The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

We have a local distributor of Eminence speakers and I am considering a new speaker for my '74 SF Princeton Reverb. The existing speaker is a replacement and is very inexpensive.

Which of the Eminence line of 10 inch (8 ohm) speakers would you suggest for jazz?

Many thanks.

Dave
    Last edited by Greco; 05-30-2011 at 11:23 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Last edited by kawa; 11-28-2015 at 07:44 PM.

User Info Menu

The DELTA DEMON is very good.
    I know it's not an Eminence but you should also consider the WEBER 10F150T.
    I tried it in a SF Princeton and it was fantastic.

Which 10" Eminence Speaker for Jazz ?-eminence-delta-demon-jpg

User Info Menu

Thanks Kawa.

Great playing on both videos...you play the jazz style I like the most !! Congratulations.

You wrote this as a response to a question:

Quote "thx! Yes, the copperhead is much louder than the stock jensen, and much fuller in the mids. It's just a bit nasal (in a good way, you can hear that little peak in the mids in my tone), and I've since replaced it with a weber 10F150T that stands between the jensen and the copperhead." END of Quote

Does this indicate that you prefer the Copperhead over the Weber? Just want to clarify.

Thanks

Dave

User Info Menu

I bought many 10" for my '67 Vibrolux Reverb Jensen C10NS replacement units, but finaly the best result was reconning.

I think '74 Silverface is also good and most sweet.

Please try to set T1?2, B3?4 for Jazztone.

Ted Weber know about the C10NS well, also ask him.
    Last edited by kawa; 05-30-2011 at 12:03 AM.

User Info Menu

The "Lil' Buddy" (8ohm, 50Watt) has a hemp cone, which removes all shrillnes and "icepick" from the top. It is mellow and smooth. I put one in an old Cube 40 I have for practice, and it was a sigificant improvement over the stock speaker as well as a 50 years old Jensen speaker. I think it's the most mellow 10" speaker from Eminence.

One could say that the "Lil Buddy" is the 10" equivalent of the 12" "Cannabis Rex".

If you want to go with a hemp cone speaker, you can also check out those from Tone Tubby (they are more expensive than the Eminence speakers, though).

User Info Menu

Hendriksen ( Jazzamp) used to use the Emi ragin' cajun in their Convertible amp. It is very loud @ 100Db SPL. They now use the Emi beta 10. These speakers both have ''jazz'' credentials, as the OP seems to want a ''jazz'' speaker. Otherwise the deltalite 10" is a good, neutral-sounding and efficient speaker. I have used a EV force 10 and it's wonderful for jazz, but it's no longer made and pretty heavy.
    To state the obvious, any replacement speaker will need to fit into a princeton cabinet -often upgrade speakers are deeper than the OEM original.

User Info Menu

The Delta Demon is a fantastic sounding speaker. Sounds like much more $$ than it costs.

User Info Menu

Eminence speakers are great for jazz!!!

User Info Menu

Anyone else use eminence Copperheads? I have 2 on their way for use in a Bandmaster cab.

Has anyone tried the Eminence Lil Buddy?

Which 10" Eminence Speaker for Jazz ?-eminence-lil-buddy-jpg

User Info Menu

I have one in an Avatar cab, nice warm speaker. I couple it with the Wizard in a separate cab.

User Info Menu

It's a hemp cone speaker - the 10" cousin to the 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex.

I put one in a 30 years old Cube 40 amp. It warmed up the sound a good deal and removed the shrillness from the highs. IMHO it's a good speaker for a traditional jazz tone (like Jim Hall, Tal Farlow in the 1950s). It's reasonably priced.

User Info Menu

I have one in my Roland 30x and it sounds fantastic. I plug my students in and the all ask why their Roland's don't sound as nice... It is the Buddy!

Oldane, Did the lil'Buddy fit in alright your Cube 40 without much trouble? Just ordered one for my orange cab Cube 40.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

No trouble at all, it's a direct replacement - no surgery needed. The Lil' Buddy fits nicely inside the amp.

You just unscrew the back cover, pull off the leads from the terminals on the speaker (they are not soldered on mine), loosen the 4 nuts holding the speaker on the bolts, lift out the old speaker and put in the new one, fasten the 4 nuts, connect the leads to the new speaker, put on the back cover and you are up and running. It took me less than 5 minutes.

Mind you, my amp is 30 years old, and I don't know anything about the internal cabinet dimensions of the newer Cube40 amps.

As for the sound, the Lil' Buddy improved the sound of the Cube significantly, but I still prefer the sound of my Redstone RS10ER cabinet with either my Mambo amp head or an AI head + a Sansamp Paradriver DI preamp pedal. And of course it can never replace a Blackface Twin Reverb (which still - after 45 years of guitar playing - is the best sounding amp I never owned).

User Info Menu

Without a doubt the downfall of the Roland Cube amps is their stock speakers. They're great amps with subpar speakers; an Eminence upgrade makes a huge improvement.

User Info Menu

I haven't played one amp with stock 10's that I liked and never bought one with speakers that weren't blown. All my amps (4) with 10's have upgraded speakers and I think more people would shy away from 12's if they knew what a good 10 sounded like. But, alas that would make the chiropractors very unhappy.

Lil' Buddy installed ... very noticeable difference, and as Oldane said, no hassle fitting it into my vintage (orange cab) Cube 40. I also noticed (what I think is) a slight increase in gain, but with that has come a higher noise floor. Anyone else notice this, or maybe I hooked up something wrong? It's not unbearable, and the improved tone is worth it, but it could be a problem for recording.

User Info Menu

Quite interesting! Anyone experienced it in a SuperChamp XD?
    Would this Eminence speaker be a worth upgrade (tone wise) if compared with the stock speaker?
    Would it physically fit in the cabinet (I mainly think about speaker depht and mounting screws)?
    Last edited by mambosun; 04-01-2013 at 05:27 PM.

User Info Menu

People have done it mostly in the blues/rock context. Ragin Cajun is more popular.

SoundClick artist: Kyle Ashley - page with MP3 music downloads

from BillM: "Just echoing a couple of other Super Champ XD threads that have popped up lately, the Eminence Lil Buddy looks like another good choice--not as raw-sounding as the Ragin Cajun can be.

Also, regarding loudness, a couple of people have experimented with replacing the 12AX7 with a 12AY7 or even a 12AU7. It has minimal effect on the tone, but cuts the maximum volume way down. It's a useful tip for apartment dwellers. And if you play out, you can pop the 12AX7 back in for a big volume boost."

User Info Menu

Any other advice regarding the mounting screws? Are the screws positioning standard? I don't want to drill additionnal holes, since I'm not sure about mechanical robustness of the cabinet design.

User Info Menu

Yes, same size is same mounting specs.

Points ; 10" 8??25W (minimum)
    Last edited by kawa; 04-03-2013 at 06:12 AM.

User Info Menu

I mounted and tested the lil Buddy in my Fender SuperChamp XD this morning.
    The change in tone is far more than subtle: bolder, smoother and really full bodied, perfect for clean jazz, almost matching a Princeton at far cheaper price! Power handling seems better as well.
    It's a quite different amp and I like it even more now.
    This Lil Buddy is providing this sort of classic "smoky jazz club" tone I was looking for, which should'nt be a suprise from a hemp cone...

User Info Menu

I have recently made the same swithc in my Roland 40xl. I found the change of tone to be very positive, more warmth and smoothness, which gave the mod amp functions a boost as well, while i had previously only used JC and Tweed setting, now the Black Panel setting has become interesting as well.I have noticed a slight increase in noise level in the amp itself, something people have explained as the result of putting in a more efficient speaker. I dont offer this info as a criticism of the change, merely a note of it, the sound quality increase is well worth the few € i cost!