The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

Now, firstly, i realise that these are not equivalents!
    I currently own a Microcube and am happy with it; to a degree...

Some background. I just play for myself and family. So maybe I have played for 15-20 people max at one time. About seven songs, but growing But I enjoy myself and am learning all the time (rock playing background but jazz is my first love). But I don't want to gig. I am in awe of some of the guys on this forum by the way!.
    My Microcube sounds wonderful tone wise. But....... I just can't handle the speaker flubbing out all over the place. It's also a touch quiet.
    I want something that I can just put in a bag and go with. To the family's house; whatever. Yes I could afford a bigger amp, but I just don't want anything too large. Maybe it would need to go on a window ledge when I play.
    Now, I realise that ZT do the Lunchbox. Is this any good? As I said above, I can't live with a flapping speaker. I realise that the Lunchbox can go very loud (which I probably don't need) but I am more concerned with low-medium volumes. I realise it is way more expensive than the Microcube, but honestly, price is not an issue.
    So any suggestions would be appreciated; I will demo the ZT if I can, but it is not too easy here in the UK. By the way, I play a Peerless Manhattan, which is an archtop with a floating pickup.

Oh - and has anyone tried the Lunchbox Acoustic with an archtop?

Many thanks for anyone who can help or give any advice. Oh, and if there are any other options please let me know - I have heard about the Vox Mini 3, but am not sure whether I would get too much more with that than the Roland given the low price.
    Thanks again

Phil

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You won,t be dissapointed with the Lunchbox , I play a telecaster clone and a Vintage vsa575 semi acoustic through mine and there is no speaker issues . It has been discussed on here on a few threads so a search would give you more info . Also there is a load of clips on youtube ...good luck .

User Info Menu

I like the lunchbox, but it's basically a clean slate. Sounds better with a litttle reverb and eq in front of it.

The speaker will not flub out on bass notes, but there's not a thump to the sound. The speaker can handle more bass though, that's why an eq pedal or some other device with eq is nice in front of it.

User Info Menu

Lunchbox is a fail... If you have a chance check/try the Ibanez Wholetone. Good price for a good jazz sound.

Review here: https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...tml#post151922

User Info Menu

Fail's a pretty strong word...considering the op's looking for something small.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all replies - so quick! I appreciate them.

I think that the Ibanez might be a touch too large to fit in my bag though...!

@the Dude - what do you mean when you say the Lunchbox is a fail? I don't want something wonderful at any size, I want something 'goodish' and tiny!

As a for instance, I might need to walk 400 metres (that's like 440 yards for my US friends!) with a guitar in one hand and a bag on my back. I want something tiny. Yes I could drive it, but... Maybe I will buy a great amp as well, but I will still want something small and good. My microcube ticks most boxes; but just can't cut it at any sort of volume without breaking up.

Anyway, thanks again - I'll try hard to get a Lunchbox demo.

Phil
    Last edited by Philly112; 06-23-2011 at 02:00 PM.

User Info Menu

If you dig the sound of your micro cube but need more volume, why not get a Cube 15XL or Cube 30XL? The lunchbox, I agree is a fail.

User Info Menu

Sorry Philly, looks like it's "don't read the OP" day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Loaf
    If you dig the sound of your micro cube but need more volume, why not get a Cube 15XL or Cube 30XL? The lunchbox, I agree is a fail.
    See above - yes, it's a possibility (I have played a 20XL and it sounds good - actually I might well buy that or the 40XL as well). But that would be in addition to a small amp - I just need something tiny as well; I know that the ZT might not sound like Joe Pass in Nirvana, but it might make my life easier. Surely that's the whole point of it.
    Thanks for the comments though - if people really think that the ZT sounds rubbish, well I will take that on board. Money is not my primary consideration, but I don't want to be chucking it down a hole (my wife does enough of that).

Phil

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sorry Philly, looks like it's "don't read the OP" day
    Yes but you're doing your best though and many thanks! I am a new guy here and I don't expect even the sort of good responses I have been getting.

But, having said that - I don't want a Mesa Boogie with a 4x12 extension cabinet either.

Phil

User Info Menu

Cube's are so easy, pretty much the ultimate grab and go amp. The lunchbox on the other hand, with eq pedal, reverb unit, cables, batteries etc, is much more of a hassle. The cube alone sounds wonderful, the lunchbox not so much.

User Info Menu

The only other amp I can think of that might serve your purpose (light, easy to carry around) would be the Phil Jones AG-100. I haven't played it, but there are some reviews on the site if you search. It's not as powerful as the Lunchbox (100w vs. 250w) and it's slightly heavier at 11.5 lbs., but still a lot of power in a small package. I took a glance at the Phil Jones web site, and it looks like there are a number of dealers in the UK, so maybe you could even demo one.

Phil Jones Pure Sound & AAD Speakers Official | High End Sound | Phil Jones Pure Sound

User Info Menu

I have a Phil Jones Cub AG 100. The tone is very good, on a par with the Jazzamp for fidelity, although it's not loud for 100W at all. It just about ( but only just about) can hang with a quiet drummer - but that may be fine for what you have in mind. It's voiced with a slightly scooped midrange, but turning up the middle control gives quite a a fat jazz sound. If you demo it & like it give me a pm before buying; I'd sell mine, as I don't know any quiet drummers....

User Info Menu

Thanks again for all of the replies.

The Phil Jones amp is an acoustic amp. What does that mean exactly? Is it just voiced differently from an 'electric' amp?

Phil

User Info Menu

Hi, I tried the standard lunchbox and didn't like the sound so I sold it. I really needed to use the effects pedal on it. It is very loud and clean but I just couldn't get used to the quality of the sound.

You might try the Micro Cube Rx. I found it to be great for practicing and playing with a bass player. It takes batteries and is very portable. Played a gig on coffee shop deck with bass and acoustic guitar/singer and it held it's own. It has the same features as your micro cube but it has a tuner and metronome with a menu of drum beats. I love it.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

User Info Menu

How about this, I found this link on the net as I too was getting kinda miffed at farty bass notes on me micro.

Micro Cube Dissection and Repair

It inspired me to change the speaker from the 4 inch to the whopping 6.5 inch woofer you see in the attached picture and I just finished this project today.
    Is it a better sound? Well the bass frequency is better but the new speaker is a car audio speaker which focusses its sound directly in front and not at a wider arc like the original. I will say that the new speaker hasn't opened up yet but it aint gonna get louder (2 watts). I prised it apart switched to a new baffle and shaped the new speaker as it's just a wee bit too big then reglued and clamped it back into shape.
    I had to use thin rubber foam inserts around the speaker/baffle and I reshaped the contact point of the metal grill to baffle as the whole thing vibrated on some specific notes. It don't fart or vibrate now but the speaker does show up the amp on the clean setting as it has a slight fizzyness on the note decay.
    Car audio speakers come in pairs so if you want to try this out PM me and you can have my spare one.
    Last edited by jazzbow; 06-23-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: speeling mistayke

User Info Menu

Oh, forgot to mention I'm based between Scotland and Warrington!
    And on the old configuration (4inch speaker) I used a compressor to tighten up the sound which worked well and pushed the volume a little.

User Info Menu

I've owned both, and would pick the Lunchbox without a doubt. The Microcube is okay, and the effects can be fun, but nothing to write home about. I think the Lunchbox sounds great. I would agree that an EQ pedal and a reverb might be nice, but I own both of those pedals and have plugged them into my Lunchbox exactly once, just to see how it sounded. Sounded good, but I don't find them necessary with my guitars or room.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    How about this, I found this link on the net as I too was getting kinda miffed at farty bass notes on me micro.

Micro Cube Dissection and Repair

It inspired me to change the speaker from the 4 inch to the whopping 6.5 inch woofer you see in the attached picture and I just finished this project today.
    Is it a better sound? Well the bass frequency is better but the new speaker is a car audio speaker which focusses its sound directly in front and not at a wider arc like the original. I will say that the new speaker hasn't opened up yet but it aint gonna get louder (2 watts). I prised it apart switched to a new baffle and shaped the new speaker as it's just a wee bit too big then reglued and clamped it back into shape.
    I had to use thin rubber foam inserts around the speaker/baffle and I reshaped the contact point of the metal grill to baffle as the whole thing vibrated on some specific notes. It don't fart or vibrate now but the speaker does show up the amp on the clean setting as it has a slight fizzyness on the note decay.
    Car audio speakers come in pairs so if you want to try this out PM me and you can have my spare one.
    Really interesting, I too was considering changing the stock speaker of my Microcube because I hate how it farts in JC or Black pannel settings while hiting the low strings from my Jazzbox... until I discovered that the "brit combo" position (with gain set at the minimum) just sounded good, at least within the limitation of such mini combo, hence no deep bass but a pleasing midrangey jazz tone, just enough for my home practice.
    I don't get any farty sound plugging my Tele in the cube however.
    Finding the right speaker for better sound is another question, since the MicroCube is a closed cabinet with a sort of bass reflex (front vented), hence the specs of the new speaker should ideally match the original electronics and cabinet design of the Micro Cube; think impedance curve, sensitivity, bandwith etc....for best results and rewarding effort
    Last edited by mambosun; 06-23-2011 at 05:59 PM.

User Info Menu

If you're trying a few amps, the Vox AGA70 at £280ish has had v good reviews and has a 6.5" speaker - ie bigger than the microcube. I have a microcube and I find it a pile of cr*p, but maybe thats just me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mambosun
    Really interesting, I too was considering changing the stock speaker of my Microcube because I hate how it farts in JC or Black pannel settings while hiting the low strings from my Jazzbox... until I discovered that the "brit combo" position (with gain set at the minimum) just sounded good, at least within the limitation of such mini combo, hence no deep bass but a pleasing midrangey jazz tone, just enough for my home practice.
    I don't get any farty sound plugging my Tele in the cube however.
    Finding the right speaker for better sound is another question, since the MicroCube is a closed cabinet with a sort of bass reflex (front vented), hence the specs of the new speaker should ideally match the original electronics and cabinet design of the Micro Cube; think impedance curve, sensitivity, bandwith etc....for best results and rewarding effort
    Wow - thanks for that. Can't believe I never picked up on this...
    Yes, it has solved my farty sounds almost 100%! Not as warm as the JC or Black, but with a bit more reverb and tone rolled right back on amp and guitar, I think I can live with it now! It's certainly an improvement for me.
    Cheers
    Phil

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Philly112
    Wow - thanks for that. Can't believe I never picked up on this...
    Yes, it has solved my farty sounds almost 100%! Not as warm as the JC or Black, but with a bit more reverb and tone rolled right back on amp and guitar, I think I can live with it now! It's certainly an improvement for me.
    Cheers
    Phil
    You're welcome!
    I'm happy to learn that it worked for you too.

User Info Menu

or try the microcube bass amps ?
    slightly heavier but small bass combos are generally good for
    clean warm jazz guitar sounds

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    or try the microcube bass amps ?
    slightly heavier but small bass combos are generally good for
    clean warm jazz guitar sounds
    I might look into that - I should be able to demo one. I just love the fact that I can carry this thing into the garden on batteries and play away. Which of course I wouldn't be able to do with the ZT amps. Even though the MC is not a great amp, it certainly has me playing more than ever, which has to be a good thing.
    But again, thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions. I am now more at home with my Microcube thanks to mambosun.

Phil

User Info Menu

I use the Roland cube RX and I have the Street. Both good, light, sound really nice and can be pushed clean a lot more than the little guy you have. Same things you like about yours, ability to play it louder and fuller. RX has a matrix of 4 speakers. Sound production is a square function, 2 speakers sound 4 times as loud. And it has a few nifty features the mini doesn't have. I put an amp handle on mine and it's all I need on the streets or for a room.
    David