The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: What FLATWOUND strings do you use/prefer?

Voters
519. You may not vote on this poll
  • D'Addario

189 36.42%
  • D'Angelico

2 0.39%
  • DR Strings

7 1.35%
  • Galli

3 0.58%
  • GHS

14 2.70%
  • Pyramid

21 4.05%
  • Rotosound

5 0.96%
  • Thomastic

278 53.56%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 177

User Info Menu

I use Thomastic Jazz Flat 12s on my 6 and 7 string archtops as well as my Tele. On the 7 strings, I have to add a D'Addario flat .065 for the low A. I'd prefer an .070 but they go from .065 to .075. I may try the .075 next string change and see how it sounds, but the .065 makes a pretty balanced set for a 7 string.

@Eddie Charles - I use a very light-weight collapsible luggage dolly with bungees for my SS amp and I put my guitar into a gig bag on my shoulder to keep the weight down. Toughest part is lifting the amp (35 pounds) into the back of the SUV. Just a suggestion.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!
    Last edited by ah.clem; 09-23-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added birthday greetings

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Forgot to mention that I use the Nylon coated flat wounds...I originally got into these when I played an Acoustic/Electric bass guitar (Martin). After picking up two solid body basses I decided the Nylon coated flat wounds sounded preffarable on these as well. I prefer a sound that mimics an upright as much as possible...I may end up with an upright some day.

Nice tip regarding the portable luggage dolly. I will look into this!

User Info Menu

find it odd that folks are more caught up in string gauges than string material.. pure nickel wrap of thomastik and pyramid is in no way similar (in feel or magnetic output) to stainless steel wrap of usa made strings..ie chromes, labella's et al

cheers

User Info Menu

I play ProSteel wound rounds and love the tone. The string is only as good as the finger than plays the string (that sounds dirty, but it's true).

Also, picks. You guys love talking about strings, but your choice of pick may have an even more profound effect on your tone.

What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-daddario-prosteels-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    find it odd that folks are more caught up in string gauges than string material.. pure nickel wrap of thomastik and pyramid is in no way similar (in feel or magnetic output) to stainless steel wrap of usa made strings..ie chromes, labella's et al

cheers
    I think people get caught up in gauges because gauge has a big influence on tone and playability. But I agree with you that gauge and materials are different issues, and I also agree with you about the differences you cite in feel and magnetic output.

I've tried Labella, GHS, D'Addario, and Thomastik Infeld, just about every possible set of each (with the exception of "light" gauge sets). The D'Addario chromes, to my ears, sound "generic", bright, and without question the worst. I tried to like the Labella flats several times but (regardless of what the folks at Labella claim) they don't look or sound like the old Labellas. Rather dull sounding bass strings, lacking in character. Likewise, the GHS set lacked the "fullness" I expect in flatwound strings, just too bright for my needs.

The Thomastik Infeld flats, on the other hand, sound amazing. Darker than the other three brands mentioned above, full yet lively, and the tone is much more balanced across the strings. Playing a Gibson scale semi-hollow, I find that the George Benson 14 gauge set is 100% perfect. They feel smooth and virtually no noise when playing Wes-style octaves, the tension is even across the strings and, most importantly, offer the nicest tone out of any flatwound string set I've used. They cost over twice as much as the others but sound ten times better. When I buy the GB14 set, I only cry once.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HighSpeedSpoon
    I think people get caught up in gauges because gauge has a big influence on tone and playability. But I agree with you that gauge and materials are different issues, and I also agree with you about the differences you cite in feel and magnetic output.

I can see your point about strings and gauges. I would offer if I were the only one wondering about this, other people wouldn't be talking about swapping out strings etc etc.

I wonder how TI arrived at their gauges ? ( hint - -if they made a 12/52's in flats I'd have tried them long ago. )

But I pay a luthier every year to set up each of my guitars, change strings etc etc.....If TI flats are 12/50 w/ thin 3rd and fourth strings, I'm looking at bridge and maybe truss rod adjustments I'd rather not have to make.

String gauge offerings at the manufacturing level just seem sort of arbitrary, and 'that's how we do it '........

.......just MHO.......

User Info Menu

The T-I GB112 are 12-53 flats, specifically, 12p, 16p, 20w, 28w, 39w, 53w.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    The T-I GB112 are 12-53 flats, specifically, 12p, 16p, 20w, 28w, 39w, 53w.
    Ok, so ten bucks a set more than Swings which are already ten bucks a set more than Chromes ?

I know nickel vs stainless.....

User Info Menu

This poll have been around for years! Can I switch my vote from D'A to T-I? I've drunk the Kool-Aid and it's tast-ee!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    This poll have been around for years! Can I switch my vote from D'A to T-I? I've drunk the Kool-Aid and it's tast-ee!

haha..crossed over to pure nickel double wrap nirvana have you?? leave your stainless steel ego behind..haha

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-04-2016 at 07:47 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

I use DAddario strings for the archtops. But only the wounded D,A and E strings. For the G,B and E strings I use plain coated Elixer strings. I happen to dislike a wound G string on a guitar.
    The Elixers are available as single strings, which makes them easy to change with no need to buy a complete set. They are very smooth playing. The lower strings have a very long lifespan so most of the times I change the high strings as per demand and the low strings just once a year or so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hotpepper01
    For the G,B and E strings I use plain coated Elixer strings. I happen to dislike a wound G string on a guitar.
    Elixir plain strings aren't coated; only the wound ones are. The plain ones have anti-rust chemistry, if that's what you mean, but they don't have Goretex nano or poly coating, which is what sets apart Elixir wound strings from all other wound strings on the market, and is the reason they last so much longer.
    Last edited by Danielle Muscato; 09-27-2016 at 02:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Charles
    Forgot to mention that I use the Nylon coated flat wounds...I originally got into these when I played an Acoustic/Electric bass guitar (Martin). After picking up two solid body basses I decided the Nylon coated flat wounds sounded preffarable on these as well. I prefer a sound that mimics an upright as much as possible...I may end up with an upright some day.

Nice tip regarding the portable luggage dolly. I will look into this!
    Who makes nylon coated flat wound guitar strings? I've never heard of such a thing.

User Info Menu

OK, so this is an old thread that floated up, and I just now voted (TI) but wanted to share a pic of a brand, and a usage not previously covered.

Before TI, the usual flat strings for my archtops were the D'Addario, mostly because of availabilty in the days before online shopping made everything so accessible.

BUT, before the D'Addario, another brand of flats, and instrument, pre-dated my jazz box use, and I still have a box (empty) to share a pic of !

My old Ric 360-12 stereo would get strung with the Ric "Electro" FLAT wound 12 string set (#433 ??) and as you can see the box gave the stern warning "DO NOT USE OTHER STRINGS ON RICKENBACKER INSTRUMENTS"

So the TI's are my preferred brand today, but it took many decades to get there. And while it's been many years since I've been near a Ric 12 string, I can't forget that oddness of the Ric flatwound strings that were favored by many players on that instrument. They maintained the "jangle" of the 12 string but tamed it well for recording.

What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-ric_433-jpg

and if you think that box looks old, check out my Ric amp. Who needs a power switch or volume control ?
    What flatwound string do you use/prefer?-ricken_back-jpg

User Info Menu

I like D'Addario Chromes. They last a long time and sound great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Thomastik Infeld all the way...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Thomastik Infeld all the way...
    +1

Love the timbre, the remarkable 'low-tension' feel (given the gauge/mass) and how long they last.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M-ster
    I answered D'Addarios, 'cause that's what I'm currently using; but I want to try some of the TI's, since y'all rave about them so much!
    Interesting to run into one's own posts, a few years down the road (6 yrs, 8 mos, at this point!).

Once I tried the TIs, I stuck with them. 13s for a while and more recently moved to the 14s. Very happy with them.

User Info Menu

Having used D'Addario Chromes & Thomastic Ti 13 gauge, both good, D'Addario Chromes far too much tension, Hexcore. approx 14-17 years ago they were Roundcore.

Ti are good but imo not a true 13 gauge set they are APPROX a 12 & 11 gauge set dont let the 13 & 17 fool you
    even the 13& 17 of Thomastic is thinner than most other brands . it is imperial i can feel the difference between a Ti 13 & regular
    13 gauge.

I have been using Pyramid Gold Flatwound Heavey 13-52, for the last 8 months, and they have the best harmonic content of anything i have used, the Timbre is also superior, (If you cant hear it it does not apply to you) they have a aThomastic feel, i do prefer Chromes finnish/feel slightly smoother to the touch. Intonation on all is good. Tension wise Pyramid is the lowest just like Ti also Roundcore, and are a True 13 set.

Ihave just purchased 5 sets. in case they stop making them, Da and the rest do this because it is cheaper to manumacture,

Pyramid & Thomastic were around a long time before DA, they are all good. Pyramid is just better, imo.

My little rant but give Pyramid a whirl they are seriously good.

PS all flatwounds in 50s 60 maybe 70s were Roundcore this is what Wes Tal Barney all played on, they all played heavy strings with, read correctly, super lo action

User Info Menu

I love the mellow thunk of LaBella Flats. 12-52s are my current faves, although I wonder about 13-52s or 13-56s sometimes...

User Info Menu

D'Addario went to hex core strings for good reasons, not because it's cheaper to manufacture. The hex core produces a more consistent tone, and a longer-lasting string. It's popular to bash it, but IMO it's a better string. Being traditional does not equal better. But string choice is a very subjective thing, and that's why there are so many choices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guido5
    I love the mellow thunk of LaBella Flats. 12-52s are my current faves, although I wonder about 13-52s or 13-56s sometimes...
    I have been using the 11 50 sets for most of the year. At one time I thought of them as sounding rather dead sounding especially on the low E. However, I seem to have come around to liking they way they sound especially when amplifying. It almost seems to me the response is a little more lively as you move up from the low to hi strings. Amplified, I think this can be an advantage as it stops the low strings from overwhelming the high strings.

On the other hand I might still be using these because I think I may have just become very tired of experimenting with and changing string sets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    >>SNIP<<On the other hand I might still be using these because I think I may have just become very tired of experimenting with and changing string sets.
    When this poll first came out I only used "Half rounds" but I was convinced that trying flats would solve some issues I had with a new guitar. Of the two major brands reported in this poll only Chromes were available locally, bought them, liked them, and I too do not like experimenting anymore so now I use .012" chromes.

User Info Menu

I have been using TI 13 to 52 flat for about 5 years but will be trying the Ti 14-56 for my next set. The TI’s seem to last longer than any of the other strings.

wiz (Howie????????