The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 32

User Info Menu

What model of Telecaster has nut 1 3/4 "?
    good for bigger hand...:-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Or alternately: Get a replacement neck from say Warmoth in the desired woods and with the desired dimensions (1.75" width and 12" fretboard radius is common on jazz guitars) and scale length (24.75" or 25.5"). A Tele neck is very easy to replace when the strings are removed (like a Strat neck). Or put together the whole instrument from Warmoth parts and get the benefit of also choosing body wood, picups etc.

User Info Menu

I prefer a little more room too. To the best of my knowledge the production models that come the closest are the American Deluxe and American Special with nut widths of 1.7" as opposed to the more standard 1.65". I've tried them and you can feel the difference.
    Last edited by Retroman1969; 05-04-2011 at 09:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Or alternately: Get a replacement neck from say Warmoth in the desired woods and with the desired dimensions (1.75" width and 12" fretboard radius is common on jazz guitars) and scale length (24.75" or 25.5"). A Tele neck is very easy to replace when the strings are removed (like a Strat neck). Or put together the whole instrument from Warmoth parts and get the benefit of also choosing body wood, picups etc.
    Warmoth is a good idea!!!
    Thanks
    kris

User Info Menu

G&L offers a neck option on the Bluesboy with the 1.75" nut width.

User Info Menu

The widest stock tele neck is ( according to what Fender factory literature you read) 42.8 or 1.675 inches which approximates
    1 11/16ths "

As was mentioned, G&L offers a 1 3/4

Were I to order a Tele style instrument..and I own a 2008 Am Std..
    I would get a G&L blues boy , hollow, no F hole with a 1 3/4 neck ,with an ebony board, antique white and tortoise pickguard...

User Info Menu

I find this issue to be frustrating as hell. Every guitarist I personally know and talk to would prefer a wider nut than 10 or 11/16". This was even talked about in the stone ages when I was at Berklee (late 70's)!

Right now I'm not looking for a jazz instrument, but a tele. Real-deal vintage tele sound all the way, except I want a 1-3/4" nut & 12" radius. I don't want to "build" one as that's a lot of distraction from music; but may have to. Years ago I did make & fiddle with partscasters etc. but have lost interest in all that now.

So far the G&L ASAT USA is the only factory model I've come across that gives you the 1-3/4" option. Some say it has a great tele sound; others say not. $1400 & up new. Maybe there are others; I'll keep asking & looking.

User Info Menu

Get any standard sized Tele, like a MIM or a CV and swap the neck with a Warmoth or USACG 1 3/4" neck. Yes, it's annoying, but if you are picky about fretboard width, you may also want to get a specific radius. fret wire and contour. It would be hard for any production Tele to deliver all those.

User Info Menu

I believe you're right Big Daddy. I've spent so much time googling & tdpri'ing the last weeks researching & pondering all the stuff I'd need to put together something that I'd be happy using, that my head's swimming.

BTW I was already contracting telemania, for the last year or more, but it was made chronic upon seeing the great Tommy Emmanuel live earlier this year. Yes he's a genius on the acoustic guitar, but he's also a badass tele man. CGP for sure.

User Info Menu

Donelson.. I harped on Martin and Taylor for years that the default nut width is 1 11/16ths and chided thme continuously about making guitars with "adult width nuts".
    Taylor finally went with 1 3/4 as the default width with 1 11/16ths on a very few models...

Martin does 1 3/4 on OM models and upper end models such as D-18GE..

A 1 5/8ths nut is absurd... 1 11/16ths is problematic..
    1 3/4 should be the MAS.. minimum acceptable standard.

The ASAT Bluesboy with the 12" radius neck and 1 3/4 nut would be ideal.
    I have heard these and though not exactly "TELE"... very much to my liking to a point of oreference.

I am considering one .. perhaps in a hollow version no "F hole"...
    White with an ebony board and tortwaz pickguard.
    To me, the ideal Jazz, and does it all guitar.

The whole idea of a wide nut and wide bridge string spacing has long been the standard for ease of play ( enter the classical and Flamenco players) and of "fingerstyle players" and fingerpickers....

It was in 1939 that Martin switched to 1 11 /16ths.. I can see of no valid reason to do this...

Simply getting an MIM or a CV does not solve the problem of the new age narrow brdige spacing as is on my 2008 Am Std... 2 1/16th where the vintage Fenders were 2 7/32... more than an eighth wider...
    Fender says for the modern style of play on the 2 1/16ths.. I have called them on this a few times and pointed out.. useless narrow nuts and bridges can be upgraded at the manufacturing point for no increase in cost and would alienate no one... where as narrow nuts and bridges alienate some..
    Their response.. no change planned.. you're the only one who has mentioned this.. we sell all we make.. no need to change.

This very discussion pops up on the TDPRI .. matter of fact the last few days there is talk of how to get things wider....

You're not alone...

User Info Menu

Looks interesting.
    How it sound?
    Very good. Of course, being a solid body, it lacks the "echo" of an acoustic box, but otherwise it's very clear, mellow and full (with D'Addario Chromes 12-56). The note separation of chords is excellent. The PU is a HCC from Vintage Vibe with Alnico II magnets, which is very sensisive to picking position and thus has a great tonal variation. Despite being a one PU guitar it can quack like a Strat when picked in the position which on a normal Strat would be between the neck and middle PU. To be frank, I like the sound of this frankenguitar better than my 1961 Gibson 175 - but of course that is entirely a matter of personal taste.

User Info Menu

Agile makes a "Tele" w/ a 1 11/16" nut w/ a 10" radius (Once a year Rondo Music--the U.S. distributor--takes custom orders on Agiles. So you could possibly get this guitar with a 1¾" nut)
    Agile TC-1200 RN Nat Spalted at RondoMusic.com

If you're not married to they idea of a Tele, a guy named "Big Lou" makes a Strat-type guitar with a 1 7/8" nut
    Big Lou wide nut electric guitar

Other than that, you can go with the aforementioned Warmouth. Personally, I don't like the over-hang on their fretboards (which is necessary because the necks fit in a standard neck pocket.)

I'd rather go with a USACG neck and rout the neck pocket to fit the wider neck.
    Last edited by Hoopskidoodle; 07-10-2011 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Hi kris and everybody else, this is my first time here- i kinda stumbled across this conversation because i myself was wondering the original nut width of fender tele's. Well i see its a mixed bag Larrivee is releasing a telecaster model, i just obtained one myself and the nut width is 1 3/4, not only that but there first 60 or so are all going to be made from mastodon ivrybone, im so used to the 1 11/16 width that im having a hard time but i absolutley love the sound so much that im going to force my hand to learn this neck and string spacing. You can get these casters with a seymour duncan mini humbucker in the neck position or a single coil lipstick /bradpaisley signature pickup, the bridge pick up is a seymour duncan remake of the 59 broadcaster and it sounds amazing! i a/b ed the lipstick neck pickup with minihumbucker and went with the humbucker imo its just got alot more character and when sat in the middle to share with the 59 broadcaster it creates a nice rich tone with a touch of broadcaster crackle. love the sound. I think there going for somewhere around 2K which is pretty good considering they just made the seymour duncan 35's that are going somewhere around 6,500$ / same craftsmenship same wood the " the duncans were one piece only difference besides the picksups"

User Info Menu

Hey that's good news NJA! I'm personally ignorant of this brand. I see that the website has a "??? coming soon" with the unmistakable tele body shape.

You can play on a 1-3/4" neck, just find what seems weird & work on that. In a few days you'll wonder what the problem was. Much better for chords & polyphony in the low positions.

User Info Menu

New to forum so hope this is helpful. I also need a wider nut on my acoustics or elecs. as I had a bad injury via table saw to middle and ring finger on fretting hand (BTW, I know a very good prothestic person if anyone else loses part of finger or damages and needs something to extend and shape close to what you had) - okay back to subject. I purchased from MF the cheapest Mex. tele, it's the standard ash maple neck, with discount code and haggling with other coupon from GC, the guitar cost me $370, free shipping. The body seems to me to be very nice for that price, and instead of white ash as looks in pic, it's really a nice butterscotch almost birds eye maple color. The neck is actually not bad - good and straight, though sort of fat and clunky for me, but has maple fretboard and certainly not 1 3/4 nut width (though I swear does seem a bit wider than the usual fenders) anyway, I then purchased from Warmoth pro neck, fretted 6150, 1 3/4 inch bone nut scored, rosewood fretboard, etc. Birds eye maple, and tuning wholes to fit the ones that came with MF tele (and the tuning keys also seem way okay to me) so the neck looks very close in color and finish to body and I really like the wood and stain , guitar neck is much nicer, is more playable for me and cost $303. And then I did the fender watermark decal, not to fool anyone just because I like that look. So for under $700, I have a pretty decent tele, that I can play. Might also be able to sell old neck for $50. My other guitars are Gibson 335 J-45, Taylors 810ce and Gretchs 6120, Godin 5th Ave, ya da, so nice to have a good solid body hunk of wood Fender guitar too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Warmoth is a great way to go. Wider nut and compound radius board, 10 to 16 inch.

User Info Menu

Hey y'all, hopefully this thread isn't completely dead. I'm jumping on because I'm interested in the tele sound, but would like a 1 3/4 width nut as well. I'd like to either build it through Warmoth or get a 52RI body/parts and put a Warmoth neck on.

With the wider nut width are there any issues or adjustments that need to be (or can be) made to the bridge? Basically, I'm wondering if the 1/16" difference from bridge to nut is a problem at all.

Any edification would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Since I last posted to this thread, I custom-ordered a G&L ASAT with a 1 3/4" nut and an ebony fretboard (<-- my avatar). Try getting Fender to make one like that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronZig
    Hey y'all, hopefully this thread isn't completely dead. I'm jumping on because I'm interested in the tele sound, but would like a 1 3/4 width nut as well. I'd like to either build it through Warmoth or get a 52RI body/parts and put a Warmoth neck on.

With the wider nut width are there any issues or adjustments that need to be (or can be) made to the bridge? Basically, I'm wondering if the 1/16" difference from bridge to nut is a problem at all.

Any edification would be appreciated.
    On a replacement neck and most custom options like the G&L, the full difference is only in effect at the nut. The extra width diminishes as you much up the neck so that the strings are aligned with the saddles on a standard bridge. Otherwise the guitar would require a bridge with custom spacing and probably a redesigned neck pocket and ferrule spacing. We did exactly that with an extra 1/8th of an inch all the way from nut to bridge and it required everything to be custom fabricated to accommodate the change. It was nice to have the extra space at both ends but it was a massive PIA to have to modify the fabrication specs on everything.

User Info Menu

I also see the Larrivee tele's are 1 3/4, though they seem a little pricey. Thanks for all the info.....now to make the money appear!

User Info Menu

I have a tele-style solid body jazz guitar with a 1 11/16" nut. My archtop has a 1.75" nut. To me, they feel very similar. My last archtop had a 1 11/16" nut and that felt narrower than the tele. I think the typical low-action of a solid body (vs. an archtop) makes the narrower 1 11/16" feel quite similar to 1.75" on an archtop...just my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronZig
    I also see the Larrivee tele's are 1 3/4, though they seem a little pricey. Thanks for all the info.....now to make the money appear!
    If you're just getting a replacement neck, even from Warmoth or USACG, it isn't too $$$, 'specially if you are finishing the neck yourself.

User Info Menu

I was kind of worried about the narrow tele nut-width when I ordered a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele. Can't say that I feel cramped on it at all. In fact I can't really notice a different from my other guitars with wider nuts, with the exception of a nylon string acoustic and a five string bass

User Info Menu

I just wanted to say that I recently traded for a Larrivee Bakersfield with 1 3/4" neck and I LOVE IT.

Larrivee doesnt make these anymore but the new Baker T can be ordered with the fat 1 3/4" neck

I figure mine is worth around $1800-$2000 but dont hesitate in picking one up if you have the chance.

User Info Menu

What a score punkavenger. They sure don't show up very often.

I've since settled on a fender 50's original, after playing a deluxe for a while (I think - they change the names so often, it was a few years ago) and an AVRI, which were both great guitars, but the necks weren't big enough for me. The 50's original Tele has a nice fat neck and that gets me 90% of the way there, in terms of comfort, with a 9.5 radius and 1 5/8" nut. I'm pretty used to it and switching between a Tele and a 1 3/4 acoustic has been ok. (I also have been through many an amp from vintage Fender and Magnatone to a few Carrs, etc, and ended up with a new Magnatone Twilighter 1x12. I haven't googled any amps for 2 years since buying - which is saying A LOT I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks for your update and congrats on finding it!

Quote Originally Posted by punkavenger
    I just wanted to say that I recently traded for a Larrivee Bakersfield with 1 3/4" neck and I LOVE IT.

Larrivee doesnt make these anymore but the new Baker T can be ordered with the fat 1 3/4" neck

I figure mine is worth around $1800-$2000 but dont hesitate in picking one up if you have the chance.