Jazz III's but I find that they are too abrasive. Also, pointy picks are really nasty for strumming purposes. My favorite would have to be the fender heavy though. If I angle it just a little it produces a full yet clear tone.

User Info Menu

I have that same Stubby you have pictured but haven't used it in a while. Lately I've been using the D'Andrea Pro Plec, small pointed teardrop shape.

User Info Menu

Pro Plec

User Info Menu

Jazztone 205's for decades (before JD bought them even)

User Info Menu

One thing to clarify about my use of the Big Stubby pick is that I rotate the pick around and use the rounded corner and not the point. When I play rock stuff with them I use the point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    I've used the Jazztone 207s for years and have no intention of ever changing. I love them. They provide the roundest sound I've ever heard come from a pick.
    Cool, glad to hear that. The 205s also caught my eye and I'm thinking of trying. But not sure I'd like their small size. Did you eve compare the 205 and 207 by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW400
    Jazztone 205's for decades (before JD bought them even)
    Ever compare them to the 207? I might have to order a small bag of the 205s too. I've found small bags of 6 on amazon.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 07-15-2011 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Wait, it's the 204 I was thinking of, not the 205. It's the 204 with the rounded point that I was hoping to compare with the 207.

I switched to Jazztones from Claytons for a few years, but compared to the Stubby (I use the smaller size), they are muffled and don't bring out the bell-like tones - so I've been using the Stubbies exclusively for almost 10 years.

I've heard great things about the staggeringly expensive Red Bear picks, but I'm not sure about the prudence of spending $20 on a single pick.

User Info Menu

I bought a few Red Bear picks. They're ok but I still use the 205's. I did compare the 204 to the 205 but I didn't like the blunted end. I would use the 206 in a bind

As far as availability I bought about 500 of the JD jazztone 205 from Musicians Friend years ago. I still have a big jar full of them. The JD version are ok but not as good as the originals from the 80's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tsar nicholas
    I've heard great things about the staggeringly expensive Red Bear picks, but I'm not sure about the prudence of spending $20 on a single pick.
    Tried 'em. Not worth it. Didn't like the feel and they break easily. Brittle. I'm big on the Moshay (Ted Greene used 'em) at the moment.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by martinopass
    Cool, glad to hear that. The 205s also caught my eye and I'm thinking of trying. But not sure I'd like their small size. Did you eve compare the 205 and 207 by any chance?
    The Jazztone 205 is a smaller pick than what I'm accustomed to, so I didn't bond with it the way I would with a larger one. If you've played and enjoyed the Jazz IIIs, you may like the 205.

The rounded tip of the 207 is it's selling point as far as I'm concerned. It is the closest I've come to the sound of a thumb while using a pick.

User Info Menu

I like these Dunlop shapes (small pointed):

Stubby 1mm - crisp attack - great with a Tele - but the point wears down quickly (and they're too easy to lose because they're clear).

Jazztone 205 - too thick and the attack is too 'clicky' (for me).

Red Nylon Jazz III - feels good, but a little bit slippery and muted sounding (to me).

Ultex Jazz III - just right (for now).

I think string gauge has alot to do with it. I use roundwound 11's; if I used flatwound 13's, I think the Jazztone 205 might be my choice.

At any rate, I find it interesting that there are so many different pick preferences.

User Info Menu

The small and precise Jim Dunlop Jazz III red or black work best for me.
    Last edited by vinlander; 07-15-2011 at 08:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I love the 205, 206, and 208s.

Currently, I am using the 208s exclusively. I never used a pick that big before, but it is quite comfortable.

Oh, and I agree that the type of strings matters. I use exclusively flat wounds on my hollow bodies so the above picks sound GREAT (IMHO)
    Last edited by Kuz; 07-15-2011 at 09:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Try a few V-picks.

User Info Menu

I used Dunlop 206 for years. Then Tortex 1mm using the wrong side, now Carol Kay's picks.

User Info Menu

+ 1 on Dunlop Jazztones; I particularly like 205s. The other picks I really like now (after trying a lot of different ones) are celluloid D'Andrea Pro Plecs. I'd say the Dunlops produce slightly more harmonics, and so have a slightly brighter sound, while the Pro Plecs give a slightly darker (but still rich) sound.

Overall, its striking how much of a difference your pick can make to your tone. Well worth experimenting with, and probably the cheapest "tone tool" for getting the sound. As has been discussed on other threads, how you hold the pick (the angle to the strings) can also have a big impact on tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bborzell
    Strangely enough, the one I come back to is the clear yellow looking one and, if you look closely, you will see that the brand is worn off.
    It shure looks like a Dunlop Ultex. I like them too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    + 1 on Dunlop Jazztones; I particularly like 205s. The other picks I really like now (after trying a lot of different ones) are celluloid D'Andrea Pro Plecs. I'd say the Dunlops produce slightly more harmonics, and so have a slightly brighter sound, while the Pro Plecs give a slightly darker (but still rich) sound.

Overall, its striking how much of a difference your pick can make to your tone. Well worth experimenting with, and probably the cheapest "tone tool" for getting the sound. As has been discussed on other threads, how you hold the pick (the angle to the strings) can also have a big impact on tone.

Yes this can make a HUGE difference in tone. I am trying to break a habit of catching a little bit of my finger while I pick. This is not an easy habit after over 20 years, but I prefer the clearer articulation of the pick only.

I also agree that different types of picks are the easiest and least expensive why to change your tone. Once at the Heritage Club Reunion I broke out a John Pizzarelli jazz pick to play a members Super. He couldn't believe how much better it sounded than his all purpose pick!

User Info Menu

What's a John Pizarelli jazz pick?