The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 108

User Info Menu

I have some questions about using a humbucker as the neck pickup on a Telecaster:

1) If you were putting a humbucker (for jazz) in the neck position of a Tele, would you choose a full-size humbucker or a mini humbucker.

2) Which humbucker would you choose?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

they both sound great. I'd used a '70s LP Deluxe pickup in a tele before. The dimarzio version is a little brighter than that gibson and doesn't work as well in a tele IMO.

Try a dimarzio 36th anniversary paf, a classic 57 or if you want to go boutique a manilius pickup.

User Info Menu

Thanks jzucker.

I have a friend who is a lutheir and he would route my Hiway 1 Tele body for $20.00 (I remove the neck and hardware first...to save him time) .
    This is tempting me. He has suggested a mini-humbucker route, but I have never had a guitar with a mini-humbucker. Hence my questions.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 05-30-2011 at 08:05 PM.

User Info Menu

it's tough to find a decent mini IMO. The dimarzio ones are very hot and very bright. They are used by Ibanez in the GB10 and I've had them in my soloway guitars. In both cases they are very bright IMO. The lollar one is decent but doesn't really sound warm like the '70s LP version. I have not tried a Gibson LP mini reissue but that may be a good alternative.

User Info Menu

I routed my ASAT Classic for a humbucker. After hours thinking about which pickup to install I finally opted for a Seymour Duncan Jazz as it was the most affordable of the ones I was looking at and it sounds great. All in all, you'll likely be happy with just about any quality pickup.

User Info Menu

I've seen it recommended in other threads here that a full-size hum is the way to go, and I agree, though I have a mini in my Squire Vintage Modified. You have so many more choices with a full size. Popular neck pickups for jazz include a Seth Lover, Gibson '57, or even a single coil CC. There are fewer choices with the mini, and most people will say a mini is a bit brighter and may distort more than a good full size humbucker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woyvel
    I've seen it recommended in other threads here that a full-size hum is the way to go, and I agree, though I have a mini in my Squire Vintage Modified. You have so many more choices with a full size. Popular neck pickups for jazz include a Seth Lover, Gibson '57, or even a single coil CC. There are fewer choices with the mini, and most people will say a mini is a bit brighter and may distort more than a good full size humbucker.
    Thanks...I was leaning towards the full-size route and I do have Seth Lover in my parts box. I certainly like the fact that there are many choices to consider/try.

Cheers

Dave

User Info Menu

a mini does not distort more than a full size humbucker. The mini has less output and is typically brighter. The mini sounds in between a single and a full size humbucker and some folks feel that it sounds more like a P90 which is very desirable IMO

User Info Menu

those CC pickups sound great but hum like crazy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    a mini does not distort more than a full size humbucker. The mini has less output and is typically brighter. The mini sounds in between a single and a full size humbucker and some folks feel that it sounds more like a P90 which is very desirable IMO
    Ummm...

Then why not simply pass on by the HB and stick in a P90? I prefer the sound of a P90 anyway.

User Info Menu

My Tele has a Seth Lover in the neck position and she gives me a nice jazzy tone. The pickup is voiced to bring focus to mids, smooth out and warm up highs while keeping a balanced sound

User Info Menu

I'd consider the best of both worlds...a Fralin P-92. It's quiet like a humbucker, has the drive of a humbucker should you want it, but it has the detail, especially in the lower strings, of a single coil. I like it so much I put it in my Heritage Sweet 16 instead of a 'bucker.

One of the details you don't mention is the body and fretboard wood on your Tele.

I'd call Lindy Fralin, who is very accessible, and ask for a suggestion, since he sells all types.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Thanks...I was leaning towards the full-size route and I do have Seth Lover in my parts box. I certainly like the fact that there are many choices to consider/try.

Cheers

Dave
    Dave,

If you already have a Seth Lover then use that pickup. It's great and no additional expense needed. Your quest should be done for now.

Cheers,
    Steve

User Info Menu

Ummm...

A little something called hum...
    Where is it written that every P90 hums? The Fralins are an example of a P90 design that does not hum.
    Last edited by bborzell; 05-31-2011 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bborzell
    Where is it written that every P90 hums?
    All single coil pickups hum

User Info Menu

those CC pickups sound great but hum like crazy
    Easy to fix that with volume and tone controls for the CC and the bridge pickup. Set the selector switch in the middle and turn the bridge pickup volume almost all the way down and you've got a CC bucking hum. I do it all the time with P-90's and Vintage Vibe HCC's. Works like a charm.

User Info Menu

Some P90 designs are set up to eliminate hum.

User Info Menu

A hum canceling P90 is not really a P90. Frankly, I have not heard a hum canceling pickup of any type nail a true single coil tone. The best I have heard is the dimarzio area pickups and next to a true single coil, there's a big diff. The demos I've heard of the fralins don't sound like "real" P90s to me. You'd be better off with a mini IMO.

User Info Menu

get the full hb route and decide later

i like the 72 gibson in mine but i also like the lollar special T tele pickup in there too (both for jazz although the HB is good for other things as well, more so than the tele neck)

As for which one YOU prefer you maybe you can go to a local music store and try something with a full sized HB and see what you think. If you want something a little brighter and not as hot try a mini.

User Info Menu

Thanks again for all of the thoughts and suggestions.

I also have a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat that I could try.

Cheers

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 05-31-2011 at 02:06 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Then why does anyone still use a single coil pickup?
    People put up with the singles because of the tone. However, if you're playing out and recording you will quickly find out that the hum is undesirable.

Bowing out now.

User Info Menu

I've always wanted a single coil and a humbucker next to each other, both "in" the neck position, but I've never seen anyone else do this.

User Info Menu

All single coil pickups hum
    I just ordered a Fender Noiseless Tele pickup, used off EBay to replace the SD Tele pickup in the neck position on my Faux Klein. I THINK it may be perfect for that spot. I played a Noiseless Tele and was disappointed that it didn't sound as much like a Tele as the Noiseless Strats sound like Strats. This will be a bit darker than a Tele pup in the neck. Anyway, it shipped today and with any luck, I'll have it before the weekend. My primary motivation was no hum in a heavy RFI area. Plus, no routing. Drop it in, solder, and done.

Bob
    Last edited by uburoibob; 05-31-2011 at 07:11 PM.

User Info Menu

The stock Tele neck pickup sounds fine.

User Info Menu

This whole thread makes me wonder... If you don't like a Telecaster, why not get a guitar that you do like. If a humbucker is what you want, there are countless solid bodies, semi-hollows, and hollows of every size, all of which come with humbuckers to start with.

If you already have a Tele and don't like the pickups, why not swap the whole guitar. It's easier.