The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I'm the original owner of early Larrivee Bakersfield. It is a great telecaster. Extremely well made, beautiful rosewood 1 3/4" round full neck, a lam/veneer fingerboard vs slab. I got one of the first rosewood board models Larrivee made. The guitar came with the traditional tele pickup set. I bought an additional Bakelite pickguard from Larrivee that was routed for a mini-hum. The guitar currently has a Lollar minihumbucker in the neck and a Lolllar BS Tele in the bridge. The those two pickups in this guitar sound almost identical except for the differences due to pickup location. I should also mention I replaced the 3 barrel Callaham bridge for a six saddle Gotoh.

PS: Attempted to correct rotation of picture and instead uploaded both and can't seem to delete the lower one.

Tele with nut width 1 3/4"-larrivee-bakersfield-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Tele with nut width 1 3/4"-larrivee-bakersfield-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I had Laurent Brondel build me a wider than standard Tele about 4 years ago, he used a 1-11/16” (42.9 mm) nut width instead of the standard 1-5/8” (41.3 mm). For string spacing we used 2-1/8” (54.0 mm) instead of the standard 2-1/16” (52.4 mm) as well. The later was the widest supported by available Tele hardware. What we also did was to use a deeper “D” shaped neck profile which I really liked. These subtle changes in geometry made a big difference for me.

User Info Menu

I'm digging the Laravee Bakersfield and Laurent Brondel Teles, but currently happy with my Fender Richie Kotzen Tele with its 1.650" (42 mm) nut.

I added a concentric tone control (these do not come with a tone pot) over the volume pot and couldn't be happier with the results. Great jazz, rock, RnB tones and no hand cramping in the first position.

User Info Menu

I am no authority but I have played a LOT of Telecaster guitars over the past 55 years. Vintage Fenders had A, B, C, and D necks that many guitarists think refer to the neck carve. The letters refer to the nut width. A is 1.5 ". I have only played A neck Jazz Basses. Most vintage Telecasters are B and C necks. Never seen a D. C is about 1.65" and is good for a Fender.

I now play an after market neck that is an inch deep and about 1 75" at the nut. Excellent but Fender doesn't carve this .

User Info Menu

I love Big Necks! But at 1&3/4" width and 1" depth at first fret to the 12th fret sounds like King Kong dimensions LOL!

User Info Menu

Big neck, but it feels just right. Every other neck carve feels puny and more work to play.

User Info Menu

Well unlike you know who, you must have Large Hands!