The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

That's the main problem about upgrading, eventhough the specs seems promising, there's a risk of mismatch between the new component and the rest of your equipment chain; quite common in HiFi!
    In your case, I'm sure Roland optimised the perfect match between amp + speaker in their design, in order to obtain the best possible performance vs price; for instance (just a supposition), they optimised the balance between speaker frequency range and amp bandwith, signal to noise ratio and overall performance, hence the audible hiss you never noticed before with the Lil Buddy installed; as soon as you change a single component, this balance could be altered and upgrading won't therefore bring the expected improvment.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mambosun, I would be interested in hearingwhat you think of the speaker change on your Superchamp xd after a few days of experimentation. Wheather you experienced any of the noise increase, how you evaluate the tonal qualities fo the change etc.
    Best regards 0zoro

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mambosun
    That's the main problem about upgrading, eventhough the specs seems promising, there's a risk of mismatch between the new component and the rest of your equipment chain; quite common in HiFi!
    In your case, I'm sure Roland optimised the perfect match between amp + speaker in their design, in order to obtain the best possible performance vs price; for instance (just a supposition), they optimised the balance between speaker frequency range and amp bandwith, signal to noise ratio and overall performance, hence the audible hiss you never noticed before with the Lil Buddy installed; as soon as you change a single component, this balance could be altered and upgrading won't therefore bring the expected improvment.
    Well, maybe it's not that complicated. Speaker swaps in guitar amps are very common, because what sounds good to one player doesn't sound so good to another - tastes differ. Actually, the stock speaker has more emphasis on the highest freqencies than the Lil' Buddy has, so more hiss is not to be expected a priori. And like I wrote in an earlier post, I myself never noticed any increased hiss with the Lil' Buddy in my 1980s Cube40. When the OP hears more hiss, it can be because he listens more intensely to each and every sound of his amp than he has ever done - now that he has swapped the speaker. And yes, the Cube40 hisses a bit - both with the original speaker and with the Lil' Buddy.

Dane, that's really it. Being a recording hobbyist, I do tend to listen for those kind of things, especially when the change is new. In fact, at this point the background noise is not very noticeable at all. I'm also playing at a lower volume. And though the Roland is a little hissy, it's a dang great little amp, esp. with the lil'buddy upgrade. $100 for amp + $79 for speaker ... can't beat that!

User Info Menu

Eminence Legend 1058 is real good choice for the Fender Super Champ x2. It retains the blackface tone of the channel 1, and also keeps the different voices on channel 2 - but it sounds significantly louder (75 watts, 99 Db), making this practice amplifier ready to gig.
    However, the amplifier is still usable at bedroom level in apartment.

User Info Menu

I love the Eminence Legend 1058. I took one out of a Fender 80's Concert (it is labelled as a Fender speaker) and put it into my Princeton Reverb. That amp/speaker has the best Fendery tone, which I think IS the "jazz" tone in my head, and not an expensive speaker!

User Info Menu

Check the thread #2.
    I baught many 10" for testing.
    Eminence The Copperhead is the best.

Tone guide
    Eminence Guitar Speaker Tone Guide - Classic British and American Guitar Tone | Eminence Speaker

https://www.eminence.com/pdf/Copperhead.pdf

User Info Menu

My Evans amp has a 10" Eminence Delta, which I'm happy with. It produces a very smooth range of frequencies and stays clean at high volume. Good jazz speaker with no noticeable frequency spikes. If I use pedals to get some crunch, it does that well, but it doesn't overdrive easily.

User Info Menu

I also own a Fender the Twin, (red knob, early 90's series), which sounds fairly good, and came out with Eminence legend 12" , stock.
    The eminence legend 1058 on a small amplifier, such as the super champ x2, puts you in that territory.
    Its high power rating helps to brings out the low and midrange frequencies from the archtop, keeping however the classic "fendery" tone.

The copperhead seems to break up a little earlier, isn't it ?
    Last edited by arno_byr; 04-10-2017 at 02:19 AM.

User Info Menu

The Delta Demon is very good. I have it in my Cube 30x and it was a significant tone upgrade although I don't use the amp much anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Lil Buddy 10" great warm, efficient punch, no harsh tops, as Old Dane in my 1979 Cube 40w

User Info Menu

I have a small Cube 40 (1985) for practice and small gigs. Sounds good, but problems with dialling in the right EQ in another room or position and especially with changing guitar. I replaced it a some 1? year ago with a Eminence Cannabis Rex, and it sounds so much warmer, cleared and easier to dial the EQ (I play all my instruments at almost the same setting), great for jazz/fusion. This is so much better than the stock Roland 10'' and much more fun to play!
    Last edited by EC335; 07-02-2020 at 04:49 PM.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Lil’ Buddy. A great speaker.

User Info Menu

I recently made a "sound-enhancer" from an old cupboard (plastified chipboard), not a masterpiece but it works! Had to replace the back plate of the Cube (with larger and centred sound hole) and added some padding in the Cube. Much tighter sound! Got the basic idea from internet: sound...enhancer... DIY... etc. *Measurments in the plan (below) are not for the Cube 40 ! Which 10" Eminence Speaker for Jazz ?-03-jpgWhich 10" Eminence Speaker for Jazz ?-02-jpgWhich 10" Eminence Speaker for Jazz ?-04-amp-stand-jpgWhich 10" Eminence Speaker for Jazz ?-01-jpg
    Last edited by EC335; 07-02-2020 at 04:48 PM.